Try an' eat the ivory off that tower sometime, it'll cold chip your teeth all to hell and you won't be able to afford a dentist to fix your hella crazy grill. College is all 'bout learning to shrug off the dirty hippie in us all.
Indulge him and loan 'im the futon occaisionally, but soon he's gotta go to the Y.
the word we're looking for here is balance. have some fun in school but be prepared to kick the real world in the nuts before it gets yours.
Man, I never said that I was totally going to go rent a garret in New York and starve to death. I fully expect to go to graduate school and then get employed in developmental neuroscience, hopefully actually making cash money to be exchanged for goods and services. I'm just saying that I don't get the people I knew in high school who were just like "ho hum, I'll sit around for four years and then I'll be employable." (It doesn't help that most of them decided that they'd rather watch anime or smoke dope than go to class, and as a result most of them aren't in school anymore.)
Ash, V!
Calm yourselves, please. Allow me to assume my usual professional role of mediator and voice of calm reason (
riiiiight). Ash is much closer to my generation. V you are not. Things have changed a little since our day.
Our plan = liberal arts + something kinda career related = undergrad degree.
Your plan = liberal arts undergrad + career related grad degree = happy joy time.
I think what's changed is the necessity for a graduate degree. Whereas we felt comfortable cramming some greedy practical training into our first four years, nowadays four years post-prom isn't quite as highly respectable as it used to be. So, if you have to get a graduate degree anyway, why not postpone the unpleasantness of moneygrubbing indoctrination as long as possible?
Personally, I spent 3 years as a philosophy major, then 2 years as a journalism major w/ a philosophy minor. Then I got my law degree (which can alternatively be viewed as selling my soul to Satan or as 3 years of studying advanced logic and applied anthropology.)
Anyhooo... the point of this blathering is that 20 years ago it was more necessary to obtain some level of career education as an undergrad because fewer students found it necessary to grad school. Of course, all of the clever, smart and handsome ones did...