Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Poll

?

Classical
- 1 (5.9%)
Classic rock
- 2 (11.8%)
Soft Rock
- 1 (5.9%)
'80's Hair
- 2 (11.8%)
Punk
- 5 (29.4%)
Metal
- 1 (5.9%)
Country
- 0 (0%)
Rap
- 1 (5.9%)
Electronic
- 4 (23.5%)
Golden Oldies
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: August 01, 2003, 04:57:07 pm


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Musical Genre?  (Read 11890 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2003, 03:43:31 am »

I listened to nothing but Oingo Boingo during the month of July, and it was awesome.  They were my constant companions.  They sang of dead men's parties while I wrote, they sang of undercover Cinderella while I ate.  They even sang of romancing little girls while I worked in the garden under neighbors' unsure glares.

God bless those Mystic Knights.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2003, 04:33:35 am »

JL, you're a girl after my own heart.  Couple things tho...

You like Mark Knopfler for his lyrics?  That's kinda like appreciating Bob Dylan for his vocals.  Maybe not quite that extreme.  But Knopfler is the best guitarist since Eric Clapton.  Possibly even better.  Hell, Chet Atkins admired him, I can't imagine much greater praise.  Giving it further thought, I guess he is a pretty good lyricist, too.

ZZTop, heh.  I was backstage at a ZZTop concert in '91.  The Black Crowes were opening for them on that tour, and I went to high school with their drummer.

My goodness yes.  Queen rocks.  Brian May is underrated as a player.  That's one band I never got to see live and I eternally regret it.

You were in preschool and there were multiple Foreigner albums out.  You're just a baby!  Hell Foreigner was like the 3d album I ever bought (on 8-track no less) in 8th grade.  I think I still have it. Sheesh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2003, 04:42:00 am »

Head Games came out the year I was born.  Oh yeah.  I'm young.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2003, 03:36:46 pm »

Vote one for synth-post/prog-rock/electro-funk.

Basically, if it has a hyphen and lacks the homonym for female genitalia (the crude one), I'm probably into it.

Also: quick suggestion: update the skin to use the <label> tag?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2003, 09:20:22 pm »

Slink: I thought Kyuss and QOTSA were "stoner-rock"?
JLD: I saw SRV up here, in AK, about 3 months before he died. Best show ever (so far).
Also, R & B should have been on that list - but not that new school bastardized stuff that they've mislabeled.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2003, 09:52:36 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Slink: I thought Kyuss and QOTSA were "stoner-rock"?


Well, lots of people say so, though Hommes and Oliveri dispute that fact lots and tend to call themselves '*****-rock'.
But they're from the same scene as all the desert rock, and Kyuss were one of the ones that pretty much founded the scene, so it's all kind of one and the same. stoner and desert are somewhat interchangable.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2003, 10:05:21 pm »

I picked up an Aerosmith tribute album, and every band on there is listed in allmusic as being stoner rock. I thought that was pretty funny. I mean, judging from my time in high school, LZ/Pink Floyd/Black Sabbath/everything recorded between 1967 and 1979 is stoner rock.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2003, 03:48:14 am »

Indie rock:  Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Neutral Milk Hotel, Elliott Smith, Neil Halstead, They Might be Giants, Beat Happening, the Velvet Underground......... ah.  You know.

Essentially, I'm a big geek.

I always find it really interesting to read about what music people who like the same kind of books/comics etc as me listen to, or what kind of literature people who listen to the same kind of music as me read.... on a sonic youth message board I used to frequent, most everyone was into beat generation writers like Kerouac and Burroughs.  I fit right in, it was swell.
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2003, 04:16:43 am »

It's strange - I so want to like TMBG and Velvet Underground, I've given them chance after chance and I own albums by both - but I just can't.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2003, 02:04:27 pm »

can I just say.... David Bowie? or not?
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2003, 04:55:40 am »

Hell, The Doors do that to anyone vaguely (in)sane!
I did the same a while back. My brother, being far far richer than me, has been collecting a bunch of albums on CD that he and I listened to when we were kids loads. I also managed to get a few together myself. But everytime I listen to them I just sit back and remember the good old carefree days.
Boss Hog, Alice in Chains, Faith no More (Angel Dust), Violent Femmes, PJ Harvey - dry, and things like Cake, They Might be Giants, Tom Waits, Soundgarden and NIN - Pretty Hate Machine that I've always listened to since anyway. I mean, basically any of the greats from the late 80's to like 92 at the latest.
Now as adults, and actually friends now we've started hanging together every few weeks and having a smoke and introducing each other to new music we find (often not quite so new mind you), and again, good feelings!
He picked me up an MP3 CD player for my car this christmas as well, so I been putting together cd's with the 700 minutes of music that I need. At the moment Sublime - Sublime has been played quite a lot.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Favorite Musical Genre?
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2003, 10:16:44 am »

Asherdan is my hero for all time for liking Greivous Bodily Harm. There will be no debate. Also, I was going to put this in a new thread, but I'll do it here as I'm saving the big-ass new subject for something I'm going to put together tomorrow when I am sober. Here 'tis: If you like any popular music recorded since 1980, I demand that you go out right now (if you have disposable income and the stores are open) and purchase The New Pornographers "Mass Romantic". I will tell you this right now, it will increase your capacity to love. It's just that simple. I listened to it on the way home tonight, and I love my girlfriend more than I did before - and I loved her a lot already. Just buy it. Now.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up