Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Poll

What should side_show do with a whole summer off?

enjoy the time off with-out any plan
- 3 (17.6%)
perform in insane play at the Fringe Festival
- 2 (11.8%)
get job a slack summer job
- 2 (11.8%)
masterbate in own filth
- 6 (35.3%)
what does "leisure time" mean?
- 4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 10, 2005, 06:15:51 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Side_show's Leisure Time  (Read 6803 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« on: March 10, 2005, 06:15:51 pm »

That's right all, since I'm working at a theatre school, and since we are closed in the summer, I am about to have three months off from work for the first time since I was 14!  That's right, I have the only three months that are practically guaranteed to be snow free, from mid-June to mid-September off!

I've squirrelled enough away so that I do not need to work for July and August, but we're talking basic living expenses here, not travel-the-globe- type money.  I'm a little bit scared, as, with the exception of a few long weekends I haven't had more than three days off in at least 5 years.  I freaked and told my SO this morning that I was going to get a slack job at a garden centre or something just to maintain my sanity.  Still, the tenative move-in date on our new house is July 1st, so I should have lots to do no matter what!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 07:05:28 pm »

I voted for the play, but without enough information.  It's not as much of a time committment as a job, is it?

Speaking as someone who just spent way too many months without a job (although, knock on wood, it seems that this is about to end), I can say that lots of time off without a plan can get old pretty quick.  But a play and a house and a big pile of books to read sounds better than a purely time-filling job.  Although, I can't help thinking, if you got a part time job at the garden center, would you get a big discount on plants to plant at the new house?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 07:37:32 pm »

I would assume I'd get a discount at the garden centre, hence why I thought about it this morning.

The play, if I did it would involve my friend who will be back from grad school for the summer and one of the best actors I've ever met.  And a hella' work.  And no money.  And lots of time.  And lots of fun.  But we have no venue, so it may not happen.  Still the Fringe is all about the beer tents at 2 am.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 07:54:32 pm »

I say do nothing, but wing it. If you think of something you want to do, and you have the time in between other insane schemes, and money, go do it. Just make it three months of doing what you want that you can manage. My entire life is like that most of the time...
It's like Office Space only less amusing.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:18:12 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
My entire life is like that most of the time...
It's like Office Space only less amusing.


So, every day is the worst day of your life?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 08:54:31 pm »

Man, just be cool and relax. If you think that getting a slacktastic summer job will be good for you, by all means, do it. If not, don't sweat it. The joy of summer breaks is just that -- breaks.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 09:05:47 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

So, every day is the worst day of your life?


Depends if you ask me on a day like this one or not...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:26 pm »

I vote for masturbation, but I like to do it in a clean environment.

Also, in those types of situations, I usually get at least a slacker job, day hours preferably, and one that lets you take time off easily with relatively short notice, with maybe a week or two of absolutely nothing to do.  That way, I have time to fuck around without feeling like I am completely wasting money.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 01:19:16 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "side_show"

So, every day is the worst day of your life?


Depends if you ask me on a day like this one or not...


I think she was.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 01:23:23 am »

I voted for time off without a plan, but unless you make some really great memories during that time you'll look back on it with regret.  So I guess my recommendation is don't make a plan, but find a way to do something interesting and memorable.  Maybe take a trip to LA, I hear it's nice down there.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 02:54:01 am »

That's what these locals say about Hawaii too.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 12:59:30 am »

My faith in humanity is restored - 'masturbate in own filth' is tied for the lead.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 04:11:39 am »

IT'S WINNING!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 04:36:01 am »

I love how "masturbate in own filth" and "what does 'leisure time' mean?" are running neck and neck. It's like... well, it's like college.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Side_show's Leisure Time
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 06:02:38 am »

I'm actually hoping to get my degree in Maturbation in Own Filth, with a minor in American Studies.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up