registration process is pretty and easy, albeit bright inregards to the colors.
Yeah, I like my stuff bright, but I'm going to be making new "themes" for the site once I get the content/features done and sorted out. So the default style for the site may change next month. How's that for consistency?
when it comes to registering for stuff, i'm usually at a "frustration" point anyways (i have to register to get in? grrr....), so i have a tendency not to read a lot of the instructions.
Well, you don't *have* to log in to read anything on the site (yeah, I hate that too) but if you want to save personal information, favourite poems, leave comments, etc., well, then what other choice do you have other than a tracking cookie? And people tend to hate cookies too.
Still, I'm waiting to see if any "bugmenot" accounts appear.
so, when presented with the "welcome" page after reg'ing the account and verifying the email, i'm at the "manage account screen".
How was the verification process for you? Was the email short yet informative enough that you knew what to do without a lot of effort?
The only reason I'm using the extra step at all is because I wanted to make it easy for people to sign up for the newsletter during registration - and I don't like to have anything where someone can fill in an email address to get signed up for anything happen without verifying that the address belongs to that person, or at least that they have access to that account.
Otherwise people could use the site to spam their friends and loved ones. Or even their enemies.
looking at it for, such as, .5 seconds and trying to quickly figure out if i have to _do_ anything or if the defaults will be ok
Yeah, I'm not sure how to let people know what the state of their account settings is. PHP BB doesn't do ANYTHING to let people know what they can do next and it seems to be pretty successful.
Maybe a box of current account settings with a little "change" button next to them if people want to change them?
wtf is a "list"?
Yeah, I've been having trouble with classifying the lists.
I was originally only assigning one list to each user, and so I didn't even have a list table, or names for the lists, etc. Just a table of poems and users.
But then I thought it may be nice for people to have more than one list, and if they have more than one they'll want to name them.
Here's a question: should I auto-create the first list and call it "username's favorite poems" or something? Then make it clear from the welcome page that that list exists and that they can edit its options right away if they wanted?
I figured it would be easier and clearer to just provide links to the "Create list" form which has more detailed info on it.
So since people can have more than one, referring to them as "favorite poem lists" or something like that wouldn't really work. Poem Lists? The only thing you can add to lists right now are poems, although that could change I suppose.
at this point of my account creation, i have to _assume_ i know or think i know what a "list" is and what it is of.
so, maybe put a quick definition of a "list" on that page.
Good idea.
Thanks for your detailed observations, ark. I was spending so much time on the backend that the "home" pages for every major site section was pretty much an afterthought. So this week I'm going to work to pretty them up, make the workflow easier to follow, simplify, simplify wherever possible.
This whole listmaking thing was a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. I was responding to the seemingly simple request "have there be a way to save my favorite poems" and then I realised that there's really no model for this kind of feature. I'm not saying I'm breaking any new ground here, because it *is* pretty simple, but I've never seen another content site offer ways to save links to pieces of that content from within the site.
I know people have browsers with "bookmark" or "favorites" capabilities, but that doesn't really allow them to share those links with others, add comments about them, see lists of other people who have similar items on their lists and see what else they have so you can read new stuff that people who like a lot of the same things that you like have added, etc.
I haven't even implemented half of the list features yet because there's not enough list data to make any of the above useful.