Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Godzilla  (Read 17082 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Godzilla
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2005, 04:19:29 am »

Guys? See earlier note about not turning this into a political thread? If there has to be out-duking, start your own thread or take it to PM. Please.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2005, 04:38:58 am »

What V said.  There are myriad other places on the web to discuss this issue.  This is a place to talk about cartoon cats and the various attributes of cheeses, books and bodily parts.

I have great respect for all our regulars.  I would consider it a tragedy if someone left because of ill-feelings over a timely/topical discussion.

Talk about these issues all you want.  I am.  I'm just not doing it here.  Please.  This place is a refuge.  It's the underground.  It's about drum machines, Alex Trebek and ***** butts.  I need the silly that Achewood and this board provide as a relief from the all too real facts that surround me daily.  Don't drag me back to the ugly mundane with your fights!

Please. Please. Please.  This is my haven.  This is where I come to escape politics, religion and daily harmonics to correspond with my fellow slaves who've partaken of the achewater.  Don't take that away from me.  Resolve your current events debates elsewhere!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2005, 04:52:56 am »

I agree with August and V.

Several of the posts above made me very, very pissed off.

I wrote a long and scathing response full of swears.

I read what I wrote.

I erased it all.

This isn't the place for this, people.  Take a step back, realize that the diversity of view points shared on TOUAMB are what make it a good thing, and that no matter what you say to one another, that you will not change the other person's political stance, and will only escalate things to a place you don't want to go to.  We have reached an impass.  Let it go.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2005, 05:32:47 am »

This site seems like the place to be if you want to talk about the Hurricane.  I'll limit my own comments to my personal experiences dealing with the Katrina aftermath.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Godzilla
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2005, 05:42:48 am »

They say comedy just equals tragedy plus time.  So how much time before Katrina jokes are game?  A month maybe?  I've got a couple good ones.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Godzilla
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2005, 07:36:03 pm »

Jough, the comedy is already here.

Now, regardless of how you feel politically about this (I happen to agree, but only somewhat), or how you feel about the man's music (I think it is rad), you have to admit this shit is hilarious:

http://www.hiphopmusic.com/archives/001133.html

If you can, watch the clip.  I can't believe this was on television.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2005, 02:37:05 am »

http://yahooracists.ytmnd.com/

That's pretty funny, but also pretty sad.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2005, 04:01:32 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
http://yahooracists.ytmnd.com/

That's pretty funny, but also pretty sad.


Actually, that's kind of stupid.  Yahoo News didn't write either photo caption.  They reprinted captions from the new organizations that created them.  So, other photos from those organizations may have been consistently captioned (i.e. referred to a white person as looting).

Of course, I question the use of the word "looting" at all when it refers to taking food/water/life necessities during a disaster of these proportions.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2005, 05:01:15 am »

Quote
Actually, that's kind of stupid. Yahoo News didn't write either photo caption. They reprinted captions from the new organizations that created them. So, other photos from those organizations may have been consistently captioned (i.e. referred to a white person as looting).


aaahhhh, you're no fun.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Godzilla
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2005, 02:02:27 am »

Well, I think the problem wasn't that they used the word "looting" but that they weren't consistent.

Black guy with a loaf of bread: obviously he must've stolen it.  "Looting"

White kids with soda and potato chips: obviously they must've just "found" the stuff.

The whole concept of ownership goes out the window in a catastrophe - you gotta get what you need for you and your family to survive.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2005, 02:26:41 am »

Now if they were carrying TVs and Bose radios then that would be looting.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2005, 03:16:14 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Well, I think the problem wasn't that they used the word "looting" but that they weren't consistent.

Black guy with a loaf of bread: obviously he must've stolen it.  "Looting"

White kids with soda and potato chips: obviously they must've just "found" the stuff.

The whole concept of ownership goes out the window in a catastrophe - you gotta get what you need for you and your family to survive.


But the point is that two different news organizations wrote the captions in question.  The AP, as I recall, wrote the "looting" caption and some other newspaper (AEP?) wrote the "found" caption.  Yahoo just posted both newstreams.  Yahoo was therefore not being inconsistent.  This is like being mad at Fark for posting a link to a stupid story.  Blame the creator, not the messenger.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Godzilla
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2005, 06:38:45 am »

Both stories were from the AP - Yahoo just got the second one from the Canadian feed rather than the U.S. feed.

Here's the original source of that image:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/firewall/38725768/

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2005, 06:58:13 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Both stories were from the AP - Yahoo just got the second one from the Canadian feed rather than the U.S. feed.

Here's the original source of that image:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/firewall/38725768/


Thanks. I wouldn't have shown it through YTMND if I knew it was somewhere else.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2005, 04:28:53 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up