So now that I'm being asked for advice, I'm forced to confess that I pay relatively little attention to the current comics scene because it seems like every time I've tried doing that for the past few years it has turned out to be a bad idea. ("Okay, so Xorn died, but he turned out to be Magneto, but then it turned out it was Xorn's twin brother possessed by a sentient virus pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn. ..back under my rock I go.")
Anyhow, with that said, what I recommend depends on what you're looking for. If you want old Spider-Man cheap, the obvious recommendation is
The Essential Spider-Man, which is up to about seven or eight volumes, each fifteen bucks for a volume the size of a small phone book full of old Spider-Man reprints in black and white. Be warned, however, that it is not exactly the "essentials" as claimed; the Marvel Essentials tend to start at #1 and then trudge forward, so you get all the filler crap along with the 'essential' material. If this appeals to you, there are also Essentials for Iron Man, X-Men, Captain America, and basically any other license Marvel thinks it can milk bone-dry.
Other than that, what I recommend scattershot-style: I recommend
Fables to anyone who will listen. It is an excellent non-superhero comic. Another excellent non-superhero comic, Jeff Smith's "Bone", was recently published in a
one-volume edition compiling what was originally nine volumes of material into a portable and affordable form. For superheroes, my top-of-the-head recommendation is about a decade old: James Robinson's
Starman, although I think it clocks in at about ten volumes compiled so it may be a bit daunting. Anything with Alan Moore's ABC Comics imprint is probably good but will probably also be kind of weird. And while I haven't read all of it, Brian Vaughan's
Ex Machina seemed quite good from what I read of it.
So.. yeah, just some recommendations. I guess the Spider-Man thing was really what the question was about, but it's too late to pretend I'm not
a total dork anyway.