Well, I was able to sneak into San Fierro by going over the beach and I didn't get any wanted stars either.
Roads to Los Santos are blocked off, although I was able to get a plane and fly back to the old hood. It wouldn't let me do ANY missions though, nor enter CJ's house to reclaim weapons.
No big deal. Angel Pines is RICH with hidden weapons and ammo, especially for being such a small area.
And I found that a few of the early missions (mentioned earlier in the thread) were much harder than some of the later Los Santos missions, most of which I was able to complete in the first pass.
I think it's because after miserable defeat and getting stuck on say, the Drive-By or OG Loc mission (the first one with the bike) for so long I just spent time wandering the city, doing side missions, and building up my stats. I had maxed out the motorbike level-up and reached hitman status on the AK-47 and SMG before re-trying the OG Loc mission, and was able to beat it on the first try again after leaving it be for awhile.
So building up your character is essential. I'm glad I spent the four hours or so tagging the place up - not just for the gift weapons, but also because I was improving my stats and learning the layout of the city pretty well in the process (the graffiti is pretty much EVERYWHERE which means you have to visit every area of the city).
Great game, though. I do find the driving missions to be frustrating, especially when you fail because some cars just ram into you. The "I'm doing everything right but the game made me fail" thing is just hell of frustrating. I swear I almost broke my computer in rage a few times.
Oh, also, the "dancing" or low-rider hopping missions are IMPOSSIBLE with a keyboard, because the game requires SW, NW, NE, SE movements, but does NOT accept pressing "up" and "left" simultaneously to achieve it. You NEED a game pad to finish those (I borrowed one from someone).
Sounds like a bug, but at least they should list an eight-directional game pad as a REQUIREMENT.