Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: An exploratory one with a little difference...  (Read 22213 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2003, 02:43:43 am »

I can't picture a transvestite listening to CCR. Thinking about that is making my head hurt.

I used to live across the hall from this Indian (Asian type) gay guy who I think must have had a boyfriend who worked second shift. At about 1 or 2 am Barbara Streisand at full blast would come to drown out  were noises that would have been (marginally) harder to deal with. Moaning or grunting or God knows what...

I used to go hit his door with a hammer it was so loud and he still didn't hear it or was too busy to answer the door.

Feh. I had almost forgotten about that.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2003, 05:11:25 am »

Transvestites listening to CCR doesn't compute.

I've been listening to a lot of different stuff lately.  A friend at work asked to borrow some Stones (I'm the resident music guru) so I dug that shit out.  I was on a Stones binge for about two days when he returned them this week.  Another guy requested Frank Zappa so same thing there (Titties and Beer).  Other stuff seen in my changer recently, The Roots, Radiohead, Todd Rundgren, Tangerine Dream, Stevie Wonder, High Fidelity Soundtrack, The Kinks BBC recordings, B. B. King live at the Royal Theater (awesome), Dixie Chicks, Weird Al...  At this very moment:  True Love Waits, Christopher O'Riley plays Radiohead.  Radiohead songs arranged for classical piano.  Pretty killer actually.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2003, 05:50:38 am »

Auggh - for some reason I despise CCR. Just can't stand them, probably because all "classic" stations overplay the shit out of 'em. Anyway, today I listened to Weezer "Pinkerton" (damn weak-willed brain), this Roman Candles CD that I talked about in the other thread, Foo Fighters, Misfits, NoFX, and also Everclear - the last live. They played the state fair here, because Art Alexakis' wife is from here. They implied that they might be breaking up or something. Also, the last song was a cover of Cheap Trick's "Surrender" - sort of as a joke because Cheap Trick was supposed to play a week ago and thought that they could do a gig deep in the heart of Canada, then drive here to AK to play the next night, and then drive to a date the night after that. Good Christ, buy an atlas. Anyway, the sound was kind of weak but it wasn't a terrible show.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2003, 08:09:20 pm »

Recent spins:

Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won
Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls
Night Spirit Masters: Gnawa Trance Music of Marrakesh
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Prince - The Hits 2
The Essential Sly and the Family Stone
MOJO Music Guide Vol. 1: Instant Garage

a sampler from Rhino's Nuggets II
The Byrds box set

individual tunes:
Frank Zappa: "No Not Now"
Eric Johnson: "Zenland"
The Yardbirds: "Jeff's Boogie"
Juliana Hatfield Three: "Spin the Bottle"
Led Zeppelin: "Swansong"
Strong Bad: theme from Trogdor
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2003, 09:25:12 pm »

My CD's/stereo etc weren't really available because of my move, but I got an unexpected day off today because somebody cut a power line over by work.

Fidel - Fidel
Fidel - Cartoon Life
Colouring Lesson - Menagerie
Kelly Bell Band - Ain't Like It Used to Be
Mary Prankster - Roulette Girl
Soul Coughing - El Oso
The Argument - Your New Favorite Band
TMBG - Dial-A-Song
Fatboy Slim - On the Floor at the Boutique
Cowboy Bebop - OST 1
Elastica - Elastica
FenixTX - FenixTX
Mudcat Jones - What's So Funny
Transplants - Transplants
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2003, 01:22:00 am »

I was resisting the magnetic pull of this thread on my geeky self, but I can hold out no longer...

Albums of This Week
    Mixswap CD with Water/Liquids theme from Cory in Michigan
    Sonic Youth, Confusion is Sex
    The Smiths, Singles
    Neutral Milk Hotel, both albums
    Sigur Ros, ( )
    Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot


and, mp3-wise:  Pinback (thanks satchel!), Folk Implosion, American Analogue Set,  and Belle & Sebastien.

Shazam.

[Edit:  I forgot Big Star.  How did I forget Big Star?  Beats me, but they should be in there somewhere, maybe even twice.]
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2003, 02:21:37 am »

MILES DAVIS

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2003, 04:36:17 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"

    Mixswap CD with Water/Liquids theme from Cory in Michigan
    Sonic Youth, Confusion is Sex
    The Smiths, Singles
    Neutral Milk Hotel, both albums
    Sigur Ros, ( )
    Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot


and, mp3-wise:  Pinback (thanks satchel!), Folk Implosion, American Analogue Set,  and Belle & Sebastien.


I've only heard of about half of those.  The Smiths of course is an old favourite.  I actually brought a photo of Morrissey with me the last time I had my hair done (I have a shortish pomp now, much like Moz does in this picture (except I have a better hairline).

And of course Sonic Youth goes back to my youth.  I have that Wilco album but it has never spoken to me.

And what Belle & Sebastian songs?  If You're Feeling Sinister? Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying?  The Boy with the Arab Strap?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2003, 08:27:57 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
MILES DAVIS


Niiiiiice!
Can't go wrong there. I always tend to go from Miles Davis, through some Thelonius Monk, through Tom Waits, and onto Herbie Hancock. Maybe with a little Modern Jazz Quartet thrown in. Then if I feel like taking it on, I'll go to Cinematic Orchestra and maybe some Gotan Project.

Quote from: "andalucia"
I was resisting the magnetic pull of this thread on my geeky self, but I can hold out no longer...


Goood! This is all just me trying to find as much new music as I can, so the more people who drop in, and the more often people keep posting a little what they've listened to list the happier I become!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2003, 10:12:45 am »

Okay, I listened to mp3's earlier today, but hell if I can remember everything except that a couple of the achewood songs from songfight were in there and I think Carissa's Wierd - You Should Be At Home Here, The Dismemberment Plan - Following Through, Timeout Drawer (forgot the name of the song, but I only have one), etcetc (background noise soon after that).

THEN, I got my big haul of cds I ordered last week - I've listened to almost all of them, but I'm seriously doubting I can stay up much longer.  one should not buy 8 cds at once (listed in the order I listened to them):
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On a Gravel Road
Guided By Voices - Earthquake Glue
Trembling Blue Stars - A Certain Evening Light
The American Analog Set - The Fun of Watching Fireworks
Fog - Ether Teeth
Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet
Fog - s/t

I have one left, but I doubt I'll get to it tonight: Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating as One

...I'm sort've a music geek as well ya could say if that wasn't already evident :)
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2003, 10:48:37 am »

Quote from: "starlight"

one should not buy 8 cds at once

I have one left, but I doubt I'll get to it tonight: Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating as One


8 cds at once is never enough! I like to get about 20 and be able to sit down, check them all out through a day and then maybe do a mix with the new stuff in, see how it fits with all the stuff I already had.

I keep meaning to check out Yo La Tengo. Amazon was recommending it to me for something I bought from them. I think it was from searching through all the Desert stuff like Desert Sessions and Mark Lanegan et al.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2003, 07:24:39 pm »

Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagynecologist
Squarepusher - Do You Know Squarepusher? (The song)
Squarepusher - Go Plastic (the album)
Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World
Placebo - Without You I Am Nothing
Mercury Rev - All Is Dream
Flaming Lips - Fight Test EP
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
Ween - 12 Golden Country Greats (What is up with this?  wtf it is country lolz)
death cab for cutie - transatlanticism

and for balance, a CD of miscellaneous Billie Holiday.

Most intelligent folks have a streak of music geek
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2003, 10:39:22 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
MILES DAVIS

~Paul



But which ones?

Kind of Blue?  Sketches of Spain?  On the Corner?  Pangaea?  

Details, man, we need details!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2003, 04:23:13 am »

Ha ha -
White Stripes, Misfits, New Pornographers, Hot Hot Heat, Roman Candles (again), John Lee Hooker.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2003, 04:24:51 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "starlight"

one should not buy 8 cds at once

I have one left, but I doubt I'll get to it tonight: Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating as One


8 cds at once is never enough! I like to get about 20 and be able to sit down, check them all out through a day and then maybe do a mix with the new stuff in, see how it fits with all the stuff I already had.

I keep meaning to check out Yo La Tengo. Amazon was recommending it to me for something I bought from them. I think it was from searching through all the Desert stuff like Desert Sessions and Mark Lanegan et al.


Well, in an idealistic world, perhaps I would buy 20 at once (I certainly have a long enough wishlist ..heh).  I also like to make mixes after I buy new music, but mostly to share with others than for myself (I only make mixes for myself out of mp3s I don't want to buy the album for and those I cannot buy at all -live, demo, only on vinyl, etc) - sadly, not since like four buying sprees ago, has someone asked for one.

YLT is nice.  not a must have sort've group since sadly I don't particularly like to sing along to it which is how I judge things (excluding instrumentals), but the two albums I have are pleasant as reading music.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up