Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon  (Read 12351 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mudokon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« on: July 19, 2005, 08:14:04 am »

Man, Pat is such an asshole that he watches PBS. At least I think it's supposed to be PBS.

Seriously though, what is this? Onstad's been really patchy for a couple of weeks now.
Logged

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:40:43 pm »

I disagree.  "It's a falcon, and yes."  !  And insight into the weird cohabitation of Nice Pete and Pat is strange and funny.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 12:44:27 pm »

The concept is funny, but the script reads like a first draft. The falcon joke is moderately cute, but... enh. Think I would like this with more panels and more purpose beyond "Pat watches bad fantasy TV in which a character is named Cymulon."

(It also doesn't totally fit with Pat; he seems more like the kind of guy who would scream about the historical inaccuracies in said shows until all enjoyment was beaten out, in my opinion.)
Logged

Doctor C

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 12:57:31 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
The concept is funny, but the script reads like a first draft. The falcon joke is moderately cute, but... enh. Think I would like this with more panels and more purpose beyond "Pat watches bad fantasy TV in which a character is named Cymulon."

(It also doesn't totally fit with Pat; he seems more like the kind of guy who would scream about the historical inaccuracies in said shows until all enjoyment was beaten out, in my opinion.)

I dunno, I liked the way Pat is seen totally engrossed with what sounds like a glorified, medieval soap opera, which is exactly the sort of show you know he'd berate anyone else for watching
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 01:08:57 pm »

Quote from: "mudokon"
Man, Pat is such an asshole that he watches PBS. At least I think it's supposed to be PBS.

Hey hey hey HEY! Red Dwarf is on PBS so I'll have none of your mocking.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 02:46:20 pm »

Agreed with Cort - there's at least one hour per month of quality programming on PBS - sometimes more.

As for the strip, I could go either way - it's funny to see Pat totally engrossed in what I'd say is probably melodramatic derivative sputum, but then it's really not THAT amusing.  Pat knowing the specific species of the bird, and caring about it, despite the fact that it's clearly a ridiculous thing to do, is pretty good also.  But overall, it's just kind of meh.  I feel like maybe there's a good idea in there somewhere, but it would take a little more dialogue to get it out.

Meh!
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 03:00:43 pm »

WHOOOOOOOSH

Way to miss the point there fellas

Mudokon was saying that the ostensible punchline, "PBS programming is for assholes like Pat", was not a very good one.

I think this strip was more about the little bits of business peripheral to the, er, joke. "...you still don't watch Trials of Honour".
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 06:37:30 pm »

Fuck.
Just look at that last panel man.
That's real nice.
Logged

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 08:02:41 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
WHOOOOOOOSH

I think this strip was more about the little bits of business peripheral to the, er, joke. "...you still don't watch Trials of Honour".


I concur.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 08:06:08 pm »

It also offers some insight into why Pat (even in nice-guy form) would choose to wear a cape.  He's living the dream.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

V-Adore

  • Guest
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 08:16:40 pm »

The bits are okay, I suppose. I just... eh. The bits aren't quite strong enough to make it a bit-only strip, and the actual punchline is kind of lukewarm/not-present. This really feels like a first draft to me.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 08:36:15 pm »

I don't think this is PBS. It doesn't feel like a PBS program to me.

Trials of Honour appeals to Pat because it's all about what it once meant to be a gentleman. Which is to say, being right while everyone else is wrong and/or poor.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 08:41:57 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
I don't think this is PBS. It doesn't feel like a PBS program to me.


Dude, it's pretty clearly being aired on KQED:

http://www.kqed.org

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 09:03:11 pm »

Oh. Well, then I lose for not recognizing a real PBS station. I guess I just assumed it was yet another Achewood Made-Up Thing.

..I still don't think it feels like PBS programming, but maybe West Coast PBS is different from East Coast PBS.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
July 19, 2005 - Cymulon
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 09:28:09 pm »

Nice one. Alistair Cooke is even hosting.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up