Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 67   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby updates - ongoing  (Read 205827 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #750 on: February 17, 2007, 07:13:49 am »

I have a friend whom you can make cry if you say "Goodbye, Mister Hooper" in a reasonable Big Bird impression.

We had a puppet that openly mourned the death of a shopkeeper, kids today have a puppet that openly sells toys of himself with a vibrator in them. It's a mixed bag. Yes, they're being primed to be even more materialistic at an even earlier age but, on the other hand, they're not horribly emotionally scarred by well-intentioned intellectuals trying to teach them about death with puppets.

At least you don't live in africa where they created a puppet that has AIDS.  I'd only hate to be the poor sap on the writing team that is handed the episode overview that reads "This episode: Immuno-monster dies."
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #751 on: February 17, 2007, 09:10:37 am »

Quote from: coldfrog
At least you don't live in africa where they created a puppet that has AIDS.

On the one hand?

It is good that children are being taught to treat people with stigmatized diseases as their friends and equals and to be compassionate and understanding and so on or that, at least, the television is there to put that up as a counter-argument to the bad crap they're probably hearing from their parents and teachers and such.

However. On the other hand.

This is pretty much the only way to make Africa even more depressing.

"Starvation, check. Arbitrary civil war, check. Natural resources stripped, check. Television show where a puppet with a child's voice, googly eyes and a horn for a nose is dying of a horrible disease? Kind of overkill."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #752 on: February 17, 2007, 09:35:55 am »

This is pretty much the only way to make Africa even more depressing.

"Starvation, check. Arbitrary civil war, check. Natural resources stripped, check. Television show where a puppet with a child's voice, googly eyes and a horn for a nose is dying of a horrible disease? Kind of overkill."

This is the saddest baby update ever.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #753 on: February 21, 2007, 12:37:11 am »

Current toddler status, 2/20
My idea of parenting: "Go watch the bear movie. Stop playing with that ink." [turns head, reads same news website for 38th time that morning]

No-one got this one yet, and I got angry with it not being here. We can't let these baby updates slip through the net like delicious, tasty yet elusive giraffe.

-disappears again-
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #754 on: February 24, 2007, 06:22:33 pm »

Current toddler status, 2/23
Lady and the Tramp continuity error no. 3: When Lady goes to buy the cigarettes for Tramp, she gets him a pack of Newports. This brand was not introduced to the market until 1957, two years after the release of this film.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #755 on: February 25, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

Current toddler status, 2/23
Lady and the Tramp continuity error no. 3: When Lady goes to buy the cigarettes for Tramp, she gets him a pack of Newports. This brand was not introduced to the market until 1957, two years after the release of this film.
It's been a long-ass time since I've seen a Disney film, but do they REALLY buy smokes in the film?? That's just crazy...no way would that be in a children's film...right?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #756 on: February 25, 2007, 01:31:57 am »

Oh man. This is one of the things I think would drive me crazy if I were ever a parent.

Little kids like watching the same movie over and over and over again, don't they?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #757 on: February 25, 2007, 02:24:30 am »

I pretty much have Cinderella memorized, and it's probably been 10 years since we were in that phase.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #758 on: February 25, 2007, 02:52:46 am »

My 4-year daughter loves Pixar's Cars.  She gets about 2 hours a day of TV/computer time, and she has spent it all on Cars for about 2 months running now.  Before that it was How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #759 on: February 25, 2007, 03:07:25 am »

Apparently I went through a phase as a very small child where I was obsessed with the poem "The Sugarplum Tree" and would have it read to me whenever possible. The great irony here is that my parents can still recite most of it, while I was young enough that I have entirely forgotten it and wouldn't even remember ever liking it were I not reminded at regular intervals about "that fuck*ng Sugarplum Tree."
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #760 on: February 25, 2007, 03:43:22 am »

My little brother did that with 'The little mermaid'
also 'Spiceworld' for some reason.

I have no memory of what I tormented my family with.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #761 on: February 25, 2007, 08:26:47 am »

Oh god... I think that I'm going to have to follow Ray's advice and get a day nanny and night nanny if I ever have chilluns. Jesus, I don't think I could handle that at all.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #762 on: February 25, 2007, 08:46:52 pm »

i was all about the Lady and the Tramp, my mom still talks about it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #763 on: February 26, 2007, 12:40:05 am »

I apparently have always refused to watch Disney animated movies. When they would show them in school a few other guys and I would all try to go to the bathroom during the extra bad parts (ie kissing).

The closest I came to repetative obsession was bringing Dr. Seuss books home from library day every single week for like a year. But I'd rotate.

Now I usually don't even listen to the same song twice in a week.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #764 on: February 26, 2007, 01:02:42 am »

I apparently have always refused to watch Disney animated movies. When they would show them in school a few other guys and I would all try to go to the bathroom during the extra bad parts (ie kissing).

I became this kid during fifth grade, when everyone at my school was hella obsessed with The Lion King and it got regularly shown on movie-related special occasions, and I hated Lion King all to hell. I'd be desperately scraping up excuses to be in the hallway or bathroom or anywhere that wasn't the gymnasium, where 90% of my schoolmates would be speaking verbatim the memorized dialogue of a film I despised.

(For the record: yes, I still hate that movie, and no, I can't really articulate why. I think it was just the film that made me sick of Disney's shit, and there is something about it that turns my stomach to this day.)
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 67   Go Up