Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Weezer "Make Believe"  (Read 2550 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weezer "Make Believe"
« on: April 24, 2005, 04:32:25 am »

I got to hear the new Weezer album tonight, and it is good.

Although once again they released the album's worst song as the first single.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:45:36 am »

Kind of like NIN did. It must be a new trend. I guess making people think your album will be bad sells more?
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 04:50:11 am »

Oh, I don't even know what the NIN single is.  The album is starting to grow on me, though.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 05:26:29 am »

I guess my friends are seeing them up in Seattle soon, and they're excited.  I loved the blue album, but I haven't heard more than a handful of songs since that one.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 06:32:27 am »

Yeah, I was never a fan until recently.  I knew of the singles from the blue album (heck, the video for "Buddy Holly" was even included as a multimedia demo on the original Windows 95 installation disc) but never owned the album until last fall.  I picked up the other three since I liked it so much.

I really like Pinkerton, but the last two albums didn't do much for me.  The new one is a lot like Pinkerton musically, actually.

I mean, you just GOT TO love a band who follows up a smash success with a rock reimagining of Madame Butterfly.  Could anything have less commercial potential? (other than the Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink *****").

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 05:58:14 am »

Pinkerton is probably the album I've heard the least amount of, even though it's probably the one most often recommended.  I wasn't listening to the radio a lot when it was released, and I don't think it got much play anyways.

It's going on the list.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:49:09 am »

I always saw Weezer albums as,

Blue : Pinkerton

Green : Maladroit

hooky and clean-cut : noodley and bearded

I'm going to have to rethink this after I hear the new one.


I thought Weezer 95 was actually from Happy Days for years after I saw that video. I also thought there were multiple Weezers because of the "Our very own...Weezer!" line. Windows again, huh?
Logged
I am older now.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 11:42:29 am »

I'm rather torn on Weezer.
There was a time I obsessed and I have a whole burned copy of bsides I made of their stuff, but honestly in the past few years, I've listened to them very little.

Pinkerton did have some staying power among them all though.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 12:50:57 pm »

People always say that Pinkerton is the best album but dammit I relate to Blue much more. I had a 12-sided die, and Kittie Pryde! And Nightcrawler too, waiting there for me. Although a friend had to tell me who Ace Freely was.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 04:23:08 pm »

Yeah, I like the songs on the blue album better too.  Pinkerton is just such a bold and odd albums that you have to respect it.  You just have to.

And I think it's a more musically "mature" work than the blue or green albums.  The new one is actually more frat-boy-rock-ish.  Seriously, some of this stuff sounds like Smash Mouth or one of those "Kid Kid Yellin'" bands.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 05:35:34 pm »

I noticed the Smash South similarity in the new single. I liked that stuff better when it was the theme song for Arthur on PBS.

edit: I meant PBS and not TBS.
Logged
I am older now.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:20:17 pm »

I think I am the only person in my age range who is totally indifferent to Weezer. I don't not like them, but I'm not a fan either.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 10:44:35 pm »

Wow.  So I was at my grandparents today, watching TV because they have satellite and I don't even have cable, while skipping class, and I saw the video for Beverly Hills (or whatever it's called) twice.  I really didn't like it.  Usually I am OK with videos that feature attractive people dancing, but it really bothered me.

But you say that the rest of the album is better?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 10:45:47 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Wow.  So I was at my grandparents today, watching TV because they have satellite and I don't even have cable, while skipping class, and I saw the video for Beverly Hills (or whatever it's called) twice.

Vi-de-o?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weezer "Make Believe"
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 06:09:23 am »

Yes, but in a Weezer video those beautiful people are viewed with a great deal of scorn.  

Oh, and that stupid section in the middle of the video where he talks for a bit (always annoying in songs after the first listen) is not on the album.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up