Re: fandom
I was (and to some extent, am) a MSTie. I seriously loved me some Mystery Science Theater 3000. I ran up huge bills on AOL (2400bps!) chatting with other MSTies. I joined the fan club. I bought T-shirts. I volunteered at the convention.
I evangelized. When EVIL COMEDY CENTRAL had the gall to cancel it, I tried to get it taken off local cable networks*. I couldn't understand how anyone could not love the show. I drove 100 miles to see the movie when it opened, and felt sure that it would've been a huge hit if only it had been promoted and put into wide release.
I assume that this is how Browncoats feel about Firefly. I don't get the show, myself, and really don't think I could care that much about a show again. But having been in a similar situation, I can empathize. When you're in a world of fandom, constantly in contact with other fans, you can easily lose sight of the fact that there's a huge, indifferent world out there, and you aren't going to change their opinion because they don't have one.
It's tough to admit that your own niche fandom is just one of thousands, and that the world at large doesn't care.
If I had a point, I think I forgot it. Anyway, I hope Serenity makes/made money. But I don't care, really.
*I made a tape of particularly offensive shows and sent it to churches. No lie.