Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Poll

Achewood Convention

Great Idea
- 10 (76.9%)
Terrible Idea
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 16, 2005, 03:26:52 pm


Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Achewood Convention  (Read 16769 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Achewood Convention
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2005, 06:47:37 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

How close are you to BC? Are you seriously in the middle of the Bering Sea? Cause Cali people can drive/fly/swim up to BC with a little difficulty.


http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.806863,-121.992188&spn=12.490892,30.810059&hl=en


What's your point?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Achewood Convention
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2005, 07:05:47 pm »

The map I got from clicking didn't even show Alaska.

Elbonia looks to be about halfway between the Alaskan Mainland and the end of the Aleutian Chain. It also looks like she could fly almost due south and find Hawaii in about the same distance she could fly due East and find BC.

She's about as far out in the middle of nowhere as I am, the difference being a hell of a lot more people want to come to Hawaii than Unalaksa.

That would be Bumfuck for sure....and even more so on Christmas, when I'm on the beach.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Achewood Convention
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2005, 07:18:07 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The map I got from clicking didn't even show Alaska.


i did not realize how the google map "create map" link worked.  it links to a "normal" google map rather than a static "snap shot" of a map.  

at 1024X768 in a full size window of firefox, the map shows a "smidgeon" of the southern tip of alaska and a "smidgeon" of the north edge of california, thus centerring upon the length of oregon, washington, and half of British Columbia.  this disregards the lack of population density north of sacramento.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Achewood Convention
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2005, 07:57:09 pm »

I was just at the Brickskeller last night, oddly enough.  I enjoyed an Anderson Valley ESB, an Otter Creek Copper Ale, and a Bitburger.  I did NOT enjoy their chicken wings, which are battered and fried and have the sauce on the side.  That is FUCKED up.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Achewood Convention
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2005, 08:11:48 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I was just at the Brickskeller last night, oddly enough.  I enjoyed an Anderson Valley ESB, an Otter Creek Copper Ale, and a Bitburger.  I did NOT enjoy their chicken wings, which are battered and fried and have the sauce on the side.  That is FUCKED up.


I have been known to take out six Lindemann's Framboise and cheese fries BECAUSE I AM GIRLY.

OK PEOPLE SO WHEN ARE WE GONNA DO THIS.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Achewood Convention
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2005, 08:21:51 pm »

I'm in Delaware at the moment trying to have a vacation (but mostly obsessively checking the weather map on the internet) but I would be up for any other weekend, as long as CJ and my husband come to protect me from Bobby.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Achewood Convention
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2005, 08:47:08 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I'm in Delaware at the moment trying to have a vacation (but mostly obsessively checking the weather map on the internet) but I would be up for any other weekend, as long as CJ and my husband come to protect me from Bobby.


BRING THEM. The more the merrier.

As for Deleware, fuck it. I was at Cape Henlopen this last weekend for a wedding (which was great), and got some beach time in (which was great), except for the innumerable hossflies attacking me (which was not so great).
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Achewood Convention
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2005, 08:47:13 pm »

My wife is having a baby the week of July 25th, so I may be tied up for a while.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Achewood Convention
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2005, 08:49:22 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My wife is having a baby the week of July 25th, so I may be tied up for a while.


Suggestions? August sometime? Or during labor?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Achewood Convention
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2005, 08:56:13 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My wife is having a baby the week of July 25th, so I may be tied up for a while.

Good luck with that. Er... right.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Achewood Convention
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2005, 10:42:50 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My wife is having a baby the week of July 25th, so I may be tied up for a while.


Dang y'all always have some lame excuse or other.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Achewood Convention
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2005, 12:23:25 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My wife is having a baby the week of July 25th, so I may be tied up for a while.


Dang y'all always have some lame excuse or other.


Back in my day, people used to go out drinking WHILE giving birth! To celebrate the fact that they could drink again!
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Achewood Convention
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2005, 01:15:26 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The map I got from clicking didn't even show Alaska.

Elbonia looks to be about halfway between the Alaskan Mainland and the end of the Aleutian Chain. It also looks like she could fly almost due south and find Hawaii in about the same distance she could fly due East and find BC.

She's about as far out in the middle of nowhere as I am, the difference being a hell of a lot more people want to come to Hawaii than Unalaksa.

That would be Bumfuck for sure....and even more so on Christmas, when I'm on the beach.


Yep. The worst part about it is that our runway is tiny. There is no way that I can fly anywhere else other than Anchorage. Even if I wanted to go to another island in the Aleutian chain, I would probably have to fly to Anchorage first (our hub city) and then get another flight out. Our runway can hardly accommodate a 737, and the terrain here is too dicey for an instrument approach. So the jets almost never make it in, but the little 30-passenger turboprop airplanes do pretty well.  Of course, the fuel mileage on those things means that the 800-air-mile trip to Anchorage is as good as it gets. There has been some demand for flights from Elbonia (the name of the port that is part of Elbonia) straight to Seattle, but unless we got a magically lengthened runway it ain't gonna happen.

So, yeah. I live on one of the most beautiful places on earth, which happens to be on a rock in the middle of the Bering Sea.  I will have to post some pictures of the Aleutian summertime -- it's stunningly beautiful here. It looks like Ireland or Scotland, it's so green and lush. Of course, we only have about six trees because of the insanely high winds here.

Tangent! I'm glad that you all came along with me on that one.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Achewood Convention
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2005, 01:23:39 am »

Quote from: "linnea"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The map I got from clicking didn't even show Alaska.

Elbonia looks to be about halfway between the Alaskan Mainland and the end of the Aleutian Chain. It also looks like she could fly almost due south and find Hawaii in about the same distance she could fly due East and find BC.

She's about as far out in the middle of nowhere as I am, the difference being a hell of a lot more people want to come to Hawaii than Unalaksa.

That would be Bumfuck for sure....and even more so on Christmas, when I'm on the beach.


Yep. The worst part about it is that our runway is tiny. There is no way that I can fly anywhere else other than Anchorage. Even if I wanted to go to another island in the Aleutian chain, I would probably have to fly to Anchorage first (our hub city) and then get another flight out. Our runway can hardly accommodate a 737, and the terrain here is too dicey for an instrument approach. So the jets almost never make it in, but the little 30-passenger turboprop airplanes do pretty well.  Of course, the fuel mileage on those things means that the 800-air-mile trip to Anchorage is as good as it gets. There has been some demand for flights from Elbonia (the name of the port that is part of Elbonia) straight to Seattle, but unless we got a magically lengthened runway it ain't gonna happen.

So, yeah. I live on one of the most beautiful places on earth, which happens to be on a rock in the middle of the Bering Sea.  I will have to post some pictures of the Aleutian summertime -- it's stunningly beautiful here. It looks like Ireland or Scotland, it's so green and lush. Of course, we only have about six trees because of the insanely high winds here.

Tangent! I'm glad that you all came along with me on that one.



From Wikipedia:

Quote

Elbonia has a large non-Italian community known for their antipasto.


Go figure. Well, you know what they say: When in Nome...
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up