Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06  (Read 11732 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« on: February 28, 2005, 01:35:48 pm »

Ho hum. How about a menu for Greenland's only Chinese Restaurant? Since, you know, moo shu whale is funny.
Logged

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 01:44:15 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Ho hum. How about a menu for Greenland's only Chinese Restaurant? Since, you know, moo shu whale is funny.


My favorite:

Happy Celebration giraffe: Wild salmon or arctic charr prepared like a pineapple in shape and sweetness
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 02:25:22 pm »

Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Ho hum. How about a menu for Greenland's only Chinese Restaurant? Since, you know, moo shu whale is funny.


My favorite:

Happy Celebration giraffe: Wild salmon or arctic charr prepared like a pineapple in shape and sweetness


I'm a big fan of the strange:

Quote from: "Misigisaq Menu"

102) Kangaroo on an iceberg:  kangaroo filet in a  sweet and sour tomato paste


Now, I know because I have been monitoring this site as part of my plan to take a trip to Greenland and eat everything on that menu at least once, that the kangaroo was part of a special festival related to the Prince of Denmark marrying someone from Australia, but a first time browser wouldn't have ANY idea why the hell there is KANGAROO in GREENLAND.

I'm also a big fan of the obvious lies:

Quote from: "Misigisaq Menu"

62) 鱼香鲸鱼肉丝
   
Whale as fragrant as giraffe: whale meat, bought from the hunter,cooked in a spicy Sichuan sauce, popular throughout China


First of all, I can buy whale being popular in the coastal areas of China, but definitely not "throughout" and certainly not in an inland province like Sichuan.


And then of course the stuff that makes the menu from Temple of Doom look like candy by comparison:

Quote from: "Misigisaq Menu"

82) 北极人冰淇淋
   
Akutaq (“akusaq” in Greenlandic): a traditional Inuit favourite sweet for special occasions, called “Eskimo ice cream” - prepared from caribou fat, seal oil and blueberries。  Something like a cassata but with a whiff of seal oil.


WITH A WHIFF OF SEAL OIL PEOPLE.

Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE. I say PONY THE FUCK UP and we can charter an Achewood Greenland trip. Flights to Greenland unfortunately are on the little pontoon planes and run about $5,000 from Newfoundland. The other option is to go to Denmark and back via Iceland and that costs more money.

Flight information:

From Canada (I think this is one-way)

Everything else is from Scandinavia.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 03:00:15 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.


"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 03:09:26 pm »

Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.


"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.



Hoi Polloi tells you to go fuck yourself.

thank you come again
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 03:11:06 pm »

Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.

"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.

Excellent cookbook reference.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 03:14:57 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.

"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.

Excellent cookbook reference.



ahhhhhh!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 03:34:46 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE. I say PONY THE FUCK UP and we can charter an Achewood Greenland trip. Flights to Greenland unfortunately are on the little pontoon planes and run about $5,000 from Newfoundland. The other option is to go to Denmark and back via Iceland and that costs more money.


I'm in.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 03:57:02 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE. I say PONY THE FUCK UP and we can charter an Achewood Greenland trip. Flights to Greenland unfortunately are on the little pontoon planes and run about $5,000 from Newfoundland. The other option is to go to Denmark and back via Iceland and that costs more money.


I'm in.


Too bad I already have extensive travel plans this summer.  Get me some take-out?

I bet Ray would be up for it too, as he is fond of trying weird meat.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 04:04:19 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE. I say PONY THE FUCK UP and we can charter an Achewood Greenland trip. Flights to Greenland unfortunately are on the little pontoon planes and run about $5,000 from Newfoundland. The other option is to go to Denmark and back via Iceland and that costs more money.


I'm in.


Too bad I already have extensive travel plans this summer.  Get me some take-out?

I bet Ray would be up for it too, as he is fond of trying weird meat.


Next year! we will plan this for next summer. Not so much for you, but merely because of the logistics.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 04:57:47 pm »


Steamed Bread:  the staple food of northern China

COMMUNISM: EACH TO HIS OWN ABILITIES, EACH WITH HIS STEAMED BREAD

You think the capitalists have their bread steamed?  No way, comrade.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 05:01:10 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Next year! we will plan this for next summer. Not so much for you, but merely because of the logistics.


Oh, ok.  It sounded so spontatneous that I assumed you were planning for the near future.

I vote for the route via Iceland.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 05:10:18 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Next year! we will plan this for next summer. Not so much for you, but merely because of the logistics.


Oh, ok.  It sounded so spontatneous that I assumed you were planning for the near future.

I vote for the route via Iceland.


Fuck that shit, yo. This isn't a tour of joy. This is a two day excursion to Greenland to EAT fuck*ng STRANGE CHINESE FOOD. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO IN GREENLAND. Perhaps by way of road trip through montreal.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 06:16:15 pm »

It terrifies me that I am going to be in Canada next summer for a wedding. That and the ida of blueberries and seal oil...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 06:24:50 pm »

This thread amuses me, but only now that it's in the correct forum. Honestly, folks. Jeeesus.

Anyway, I do love the sheer absurdity of a Greenlandic Chinese restaurant serving a dish that involves kangaroo. Talk about the world shrinking every day...
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up