Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: An exploratory one with a little difference...  (Read 22225 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2003, 04:34:23 am »

Quote
pmcd9 wrote:
MILES DAVIS

~Paul

But which ones?

Kind of Blue? Sketches of Spain? On the Corner? Pangaea?


Bitches Brew for one.  At Newport 1958 for another.  And The Essential Miles Davis.  All purchased this past Wednesday.  The last one is a career retrospective that covers 41 years or music.

These were all purchased based on the awesomeness of Kind of Blue which I discovered last year and finally decided I had to hear more.

A few comments.  Bitches Brew is off the chain.  It's hard to comprehend it's so frentic and compelling I predict i'll be listening to this the rest of my life.  Newport 1958 is on fire.  It's the same group that recorded Kind of Blue and they ain't holding back nothing here.  The retrospective prooves that Miles was killer from day one until the day he died.  Oh yeah, Coltraine is  massive as well.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2003, 04:41:58 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I have that Wilco album but it has never spoken to me.


Give it another try.  That one took a while to sink in.  It kind of snuck up on me and sucker punched me.  Maybe it was just the mood I was in at the time.  It's pretty dark actually.  After I got into it, it spent about two months in heavy rotation sharing time in my changer with Sea Change and Bryter Layter.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2003, 06:31:08 am »

I like dark.  Heck, it's about all I ever listen to.  Well, dark or *sad*, like the Smiths and early Blur we had kicking tonight.

But the Wilco album (a gift) just sounded like generock to me - just generic pop-rock music like Hootie and the Blowjobs.

Okay, that's overstating it.  I guess I'll have to give it a second spin, before I sell it to SecondSpin.com.

-- Jough.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2003, 11:00:35 am »

Really, what made me like that Wilco album was hearing the song Reservations first before I bought the thing.  the rest took awhile to like; maybe I wouldn't have bought it right off if not for that song :D

Last time I realllly listened to it was more than a year ago though; when my relatives left, I put it in the discman and cried in a corner; damn, that sounds rather emo.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2003, 11:22:36 pm »

Just for fun, today's listening (so far):

Insatiable - Can't Get Enough
Various - Best of Ska
Various - Original Club Ska  (these two are first-wave ska compilations)
The Brand New Heavies - Heavy Rhyme Experience, vol. 1
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Q-Burns Abstract Message - Invisible Airline
The Future Sound of London - Accelerator
808 State – Gorgeous
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2003, 02:38:09 pm »

today's listening (I couldn't pay enough attention to song titles and such due to working on a fuck*ng saturday) included live tracks and cd cuts from such bands as:

radiohead
weezer
miles davis
moby
tenacious d
jill scott
the doors
ween
aphex twin
the postal service
norah jones
tom petty (some with the heartbreakers)
eminem
the apples in stereo

orbital
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

mwn8989

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lacrosseforums.com
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2003, 06:51:58 pm »

PJ Harvey-We float
The Streets- Geezers Need Exictement
Weezer- El Scorcho
Queens of the Stoneage- Avon/Do it again
Jimi Hendrix- Voodo child
Tool- The Grudge
NERD- Truth or dare
2 Skinnee J's- (718)
311- Jupiter

Those are the songs ive listened to in the last hour, i got the entire library on shuffle... god bless computers
Logged
Tube soxx rokk

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2003, 07:02:03 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"

radiohead
weezer
miles davis
moby
tenacious d
jill scott
the doors
ween
aphex twin
the postal service
norah jones
tom petty (some with the heartbreakers)
eminem
the apples in stereo


That has to be the most eclectic playlist ever.  How is it that this does not cause you to implode?
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2003, 07:02:17 pm »

Quote from: "mwn8989"
PJ Harvey-We float
Queens of the Stoneage- Avon/Do it again


Nice to finally see someone here listening to PJ Harvey and QOTSA. You oughta, if you aren't already, look out for her guesting on the upcoming Desert Sessions (9&10).

sjlimmer - you have had me listening to my copy of - and this is a ska explosion - the classic, recorded in a shed in kingstown ska compilation. Good stuff!

And thanks to Choop I need to dig out my Orbital albums since losing the mp3s thanks to the great hard drive crash of 2003. (not as bad as the great crash of 2002 was mind!)
They are one of the very few electronic bands I listen to.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2003, 08:00:07 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
That has to be the most eclectic playlist ever.  How is it that this does not cause you to implode?


When I'm feeling a bit implosive due to eclecticism, I tend to reach for the other playlist, which includes selections by

50 cent
india.arie
Huey Lewis and the News
White Zombie
Sugar Ray (gah! I know but it was a fun sound one summer)
Conway Twitty
The Dust Brothers
Edie Brickell
Led Zeppellin
Dave Brubeck
Pavarotti and Carrera (up yours, Placido!)
The Crystal Method
Madonna
Lyle Lovett
Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five
Alabama
The Little River Band
Go-gos
P.I.L.
Jay-Z
Meshell N'Dege-Ocello (sp?)
Brooke Benton
Kid Rock

- it kind of takes the edge off.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2003, 01:03:30 am »

dr. octagon
magnetic fields
clearlake
fountains of wayne
tricky
squarepusher
death cab for cutie
flying saucer attack
interpol
mercury rev
placebo
neil young
thievery corporation
µ-Ziq
flaming lips
deep purple

that's what I got when I set my winamp on random; I wrote down the first 16 artists is cycled through
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2003, 04:01:42 am »

Quote from: "beverly"
magnetic fields


I was just introduced to their "69 Love Songs" last week and have been listening to them pretty much non-stop all week.

Actually, I've mostly been singing two of the songs: "I Think I Need a New Heart" and "The Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side."

Stephin Merritt is like Morrissey meets Leonard Cohen.   Good stuff.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2003, 06:31:05 pm »

Well, today, what with my being up scarily early, and then dealing with job applications and the like was a little eclectic to say the least!

HitchHiker's Guide radio series (Fit the Tenth through Twelfth)
Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressable
Mystery of the Yeti - Under Mount Kailash and The Herb Garden
Jane's Addiction - Strays
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Gotan Project - La Ravancho Del Tango
Bob Schneider - Lonelyland
Bad Religion - The Process of Belief
Three Dead Trolls - a little bit of variousness
Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been / Still / Further Down the Spiral (needed a migraine cure)

I'll probably move onto either System of a Down or Tweaker next.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2003, 07:27:46 pm »

I've been listening to a big ol' randomized Winamp playlist for the last few days. Ten random tracks:

R.E.M., "At My Most Beautiful" (confirming me as the only person who still likes Up)
Rob Zombie, "Dragula"
add/SMU, "Video Night"
They Might Be Giants, "I Blame You"
Squeeze, "Domino"
Raised By Wolves, "120 MPH" (live)
Our Lady Peace, "Naveed"
MST3K, "Master Ninja Theme Song"
Swedish Masturbation Unit, "Stronger Than" (cover of Duboce Triangle)
Stroke 9, "Not Nothin'"
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
An exploratory one with a little difference...
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2003, 08:53:23 pm »

Today's Winamp:

Mari Wilson - Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps (Coupling Theme).mp3
Van Morrison - Everyone.mp3
Velvet Underground - Stephanie Says.mp3
Nico - These Days.mp3
Jayhawks - Blue.mp3 (which I know was a big hit like, five years ago, but I've just discovered it and like it muchly)
Radiohead [live] - Later with Jools Holland, London, England [09.06.2001] - 07 - Life In A Glass House.mp3
Sundays - Here's Where The Story Ends.mp3
Thorns - Blue.mp3
Weezer - My Name Is Jonas.mp3
Weezer - Blue Album - Holiday.mp3
Weezer - Undone (The Sweater Song).mp3
Georges Brassens - Quand On Est Con, On Est Con.mp3
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs Vol. 1 - 08 - The Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side.mp3
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs Vol. 1 - 11 - I Think I Need a New Heart.mp3
Sixpence None the Richer - Divine Discontent - 04 - Don't Dream It's Over.mp3
Dead Kennedys - Pull My Strings.mp3
Chopin - Nocturne 13a.mp3
Smiths - Still Ill [Peel Sessions].mp3
John Coltrane - My Favourite Things.mp3
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die (Full Album).mp3
Dead Milkmen - Now We Are 10 - Jerry Lewis.mp3
Crystal Method - Get Busy.mp3
Cake - Never There.mp3
Pixies - Motorway to Roswell.mp3
Janes Addiction - Whores (Live).mp3
Ministry - TV Song (with Gibby).mp3
Blur - You're So Great.mp3
Misfits - Skulls.mp3
Mission to Nowhere - Ejactulator.mp3
Elastica - Car Song.mp3
Joe Satriani - Always with Me, Always with You.mp3
Slayer - War Ensemble.mp3

And that's just this afternoon.  I do need to bring more CDs out of storage so I can rip them, though.

Thank you all for suggesting new music.  I have a long list of things to "try out" now.

-- Jough, who's still trying to decide who has good taste and who doesn't so he knows which recs to trust...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up