Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies  (Read 16872 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:47:17 pm »

Okay kids, let loose.  Personally, I didn't find this feature amusing.  Show of hands, who laughed and why?  

I expect the features will improve with time.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 04:48:56 pm »

I didn't find it hilarious.  It's actually a pretty valid complaint.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

fuddes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
    • http://dailyramblings.com
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 05:04:05 pm »

I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny.  It didn't seem like it.  Does anyone know who the other 15 are?  It'll be interesting to see how it continues.  I'm predicting it will bomb, just because it stretches people's attention span.
Logged
Humor columns and other stuff:
http://www.dailyramblings.com

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 05:06:20 pm »

I thought it was pretty lame.  And unfunny.

But if he wants to try his hand at "serious" writing once a week, or once every fifteen weeks, so be it.

Heck, maybe I'll even write something for it.

-- Jough

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
15
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 05:10:34 pm »

I figured the 15 are the other Achewood characters, and that Big O would be writing for them.  Just me, tho, and I seem to be in the minority.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 05:13:59 pm »

I couldn't decide whether he meant it as commentary, or an actual prank letter, or what.  Also, it wasn't related to Achewood at all; his other writing has been, except for the TV Guide piece at Serializer.  A less than stellar start to the Variety Hour.

And it only took me a minute to read, so that is flagrant false advertising.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 15
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 05:14:34 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I figured the 15 are the other Achewood characters, and that Big O would be writing for them.  Just me, tho, and I seem to be in the minority.


That's also what I thought until I saw this and it confused me: "Each Thursday Chris and his Fit Fifteen, a collection of his favorite writers from around the world, will post fresh new pieces you won't see anywhere else. Short fiction, topical essays, verse, cartoons...you name it!"

Edit: as far as how good it was, well, go back and read the first ever Achewood strip. Go on, I'll wait. Was it hilarious? Or was it a beginning, and introduction to grander things? Or was it just confusing and weird?
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 05:52:25 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
It's actually a pretty valid complaint.

Agreed.

Again, I think I'm going to give this at least a month before I start dishing opinions.  Anything less feels premature to me.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 07:59:44 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
I'm going to give this at least a month before I start dishing opinions.  Anything less feels premature to me.


that's what said with my first post on the new board . . . but it was in a different thread
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 09:22:44 pm »

I thought the letter to greeting card companies was pretty funny, but most of onstads comics are funnier.  the letter was kind of short if you consider that a picture is worth a thousand words, and it was more watered down than achewood usually is. I have always viewed achewood as distilled, straight up humour, which just plain taps into the core of funniness, and basically makes you laugh even though you dont know why. it is just that purity that lets the funny completely bypass your neural pathways so that you laugh but dont know why you are laughing. when I read the letter to the greeting card companies, I chuckled, but I knew exactly why it was funny.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 09:27:44 pm »

I thought it was a bit forced, and therefore somewhat lame.  But I am reserving judgment on the Variety Hour concept.  I think it could be a very pleasant diversion.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 10:02:00 pm »

Even though I didn't get to drag my one-star rating over with we, I'll chime in on this topic anyway.

I did get a kick out of the concept of greeting cards for people who helped you with quasi-illegal activities.  I didn't roll around on the floor, figuratively losing my ass.  But it brought a smile.  Well, a smirk, but let us not ask for miracles, eh.

What are the chances I'll be the first to get banned?
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

V-Adore

  • Guest
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2003, 11:29:48 pm »

I'm of mixed feelings about this week's Variety Hour. There were definitely flashes of funny in the letter, but the wit was so dry as to almost vanish; it felt a little too restrained, and other than the references to vaguely illegal behavior, it read like something a slightly-off-center customer would actually send to Hallmark.

IMHO, part of the problem might be that we're used to Onstad's comedic writing being channeled through the voices of his characters, most of whom are just naturally more visceral. When we're used to Beef and Ray and Teodor and Lyle, defaulting to Onstad's own voice sounds a bit one-off.

Anyway, I'm just waiting to see how this feature develops. This may not have been the best thing ever, but there's potential in the Variety Hour, I think.

(Oh, and to get other stuff out of the way: longtime board lurker, first-time poster, yadda yadda. Always meant to register at Dumbrella, but I never got around to it; figured I'd give this board a try. It's nice to be here, and my thanks to the lovely and talented board mods for all of this.)
Logged

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Onstad in College
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2003, 11:36:43 pm »

Has anyone read the stuff Onstad wrote for his college humor magazine?  The letter to the greeting card industry is very similar to that.  

A while ago someone posted a link in the old message board; I have no idea now what it was.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up