Last year at this time, I lived in Orlando and had experienced three hurricanes passing through the area in (I think) 7 weeks. We didn't get the worst of any of them, but life still sucked.
After the first (most damaging) one, power was out nearly EVERYWHERE. I had thought I had plenty of food, but I'd forgotten to consider how I would cook any of it. There weren't any working traffic signals. The gas stations that had power didn't have gas, and people were lined up in their cars waiting just in case they got more gas delivered. I was lucky in that my apartment building had an intact and relatively non-leaky roof.
Standing water was everywhere, and it was full of tree branches and bits of buildings. There was a water quality alert, so you couldn't drink water without boiling it first. It was over ninety degrees most of the day, every day. I took unheated showers to try to cool off, and my clothes would be soaked with sweat within minutes of putting them on. All of the major highways leading out of town were gridlocked for days, and people kept running out of gas and having no way to get more.
My grandmother lives on the Sound east of Pensacola, right about where Ivan hit hardest. When we visited last Christmas, it was still impossible to get plywood or roofing materials. Her house survived, because my grandfather had purchased the highest property along that stretch of coast. The house 100 yards down the road was washed off of its foundation and was still just sitting there. The road was littered with detritus from the houses in the area: dolls, videos, clothes, stuff like that (Again, this was in December).
It's about ten times worse than that in New Orleans and eastwards. I can't really imagine it. The real horror is that life there won't be approaching normal for weeks at best, and some areas won't ever recover.
There's a reason I don't live in Florida any more. I know I'm more mobile than most people can afford to be (rented property, no spouse or children), but after last summer I decided I was never going to be in a position to go through that again. It didn't sound too bad until I experienced it. I'm guessing that's why people chose to remain in New Orleans -- you seriously can not comprehend the magnitude of a hurricane's power if you haven't been in one.