Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: An exploratory one with a little difference...  (Read 22228 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2003, 06:37:50 am »

You know, I listen to music fairly loud in my car too, but I've noticed that it's really not that loud outside it. I mean, the bass is pretty clear, but to get to the really annoying levels, it has to be so loud as to be extremely distorted inside the vehicle. I postulate that the people who listen to music that loud really can't enjoy it. These people who rock out in my complex - they can't possibly be listening to this music inside the apartment.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2003, 10:24:52 am »

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin' - it has to be seriously loud to hear it from a distance ...if I turn my music up in this room to the point where it makes my head hurt then go in another room, it is barely heard.  I'd have to turn it up to almost head exploding levels (which is I guess as loud as it can possibly go) for it to even be heard at normal level in another room (perhaps this room is slightly sound proof ..hmm).

My dad used to be (not now cause I don't live with him) heard coming down the street in his car with the bass on, but see, he's partially deaf - maybe all people who listen to music that loudly have the same ailment ...and if not, they sure will get there later in life :D

---

Anyway, to keep this thread slightly on-topic, what I listened to today:
Knife in the Water - Cut the Cord
Stereolab - Miss Modular (single)
Kathryn Williams - Old Low Light

I just got those cds in the mail is why ..I just listened to 'em on repeat all day; nothing else.  not one mp3 - I think I may have listened to some mp3s on my playlist yesterday and just didn't list them since I didn't remember.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2003, 05:45:17 am »

I'll post what I listened to at work today!

Dieselboy - Project Human
Modest penis - This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink *****s (I listen to a Lips album once a week, probably)
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Babylone By Bus
The Coral - Magic Medicine
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (disc 2)
The Undertones - Teenage Kicks (it is a song and not an album)


I listened to like 2 more CD's, but I don't remember what they were.

Edit:: I fuck*ng hate that *#*#* thing.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2003, 06:31:59 am »

Today was a solid Thomas Dolby day. I have no idea why, except that it seemed right.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
that day
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2003, 07:39:10 am »

The day I first read this (Sunday?) I listened, in this order, to:

Red Ellis’s afternoon gospel program.
Flaming Lips “She Don’t Use Jelly” single
Kraftwerk Tour de France Soundtracks
Can Sacrilege disc one
The Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Moby Ambient
Can Future Days
Drive-by Truckers Decoration Day

This was from about 3pm to 11pm. I meant to listen to the two Can albums consecutively, but I couldn’t find Future Days for a while.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2003, 08:06:13 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Air Supply - All Out Of Love.mp3

-- Jough

Just noticed this and I would like to point out that this girl that my ex and I were great friends with in college is now married to the shorter, dark-haired guy from this band. I think his name is Russell.

Also, today I listened to Trail of Dead, the new Jane's Addiction, Foo Fighters, and John Lee Hooker.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2003, 03:44:00 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Also, today I listened to Trail of Dead, the new Jane's Addiction, Foo Fighters, and John Lee Hooker.


Yea, I'm still trying to decide what I feel about the new Jane's album. I am now pretty sure I like it, but in what way!?
I think it's because it really is like what they'd be like if they hadn't split but continued being good, so it kinda means evolving quickly with them. It is a rather unique album and all.
But still, I probably just need to listen to it more!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2003, 05:17:46 pm »

I think it's pretty good. I like all their other stuff better, but that's to be expected seeing as how they haven't been together for so long. I can't imagine what they would have done had they stayed together. Still, I think the reviews were pretty severe - it's like everyone expected "Nothing's Shocking II" or something. There are some low points on it, but on the whole it bodes pretty well for the future if this isn't a one-time thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2003, 04:00:01 am »

Today I listened to Royal Trux's untitled 3rd album and the one after it , Cats and Dogs. It was all especially great because I got a badly needed new muffler and could listen to music in the car properly for the first time in weeks.

 I also thought about The Hafler Trio for a little bit, but I'm not sure if that counts, either as music or as listening to it.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2003, 09:27:48 am »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Today I listened to Royal Trux's untitled 3rd album and the one after it , Cats and Dogs. It was all especially great because I got a badly needed new muffler and could listen to music in the car properly for the first time in weeks.


I just had to drive home without music. I mean I didn't, but with a dead Carb I was trying to get it back so I can sell bits of it while I get a new one, and I thought my garage would have taken the stereo out, so I didn't take the fascia. In the end I had to do it myself just now. Lazy bastards!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2003, 05:59:12 pm »

Ramones today, for me. And Weezer's green album. Is it just me, or is that their worst album?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2003, 06:33:37 pm »

-----Story Time-----
Two months ago, I walked out the front door to get into my car and discovered that someone had attempted to steal my car stereo. This individual was apparently neither technologically nor mentally equipped to do so, and instead only succeeded in tearing the console out of my dash. There was a bike in the yard and my CD case was missing. The theory goes that some punk-ass kid tried to boost my stereo, got spooked when my neighbor came outside at 4 AM to go to work, and ran off with my CD case. This CD case contained just about every CD I own -- including my Zeppelin 4-disk boxed set. Stupid, stupid, stupid. (We had recently taken a long car trip so I had a lot of music for the road, and never bothered to take it inside.) Spouse had converted much of our collection to mp3, but since he's not really a Zep fan he'd never bothered with the boxed set. So I burned a couple of mix disks to keep in my car and resolved to buy a new set sometime...before I die.

Two weeks ago, a mysterious box came via UPS. Spouse ran to the door, signed for the package, raced to his home office, and slammed the door. So I figured, "Must be porn" and let it go. He came out a minute later with a sheepish grin and a label-less box.

"I didn't want you to know where it came from before you opened it."

Wielding my trusty razor blade, I sliced into the cardboard eagerly, lifted the crumpled newspaper, and -- lo and behold -- uncovered a familiar looking image of crop circles. Tears filled my eyes -- I literally wept with joy -- I was overwhelmed. Spouse had spent more than a month bidding for used copies on EBay to replace my stolen set. In addition, he'd purchased the two-disk follow-up set (which will arrive in the mail this week sometime.) And -- here's the kicker -- when I opened the lid to reveal the precious silver discs -- the box smelled like weed. It was so...perfect.

And that's what I'm listening to this week.




[apologies jl - I hit the wrong button
 - the bonehead]
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2003, 07:23:47 pm »

EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2003, 08:36:10 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Spouse had spent more than a month bidding for used copies on EBay to replace my stolen set. In addition, he'd purchased the two-disk follow-up set (which will arrive in the mail this week sometime.) And -- here's the kicker -- when I opened the lid to reveal the precious silver discs -- the box smelled like weed. It was so...perfect.

And that's what I'm listening to this week.


(what I was trying to say originally)
He's a keeper!
Enjoyed the tale. Good stuff (not the beginning - though good in terms of... oh you know what I mean). Sounds like a boxed set I could do with at some point, specially if it comes with free weed!!!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2003, 01:09:13 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Today I got to listen to G'n'R and Pink Floyd, courtesy of some folks who live in my apartment complex. Not in my building, you understand - in a building some distance away. I liked it better a couple of weeks ago, when they were playing the Gap Band.

There's nothing worse than really bad second-hand music. Last year I lived next to a young woman who was far, far overinfatuated with R. Kelly's "Ignition," to the point that a song that would have merely been quite awful normally had become totally intolerable within two months. Gah.


In my first apartment I lived on the top floor of a house above a very glamourous transvestite named George/Georgina and her partner.  This at first seemed very exciting - who else can say they lived above Diana Ross?  Then it all began. They partied all night listening to CCR over and over so loud that you could see things shaking on my shelves while Georegina's partner drunkenly threatened to stab her and their friends laughed.  I loved my apartment and it was very close to my University, but they partied at least 4 times a week, usually til about 9am with that same disk on constant repeat.  I eventually had to move away.

I can't listen to do, do, do, "Lookin' out my back door" without being filled with rage.

As for what I listened to today, our stereo is broken.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up