Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: An exploratory one with a little difference...  (Read 22189 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« on: August 24, 2003, 12:18:41 am »

OK, seeing as how the 'what are your favourite' topics are too difficult to decide on (for me at least), I wanna try a different approach. I'm wondering if it will change the outcome much, and whether it will introduce me to some more stuff that I don't know of already but is worth having for my DJing:
So...

What did you listen to today?

Me:
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Tim Buckley - Dream Letter Live in London 1968
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
Masters of Reality - How High the Moon
Sublime - Sublime
Queens of the Stone Age - similairly eponymous
Giovanni Battista Purgolesi - Stabat Matar

It was quite an eclectic day!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 12:23:06 am »

Foo Fighters - "There is Nothing Left to Lose" and "One by One"
The Cult - "Love"

This is unusual for me, but I spent a lot of time at the gym today, so I was listening to whatever insipid drivel they play on this station that considers itself edgy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 12:37:15 am »

Um, well, this hasn't been a typical day, but so far:

Cake - Fashion Nugget
They Might Be Giants - Then: The Earlier Years (disk 1)
Luna - Bewitched
and some mp3's from Swell, Brassy, and Mojave 3 (can't remember which tracks right now)

Edit:  Because I can.  The rest of the day included

Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
White Stripes - White Blood Cells
China Crisis - China Crisis Collection
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

V-Adore

  • Guest
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 01:47:19 am »

I've spent most of today listening to R.E.M.'s "Life's Rich Pageant." Honorable mention goes to my MP3 of "Dance Commander" by the Electric Six, which has also seen heavy duty today.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 04:27:56 am »

I picked up an MP3-CD player today and burned a bunch of songs to listen to on it. 168 songs on a single disc! ROCK!

The playlist included selections from the following artists:
50 Cent
Eminem
Norah Jones
Phantom Planet
The Donnas
Little River Band
Pearl Jam
System of a Down
Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow
Napy Roots
The White Stripes
...and many more.

All for only three payments of $29.99 - direct from K-Tel!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 04:35:39 am »

John Glenn's Autobiography and a little bit of "A Prarie Home Companion".  About two minutes worth of "This American Life".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 02:20:57 pm »

Excellent. I'll have to take a look at the people I don't know.
Those that I know that I give kudos for: Cake & TMBG, System...
And Prairie Home Companion - haven't listened to that in yeaaaaaaars!

I'm having to live without my mp3cd player for a while now, it was my car stereo, and my car just died, so I have to wait til I get a new one to put it in. I think I have a portable one but it sucks so bad!

Well, I'm off to check up on those bands that I don't knwo about that you've all posted so far.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 03:18:31 pm »

Oh, I forgot about the NPR I listened to yesterday: The last of "Car Talk" (staff plastic surgeon: Faye Swift.) and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" - a current events game show that rocks.

Slink: Also look up The Postal Service - fantastic caleco-rock sound.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

V-Adore

  • Guest
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 09:08:48 pm »

Today's listenings, thus far, consists of an hour of the local "variety"/pop-and-light-rock station, including several guilty-pleasure songs. ("Oh, geez, 'Two Princes' is on? again? ... doo doo, princes who adore you, doo dee doo...") Now that I'm back in vicinity of a CD player, I'm putting on New Adventures in Hi-Fi, which is somewhere neck and neck with Life's Rich Pageant in my mental Best R.E.M. Album Ever contest.

More news later.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 02:37:04 am »

Asherdan, you have some eclectic tastes. Today I got to listen to G'n'R and Pink Floyd, courtesy of some folks who live in my apartment complex. Not in my building, you understand - in a building some distance away. I liked it better a couple of weeks ago, when they were playing the Gap Band. At the gym, they were playing the classic rock station - I ask you, can anyone work out to the Allman Brothers?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 03:51:27 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Today I got to listen to G'n'R and Pink Floyd, courtesy of some folks who live in my apartment complex. Not in my building, you understand - in a building some distance away. I liked it better a couple of weeks ago, when they were playing the Gap Band.

There's nothing worse than really bad second-hand music. Last year I lived next to a young woman who was far, far overinfatuated with R. Kelly's "Ignition," to the point that a song that would have merely been quite awful normally had become totally intolerable within two months. Gah.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 06:48:06 am »

I just don't get how people's music can be *so loud* that it can be heard from a great distance away; sheesh.  do they leave all their windows open and turn it up to the loudest decibal?  hmm.  over here, at least people are decent in that respect; the worst I hear is on the weekend maybe a car with too much bass will drive by from the main road.

---

Today I listened to some old music/some new music:

Anna Oxygen - All Your Faded Things
The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
Hood - Cold House
The Notwist - Neon Golden
Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
Sad Like Crazy - love songs to death

and a few mix cds I found in my collection that people gave me or I made myself long ago: one contains songs by The Sugarcubes, The Anniversary, The Smiths and Tram (I just listened to those on repeat), the other has some Weezer, Bjork, etcetc. and my *absolute perfect* mix I made a copy of after making it for a friend; it contains Saint Etienne, The Sea and Cake, Hood, Low, Knife in the Water, Red House Painters, etcetc.  it's also really frikkin' sad.  I'm glad before I began to get teary eyed, a show I had been waiting on started, so I turned it off.

Now I'm about to stick in a synthpop mix another friend gave me awhile back.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 07:13:19 am »

I hardly ever listen to albums anymore.  Most of my CDs are in boxes, and I play tracks in MP3 on my PC.

Today's Playlist, courtesy of BlogAmp:

Hives - Veni Vedi Vicious - 01 - Declare Guerre Nucleaire.mp3
Morrissey - The First Of The Gang To Die (Live on Kilborn).mp3
Hall & Oates - Did It In A Minute.mp3
Hotei Tomoyasu - Shin Jingi-naki Tatakai
Butthole Surfers - Electriclarryland - 02 - Cough Syrup.mp3
Joe Jackson - Night And Day - 05 - Steppin' Out.mp3
American Wedding Soundtrack - 07 - Matt Nathanson - Laid.mp3
Christopher O'Riley - True Love Waits - 01 - Everything In It's Right Place.mp3
Charles Trenet - Boum!.mp3
Christopher O'Riley - True Love Waits - 09 - Exit Music (For A Film).mp3
Rufus Wainwright - Dinner At Eight (Live on Letterman).mp3
R.E.M. - Dark Globe (Syd Barrett Cover).mp3
Reel Big giraffe - Hungry Like the Wolf.mp3
Barenaked Ladies - When Doves Cry (Prince Cover).mp3
April March - Chick Habit.mp3
Huey Lewis & The News - Hip To Be Square.mp3
Juice Newton - Angel Of The Morning.mp3
mcfrontalot_gonnabeyourman.mp3
Cyndi Lauper - She Bop.mp3
Dean Martin - S'oter Celo de Roma (On An Evening In Roma).mp3
Radiohead [live] - Later with Jools Holland, London, England [09.06.2001] - 07 - Life In A Glass House.mp3
Wyclef Jean - Redemption Song (WTC Tribute).mp3
Thom Yorke - Bridge School 26 Oct 2002 - 06 - There There.mp3
John Lennon - Collection - 16 - Watching The Wheels.mp3
Air Supply - All Out Of Love.mp3
Insect Surfers - Bengazi.mp3
Sundays - Here's Where The Story Ends.mp3
Elvis Costello - Best Of - 18 - Shipbuilding.mp3
Pixies - Where Is My Mind.mp3
Nil Lara - Fighting For My Love.mp3
Rocky Horror Picture Show - Science Fiction Double Feature.mp3
Travis Tritt - Take It Easy.mp3
Misfits - Last Caress.mp3
Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation (Ocean's 11 Version).mp3
Blur - End of the Century.mp3
M. Doughty - KCRW - 01- Janine.mp3
Thicke - When I Get You Alone.mp3
Donovan - Epistle To Dippy.mp3
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A. - 09 - I'm Goin' Down.mp3

Please keep in mind that this is culled mostly from my "Favourites" directory as I had only my laptop with few songs on it today.

-- Jough

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 01:42:59 pm »

Where did you get that BNL track?

Also, I've never heard M. Doughty's solo stuff. What's it like?
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2003, 04:15:33 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I hardly ever listen to albums anymore.  Most of my CDs are in boxes, and I play tracks in MP3 on my PC.


Yea I do the same. Partly because I have to have them all as mp3's to mix with, but mostly because my PC is the only thing hooked up to my amp!

Quote from: "Asherdan"
What a weird mix. I've been painting all day, maybe it's the vapors.


I do the same, every time I paint I listen to a whole collection of weird things! Last time I think it was PJ Harvey, the Hitchhikers Guide radio series, Cake and erm, TMBG - Flood and eponymous & Prodigy - Jilted.

Quote from: "choopernickel"
Slink: Also look up The Postal Service - fantastic caleco-rock sound.


Will do. I know the name, but haven't heard them yet. I'll go do that now!

Quote from: "starlight"
I just don't get how people's music can be *so loud* that it can be heard from a great distance away. The worst I hear is on the weekend maybe a car with too much bass will drive by from the main road.


I can be so guilty of that. I mean, when I drive I like to listen to music really loud. I try not to annoy people, and I don't think I do, but I am just such an audiophile that I hate hearing the car over the music. Fortunately I live in the country, so when at home I can listen to music as loud as I like, also a benefit for jamming with my 100watt marshall. Particularly when mixing it has to be very loud.
I'm terrible I really am!!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up