Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Poll

Would you watch it?

Yes
- 5 (27.8%)
No
- 11 (61.1%)
Only to take notes for my upcoming procedure
- 2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 18, 2005, 10:53:00 pm


Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Entertaining TV  (Read 22955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2005, 06:21:18 pm »

Quote
The dad's twin brother


???

Have I just not gotten there yet?

Yeah, pretty much everything about the GOB character is great.  Do we ever know what the O stands for?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2005, 07:30:10 pm »

Sorry! I don't think that should count as a spoiler since you're looking way back - rest assured, though, amusement will ensue when you get there and I haven't really wrecked anything for you.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2005, 08:02:22 pm »

I forget the Gob thing, somebody remind me.

I enjoy that the "next time on" and "previously on" bits are things we never actually see but are apparently canon anyway. Not to mention the narrator's occasional touchiness and defense of all things Ron Howard while referring to him in the 3rd person.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2005, 08:18:27 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I forget the Gob thing, somebody remind me.

I enjoy that the "next time on" and "previously on" bits are things we never actually see but are apparently canon anyway.


I did particularly like the 'next time on' stuff. Oft times the episode was at least worth watching for those. And Gob in general cracks me up. I did rather like some of Tobias' stuff too. The later stuff with the 'do you even listen to yourself speak' was good.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2005, 08:45:26 pm »

Soap was a great show.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2005, 09:40:55 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote
The dad's twin brother


???

Have I just not gotten there yet?

Yeah, pretty much everything about the GOB character is great.  Do we ever know what the O stands for?


GOB's name is George Oscar Bluth II.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2005, 11:17:47 pm »

Well, moving from being against celebrity gossip, to the titilated telling of, perhaps you boys should check out Portia Di Rossi's "official" coming out article in the Advocate.  Somehow I think this makes her more attractive.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2005, 12:33:00 am »

Yeah, I already knew that she preferred the company of women, but really, in my mind, most women like to get it on with both men and women AT THE SAME TIME anyway*.  So it's never much of a stretch to take in the fact of some new celebrity outing.



* And of course, in my mind, I AM THAT MAN.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2005, 01:36:43 am »

Being that I have always been one to like both the men and the ladies (ooh, was that just a board outing?  Ahhh, you all know I work in theatre, so you can fill in the rest) I have to note, that it is the "AT THE SAME TIME" thing that I can't get around.  Waaay too much work.

Anyway, the idea of Portia Di Rossi and Angelina Jolie in one room together, nevermind in a love scene?  w00t!  It's like a totally amped up Betty and Veronica thing!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2005, 01:50:28 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Being that I have always been one to like both the men and the ladies (ooh, was that just a board outing?  Ahhh, you all know I work in theatre, so you can fill in the rest)

I'm not gonna search right now but I'm almost positive that you've mentioned this before. I think in the same post/thread as when you told us you had to wear a school girl uniform. Or I made the whole thing up and look like a huge pervert now. Whichever.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2005, 02:57:17 am »

I'd just like to point out that Arrested Development doesn't make me laugh.  I've watched it several times and it just hasn't done it for me.  I don't dislike it, but I don't feel compelled to watch it again.

My Name is Earl, on the other hand, that's comedy GOLD.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2005, 03:36:35 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'd just like to point out that Arrested Development doesn't make me laugh.  I've watched it several times and it just hasn't done it for me.  I don't dislike it, but I don't feel compelled to watch it again.

My Name is Earl, on the other hand, that's comedy GOLD.


That's pretty much exactly what everyone says at first. In fact, I think I wrote the exact same thing in a blog post about a year ago...here we go:

Quote from: "me, December 7th, 2004"
As for my thoughts on the show...I've tried to watch it about 3 times and it always fails to grab me. Is it funny? Sure, but not enough that I want to drop everything and watch it. It's way better than most of the network fare, that's for sure, but I just can't get into it.


It's a damn hard show to get into. The best test is to just rent the first disc of Season 1. If you don't like it by the time you finish that, then you never will. I gave the show one last chance and rented the first disc, and now I am seriously hooked. I'm not saying you'll be, but it's the best way to find out once and for all.

T JOUGH I actually agree with your complaints about the show. Or at least, Liza Manelli. I wouldn't really classify them as insipid myself. But then, it's probably my favorite show ever right after MST3K and classic Simpsons, so I can't claim much objectivity. I will say that I think you'll probably find less insipidness on disc 3. It contains some of the best episodes in the series. The show really takes off once they get past all the Lucille 2/Marta stuff.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2005, 04:01:29 am »

Bob Loblaw.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2005, 04:54:56 am »

I don't have complaints about it and I've watched nigh on 8 hours.  It just doesn't grab me.  It's OK.  You can enjoy it.  I don't so much.  Life goes on.

For what it's worth, I felt the same way about Soap 25 years ago.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2005, 05:09:58 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "side_show"
Being that I have always been one to like both the men and the ladies (ooh, was that just a board outing?  Ahhh, you all know I work in theatre, so you can fill in the rest)

I'm not gonna search right now but I'm almost positive that you've mentioned this before. I think in the same post/thread as when you told us you had to wear a school girl uniform. Or I made the whole thing up and look like a huge pervert now. Whichever.


Yeah, I probably did mention this in a more off-hand, flirty way a while back.  I tend to feel like it doesn't really matter, it never really mattered in my circle who I was dating before I settled down into monogamy anyway, and especially since I've been in the same relationship for almost four years now, and it's with the boy, and will be with the same boy from now til my head pops off my neck, so the whole issue is moot, really.  Still, come on she's foxy, is all I'm sayin.'
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up