Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Games People Play  (Read 15293 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« on: August 01, 2003, 05:04:26 pm »

My spouse has suddenly become obsessed with games that are played with cards.  He recently bought a set of "Once Upon a Time" cards, and they are neat.  We also have various other games, including Wizard, 5 Crowns, Quiddler, Rook, Uno, Skip-Bo, Magic (TG), and the Star Wars ccg.  Has anybody else played some cool card games lately?  Have any childhood favorites?  We need some reccomendations for games that are good to play with two people.  This is because we don't have any friends.

Sorry, I edited this to help you out with the phpBB code for a link. -- jough
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Cheapass Games
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 05:07:57 pm »

JL, you should check out Cheapass Games. They've got a bunch of awesome games that are, well, cheap, and lately have been focusing on card games.
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Games People Play
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 07:27:14 pm »

my friends and I play tichu, gang of four, the bean game (bonanza is its official title), was sticht, klunker, and many other card games. these have been listed in order of fun, but tichu is only for four players.

I dont really like collectible card games, but a friend of mine swears that the lotr trading card game was really great.

also there are card/tile games that are really REALLY fun that I have been playing with friends lateley, like carcasone and settlers of catan.

since this is the touch forum, though, the most tactile game I have ever played is this beautiful 2 player strategy board game called abalone. I think that abalone is the closest to sex that a board game will ever get.

if there are any games that I listed that you cannot find for mail order online, let me know, because at least one of my friends has all of these.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Re: Games People Play
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 08:06:53 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
"Once Upon a Time" cards,

I remember these!  Some friends of mine had a set way back in the day -- like in high school -- and they were pretty goddamn rad.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Games People Play
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 08:08:48 pm »

i somewhat recently picked up balderdash off ebay--in excellent condition too! :)
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Games People Play
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 08:11:09 pm »

Yea, my Bro has Once Upon a Time. Not had a chance to play it with him yet.
We used to collect and play Illuminati: New World Order which was good. STeve Jackson Games card game that one.
When I was but a kid I used to o  alot of roleplaying, Cyberpunk and the likes, though for fun Toon was a classic. Keep meaning to get together a game or two at some point.
As for more recently, I've spent far more time playing computer games, got a few on preorder atm, Republic, Deus Ex 2, HL2, X2 The Threat...
Need something new to waste what little free time I'm supposed to have since completing Vice City.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 08:12:31 pm »

I think I'm a little turned off on cards after hours upon hours of playing Spades and Egyptian Rat Screw (AKA Mongolian Monkey Fuck) to pass the time at summer camp. Plus this one bastard Noah could count cards and was essentially unbeatable.
Logged

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Rat Screw
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 08:52:43 pm »

Rat Screw's one where you have to slap your hand down on cards at one point, right?  Ultra-competitive girls in high school used to love that game, mostly because they would put deep bloody gouges in the back of your hand with their fingernails if you were quicker.

We were soon conditioned to lose.
Logged

The Wonderous Me

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
memories
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 10:35:43 pm »

Wow.. brought back some memories as an only child, friday nights playing cards and such with parents and grandparents.. Rook, Mille Bornes, Oh Heck(oh Hell), Golf, Tripoly, and I always ran away when they brought out the cribbage board.
:edit: oh, yeah, Pit the card game, Stratego(I think that's what it was called)
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 10:42:20 pm »

The best fun card game is the bestest! it's called Fluxx, and the rules change as you play. google it, it's not that expensive. plus, it comes with a blank card that you can into your own new card for the game! how cool is that?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Games People Play
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 10:46:02 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
The best fun card game is the bestest! it's called Fluxx, and the rules change as you play. google it, it's not that expensive. plus, it comes with a blank card that you can into your own new card for the game! how cool is that?

Sounds like Calvin Ball but without the wickets.
Logged

The Wonderous Me

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
remember these
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 10:47:02 pm »

Does anyone remember the book case games, Oh Wah Ri (I think it was something like that.  Oh and Invention with the little thing that bings when ya stick the card into the patent machine thing.
Logged

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Fluxx!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2003, 11:28:42 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
The best fun card game is the bestest! it's called Fluxx


Yes, Fluxx!  What an excellent and confusing game that is. No other game I know of lets you win by combining Donuts with Nuclear Power.

There's another game by the same makers, but I don't remember the name. With twice as many cards as Fluxx and some kind of time travel theme, it's more baffling than Back to the Future II.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Fluxx!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2003, 11:42:55 pm »

Quote from: "Vinz Clortho"

Yes, Fluxx!  What an excellent and confusing game that is. No other game I know of lets you win by combining Donuts with Nuclear Power.

There's another game by the same makers, but I don't remember the name. With twice as many cards as Fluxx and some kind of time travel theme, it's more baffling than Back to the Future II.


You're thinking of Chrononauts, which is extremely awesome. I recommend it pretty highly; there's enough competition and tactics for those people who play games hardcore, and for those who prefer cardgames in a social context, Chrononauts is a great party card game and can accomodate huge crowds of nerds pretty well.

On the subject of Calvinball-like card games, I've recently gotten pretty into Dvorak -- a very basic framework of rules used to create themed decks of varying complexity and playability. The system somehow gave birth to a game based on Timecube, making it possibly the best meta-card game ever, or at least the one with the most nerd cred.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: memories
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2003, 12:10:24 am »

Quote from: "The Wonderous Me"
Wow.. brought back some memories as an only child, friday nights playing cards and such with parents and grandparents.. Rook, Mille Bornes, Oh Heck(oh Hell), Golf, Tripoly, and I always ran away when they brought out the cribbage board.
:edit: oh, yeah, Pit the card game, Stratego(I think that's what it was called)


Only child high five! ::smack::

To this day I hate the game Gin Rummy because my grandma would totally whoop ass in it on Saturday nights when she was babysitting me.

Also, the Uno people have another game out called Bombo, IIRC. I haven't really looked at it, as I'm a Skip-Bo man, myself.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up