Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Turkey Day!  (Read 9580 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« on: October 09, 2005, 07:41:35 pm »

Yay!  Turkey and stuffing and sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie!  Yay!  Yaaaaaay!

It is a seriously beautiful day here - the golden leaves are falling from the trees and make that wonderful crunching noise, and we're off for a drive in the country to spend time with the SO's folks!

The holiday season begins................................. ..............now!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:11:30 pm »

Hi Smells,

You make be erudite and artistic, but man, you sure don't know your calendar.

Thanksgiving is at the end of NOVEMBER.  Last Thursday of the month.

You're not even close.

Screwy Canadians.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 03:39:22 am »

Yeah, well, I had Turkey.  Did you have turkey?  Swanson's frozen dinners do not count by the way.

Actually, my calendar is a little screwy - the legitimate Canadian Thanksgiving is actually tomorrow, Monday, where I will again be eating turkey, but this time at my sister's place.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 03:58:19 am »

Did you give thanks that Hockey is back 'cos that's what i'm thinking a Canadian would be thankful about?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 04:28:13 am »

Actually, at the meal my SO's uncle asked if anyone had watched "the game," but no one had, or had any interest.  We don't have an NHL team in my neck of the woods, and all the men I'm around are sporty in the "camping, giraffeing and hiking" way, not the "organized sports" way, so there's a general disinterest in Hockey most of the time any way.  e.g.: my SO's dad was too busy harvesting potatoes, and my SO's uncle trains retreivers and carves decoy ducks.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Imperator Severn

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armeniancaper.com
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 05:03:00 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Yeah, well, I had Turkey.  Did you have turkey?  Swanson's frozen dinners do not count by the way.


Does canned turkey chilli count?  I practically live off that stuff.
Logged
Mueran todos los reyes.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 07:32:54 am »

No, Sunday at Chez Jough is Big Veggie Omelet Day, where the real dish is sauteed green peppers and onions (sometimes mushrooms) and the egg is merely there to hold the veggies together.

Also, today I ate with my dad (his birthday was yesterday) and made bacon too.  I haven't had bacon in I can't even remember when, but I was instantly reminded that it is the most delicious substance on the whole damned planet.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 01:29:50 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
 I haven't had bacon in I can't even remember when, but I was instantly reminded that it is the most delicious substance on the whole damned planet.


have you had maple bacon?  i found it at walmart, but none of the other chains herebouts carry it.

oh my god it is i lahk to die so good.

however, my gurl got so addicted to it i made bacon everyday for 2 weeks and then she didn't want anymore except every once in awhile.

be warned.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 02:13:03 pm »

Maple Bacon on a Bison Burger with Swiss Cheese and Fried Onions and a fresh Kaiser lightly toasted with all the fixin's is so good, you wonder why you would ever go to Burger King ever again.  It is so good, that it is very hard to eat other burgers for quite a while after.  It is the Golden Standard.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 02:24:27 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Maple Bacon on a Bison Burger with Swiss Cheese and Fried Onions and a fresh Kaiser lightly toasted with all the fixin's is so good, you wonder why you would ever go to Burger King ever again.  It is so good, that it is very hard to eat other burgers for quite a while after.  It is the Golden Standard.

Oh my God.

Now I have to find bison. And maple bacon.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 02:27:51 pm »

I think the phrase is the "gold standard."

I've always been more of a beef man when it came to burgers.  I've had burgers made from bison, ostrich, 'roo meat, chicken, and pork, but I always return to good not-so-lean beef to get not only the right flavour, but the right texture.  A burger should have a burgery mouth-feel.

I feel pretty strongly about this.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 02:38:59 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I think the phrase is the "gold standard."

I've always been more of a beef man when it came to burgers.  I've had burgers made from bison, ostrich, 'roo meat, chicken, and pork, but I always return to good not-so-lean beef to get not only the right flavour, but the right texture.  A burger should have a burgery mouth-feel.

I feel pretty strongly about this.


Oops - yes, lets not connect the delicious burger with anything like Golden Showers.  It is the Gold Standard.  Gold.

But yes, both V and Jough, Ark is right, if you like Bacon, get the Maple Stuff. It is the best.  

Also, Jough, the Bison burgers I get are the only type of burger that I think of as better than beef - they are the "President's Choice" brand, only available here in Canada.  They are so thick and meaty and juicy, and their texture is more like a burger and steak combo.  Sooo good.  If you like the sort of crumble thing that beef burger does in your mouth, I can understand your aversion to this.  For me a Bison burger is what I go for when I want something a step up from a steak, not a burger.  

Anyway, as a person who's ancestral history with the eating & prep of Bison goes way, way back, I can tell you that most people don't know how to cook Bison right.  It's way, way leaner than beef, so it can't be treated the same way at all.  It takes much less cooking time, and keeping it moist is totally key.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 02:44:20 pm »

Next time I'm in Canadia I'll have to give the "President's Choice" a try.

However, shouldn't that be "Prime Minister's Choice" up there?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 03:17:24 pm »

It is the "President" of the company, not the country, that this line of products refers to.  In fact, this is the same company I used to work for with the credit card - Loblaws/SuperStore.  Each of their products is usually put out in two versions the "no name" variety, with the yellow packaging, and content of the lowest possible quality, and the "President's Choice" varity, with nicely photographed images and well designed packaging - usually the top-most quality product available, yet usually still cheeper than any of the non-store brands supplied on their shelves.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Happy Turkey Day!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 03:50:46 pm »

OMG, you've met Bob Loblaw?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up