Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.  (Read 3499 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Or, What are you reading now?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:01:12 pm »

Maybe 14 pp is long for a thread here at the acheboard, but if it's still active and on-topic, shouldn't we encourage that kind of behavior?

Hell, I've seen threads over 100 pages long on other boards, and those remain on-topic and active.

Why for, August? Why for?


Edited to remove heelitude
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 09:37:21 pm »

Ilium but I'm like 6 pages in. It's the first Simmons book I've read but I've heard many times that Hyperion = good.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:54:24 pm »

This is a better thread title.  That's why for enough, isn't it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 11:59:33 pm »

Woo Hoo! Validation!

And from a hot chick no less.  Woot.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 12:20:36 am »

I still don't get it.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 12:52:10 am »

I have mostly been reading a lot of comic books. Many of them were not very good but some of them were excellent. Also, I reread Howl's Moving Castle more or less as a direct result of the movie.

I guess I don't sound extremely literary, but it's more that I just really like comic books. I'm sure nobody would ever have guessed that.
Logged

editor

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 41
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 09:03:10 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Ilium but I'm like 6 pages in. It's the first Simmons book I've read but I've heard many times that Hyperion = good.


!!

Yes, Hyperion is excellent and Ilium is another good one.

Hope you enjoy the read as much as I did.  BTW, the sequel, Olympos, comes out in July.
Logged
Congratulations, you broke the Internet.  Good job.


Don't you hate #####?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 09:30:58 pm »

Finished the Human Factor by Graham Greene a few days ago, and it was really fantastic.  I think it's officially the first spy novel I've ever read, and also the first Greene novel I've ever finished (started but never finished the Orient Express--it was great, but I do have a problem finishing novels sometimes).  From what I've heard, there is much less violence in the Human Factor than other spy novels, but it certainly didn't diminish the excitement and dread.  I've read some people complain that it was basically a political tract for communism and the anti-apartheid movement.  Well, I guess it is a bit sympathetic to communism, but it certainly wasn't propaganda (for example, Stalin's atrocities are compared to--and in the eyes of the communists, perhaps some how mitigated by, the bomging of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the British bombings of Hamburg.  But it's not like the message was USSR good West bad).  And yes, it certainly takes a position against apartheid.  Apartheid was certainly horrible, and for all I know the novel being published at the time it was may have been important to the anti-apartheid movement, but I understand why people are annoyed by overt proselytizing in fiction.  However, I don't feel that it ever got in the way of enjoying the novel.

I started Joy in the Morning this morning while waiting at the auto shop.  Only my second Wodehouse book, and already I am totally engrossed.  I again decided to put off Demons, because I have been really stressed lately, and lighter reading helps to calm me down.

After this I will read some more Elmore Leonard and start the Lew Archer series by Ross Macdonald.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 11:15:24 pm »

Over the last week (family reunion in Destin, Florida, woooo!) I read:
1. Cosmic Trigger- The Final Secret of the Illuminati, by Robert Anton Wilson,
2. Transmission, by Hari Kunzru,
3. Hells Angels, by Hunter S. Thompson,
4. This Must Be the Place: The Adventures of Talking Heads in the Twentieth Century, by David Bowman,
5. The Right Stuff, by Tom Wolfe

All of which were exceedingly good. I'm now rocking out to Waterland, by Graham Swift, and I'm eyeing a copy of Finnegans Wake that I bought at a used book store, on blog-recommendation of our very own Andalucia. I've started reading it aloud in what I hope to be a passable Irish brogue.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 03:06:21 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Finished the Human Factor by Graham Greene a few days ago, and it was really fantastic.  I think it's officially the first spy novel I've ever read,


Please allow me to recommend the works of John LeCarre.  Very much in the same vein as Graham Greene.  Try the S miley Trilogy (i.e. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; The Honourable Schoolboy; S miley's People.)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 03:45:44 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "miles"
Finished the Human Factor by Graham Greene a few days ago, and it was really fantastic.  I think it's officially the first spy novel I've ever read,


Please allow me to recommend the works of John LeCarre.  Very much in the same vein as Graham Greene.  Try the S miley Trilogy (i.e. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; The Honourable Schoolboy; S miley's People.)


When I was at a used book store a couple weeks ago, I was looking at the LeCarre section and was thinking "man, I really would appreciate a recommendation or two now," so, thanks!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 06:52:10 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"

3. Hells Angels, by Hunter S. Thompson,


Dude!
I just finished that last night!
What the hell?!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 12:59:02 pm »

Not recently read but recently reread and still one of my favorites:

The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson.


Read it, it's awesome.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Little black marks on pieces of paper intriguingly arranged.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 01:06:13 pm »

Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor.  So far, yummy.

the man knows how to write a sentence.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up