Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wilco Problem  (Read 3057 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Wilco Problem
« on: April 20, 2005, 02:18:11 pm »

I'm going to throw something out there for your consideration.  I think that Wilco on A Ghost is Born sound Beatlesque or more precisely they sound Paul McCartneyesque.  This comparison is particularly apparent on Handshake Drugs and I'm A Wheel but is evident in other places as well.   I think Jeff Tweedy has been listening to 70's era Wings.  I became convinced of this when I realized he makes the same cricket sound with his mouth on Company in my Back that McCartney used on Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.

I wonder if anyone else has drawn this same conclusion.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 02:35:04 pm »

I hadn't noticed that, but I did invoke the Beatles in my experiencing A Ghost is Born.  I've come to the conclusion that Tweedy/Bennett is one of those songwriting teams in which the whole is better than the individual parts, such as Lennon/McCartney, Strummer/Jones, or Staley/Cantrell.  Jay was the one pushing the avant garde stuff, and Jeff was all writing the good melodies.  After Jay left the band, Jeff tried to stay avant garde, and wasn't up to the task by himself.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 03:43:22 pm »

I was just thinking about this band for some reason.  I have been curious about them ever since they did the records with Billy Bragg, but not enough to spend money...  Does anyone know where I can hear some of their music online without stealing?  There doesn't seem to be anything on their website, all I can find are the tiny useless clips they have on Amazon.com.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:12:15 pm »

Torrents of Wilco shows are all over the place.  This blog will direct you to some.  Wilco has said it's OK to trade recordings of their shows.
http://blog.largeheartedboy.com/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 10:40:38 am »

I saw Wilco tonight and it was simply amazing.  Their music is so beautiful it gives me goose bumps and/or brings me to tears.  Before the show I met David who taped the show which I will have in my possesion before long.  He gave me a 4 disc 2004 tour compilation which I am listening to at this moment.  It's a first rate recording job.  If anyone wants it it's yours for the price of an e-mail.

After the show I asked Jeff Tweedy about what I had percieved as a Paul McCartney influence on his music.  I didn't know if I was maybe just projecting because I had mentioned this to some other people and no one really agreed with my assesment.  Jeff however said that my perceptions were correct.  He loves Paul McCartney and cited Ram as a particular favorite.


As cool as that picture of Jeff Tweedy and I is, this is my favorite picture of the night.


~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 03:32:57 pm »

Paul, you son of a bitch.  How do you do it?

Surely Jeff Tweedy was not particularly interested in a basket of fruit or scented candles?
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 04:30:39 pm »

I really do think it's the 'stache. It has powers the rest of us can only dream of.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 04:39:12 pm »

It's that shirt.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 06:19:26 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
It's that shirt.


It's clearly both.  Power combo.  No one can resist.

The only song I know well enough from Wilco to love is Misunderstood.  And I love it dearly.  Of course, they didn't play it when I saw them a few months ago.  But I can't complain too much, as I wasn't there to see Wilco as much as the opening band, Calexico.  But the show was good.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 10:33:47 pm »

I have the last three Wilco albums on my iPod right now, but I've only heard the previous album, Hotel Yankee Foxtrot, and wasn't impressed.  I keep meaning to give them another listen to see what the hubbub is, but when I did listen to them they sounded like they were afraid of melody or songs with more than one dynamic movement (i.e. they were all monontonous (in the literal sense) dirges).

That was my first impression, anyway.

But I mean, I love the Flaming Lips and they're not exactly good with song structure either.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 11:43:41 pm »

Quote from: "Max"
Surely Jeff Tweedy was not particularly interested in a basket of fruit or scented candles?

True, the offering must be tailored to the recipients specific taste.

For Jeff Tweedy it's a no brainer.



~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 11:46:10 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I really do think it's the 'stache. It has powers the rest of us can only dream of.

Actual conversation...

Me- I enjoy your music.

Jeff Tweedy- And I'm enjoying your moustache.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 01:14:28 am »

As a rule of thumb jough I'd say it's only fair to listen to an album enough times that you get its title right, before you dismiss it.

In all seriousness, it's a good album; it took some time to hook me, too.  Just keep listening to "Jesus, Etc." until you get it - that's what I did.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 02:07:03 am »

Yeah, I tend not to spend *too* much time listening to music I don't like.  I'm weird like that.

But I'm giving YHF another try right now.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Wilco Problem
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 02:18:19 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Me- I enjoy your music.

Jeff Tweedy- And I'm enjoying your moustache.

This will go down in history as one of humanity's perfect conversations.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up