Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Poll

Would you watch it?

Yes
- 5 (27.8%)
No
- 11 (61.1%)
Only to take notes for my upcoming procedure
- 2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 18, 2005, 10:53:00 pm


Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Entertaining TV  (Read 23003 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2005, 06:03:01 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I don't have complaints about it and I've watched nigh on 8 hours.  It just doesn't grab me.  It's OK.  You can enjoy it.  I don't so much.  Life goes on.

For what it's worth, I felt the same way about Soap 25 years ago.


Oh. Sorry, I didn't want to come off like I was pushing the show on you. I really hate it when people do that and the last thing I want to do is go all browncoat on anyone. I just find it interesting that we both had pretty much the same initial perceptions of the show. I would imagine a lot of people feel the same way and it's probably what's holding the show back in the ratings.

Interesting that you mention Soap too. I've heard that comparison pretty often, but I know nothing about the show. I guess I'm too young.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2005, 07:14:24 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
...from now til my head pops off my neck...


Is...is this something that concievably might happen? Should we be emotionally prepared? Are you actually a Rock'em, Sock'em *****?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2005, 12:01:30 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "side_show"
...from now til my head pops off my neck...


Is...is this something that concievably might happen? Should we be emotionally prepared? Are you actually a Rock'em, Sock'em #####?


Nah, it's just part of her insane new dance move.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2005, 01:29:29 pm »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Oh. Sorry, I didn't want to come off like I was pushing the show on you. I really hate it when people do that and the last thing I want to do is go all browncoat on anyone.

Thank you! The worst are Firefly fans who won't watch Farscape despite it having the same basic plot and being out first. Not to mention some chunks of Trigun. That said, it's a decent show and an OK flick.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2005, 01:41:48 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Oh. Sorry, I didn't want to come off like I was pushing the show on you. I really hate it when people do that and the last thing I want to do is go all browncoat on anyone.

Thank you! The worst are Firefly fans who won't watch Farscape despite it having the same basic plot and being out first. Not to mention some chunks of Trigun. That said, it's a decent show and an OK flick.

Speaking as a big Firefly fan here: I get really frustrated when people act like Firefly was the first space western ever, and especially when they act like Joss is creating pure magic in using very basic tropes of the Western genre. (For example, I've seen lots of praise of Inara as an "innovative" character, and while I agree she's an excellent implementation of her trope, the Hooker With a Heart of Gold Who's Stronger Than She Looks is a pretty standard trope of the genre, people. Joss did not make most of this up.) Perspective, people!
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2005, 01:52:19 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Speaking as a big Firefly fan here: I get really frustrated when people act like Firefly was the first space western ever, and especially when they act like Joss is creating pure magic in using very basic tropes of the Western genre. (For example, I've seen lots of praise of Inara as an "innovative" character, and while I agree she's an excellent implementation of her trope, the Hooker With a Heart of Gold Who's Stronger Than She Looks is a pretty standard trope of the genre, people. Joss did not make most of this up.) Perspective, people!


Nonsense.  Joss Whedon is made of solid gold and he created sunshine.  Also he gave birth to the baby Jesus.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2005, 02:09:30 pm »

Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Speaking as a big Firefly fan here: I get really frustrated when people act like Firefly was the first space western ever, and especially when they act like Joss is creating pure magic in using very basic tropes of the Western genre. (For example, I've seen lots of praise of Inara as an "innovative" character, and while I agree she's an excellent implementation of her trope, the Hooker With a Heart of Gold Who's Stronger Than She Looks is a pretty standard trope of the genre, people. Joss did not make most of this up.) Perspective, people!

Nonsense.  Joss Whedon is made of solid gold and he created sunshine.  Also he gave birth to the baby Jesus.

Aparrish, clearly you need to buy 7 of these.

V-Adore, somehow I knew I could count on you to be a non-insane fan. The couple of Firefly fans I know it real life not only drank the Whedon Kool-Aid but bathe in it daily. So they will here nothing spoken against any of this shows no matter how valid the points are.

Now Ben Edlund. There is a man who can do no wrong.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2005, 02:21:53 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
V-Adore, somehow I knew I could count on you to be a non-insane fan. The couple of Firefly fans I know it real life not only drank the Whedon Kool-Aid but bathe in it daily. So they will here nothing spoken against any of this shows no matter how valid the points are.

Thanks.

This really irritated me while I was talking to friends about Serenity. While I really enjoyed the movie, I wasn't very impressed with some plot points, but talking to the True Browncoat Believers is like talking to a brick wall. The arguments tend to be "hey, it's better than no more Firefly" (fair enough) and "it's JOSS, what are you TALKING ABOUT?" (aaargh).
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2005, 02:26:09 pm »

Every time I hear Joss Wheadons name my colon tries to shoot up through my body and slam into my brain repeatedly until I expire.

Just once I'd like to hear him admit his shit is camp and stop pretending he's re-creating the magna carta

But no, it's always, "Well the essence of this scene was captured by the tenuous relat-"  DUDE YOU HAVE SHOWTUNE DEMONS OKAY?

In conclusion, thanks for the brain bruises you guys... I love you all.  *passes out*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2005, 04:42:10 pm »

I liked "Serenity." I think I might rent "Firefly." And I liked his run on "the Astonishing X-Men."

But I HATE Buffy.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2005, 06:35:06 pm »

I'm really into Veronica Mars.  What a great show.

Lost is pretty decent, although this season so far hasn't been enthralling.

Curb Your Enthusiasm has gotten stale.

I don't really watch the Simpsons anymore.

South Park's mid-season premier was predictable.

My Name is Earl started out much stronger than I would've thought.  Nice surprise there.

I really like the American version of The Office.  It's not an exact clone of its British superiour, and this season it's finding its own legs.  I predict that by next season it'll be one of the "classic" tv comedies on its own.

Everybody Hates Chris is funny, although I don't know if they can keep it up for a whole season, let alone multiple seasons.  Already they're repeating jokes.

I've actually been watching more TV lately due to:

a) my PVR that lets me easily record stuff
b) my PDA which lets me carry TV shows with me, or watch them while laying in bed comfortably
c) the lack of decent movies coming out to DVD

Although when I say "watching tv" I don't mean on an actual television.  I tend to watch stuff either on my PC or PDA, with the PDA gaining more time lately.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2005, 07:13:47 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Although when I say "watching tv" I don't mean on an actual television.  I tend to watch stuff either on my PC or PDA, with the PDA gaining more time lately.


Because it wouldn't be jough if you weren't being the uber-nerd about it.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2005, 07:24:50 pm »

Quote from: "misterqueue"
Every time I hear Joss Wheadons name my colon tries to shoot up through my body and slam into my brain repeatedly until I expire.

Just once I'd like to hear him admit his shit is camp and stop pretending he's re-creating the magna carta

But no, it's always, "Well the essence of this scene was captured by the tenuous relat-"  DUDE YOU HAVE SHOWTUNE DEMONS OKAY?

In conclusion, thanks for the brain bruises you guys... I love you all.  *passes out*


Joss Whedon's writing style on its own irritates me. But if that was it, I could just ignore him and be fine with it. But the goddamned Whedonites. My god. I've heard someone say he is better than Shakespere and they were 100 percent serious. Or how about the guy that paid over 3000 dollars to buy all the tickets for a showing of Serenity and then handed them out to random people?

It's mostly the Browncoats that get me. I can grant you being and obsessive fan of Buffy or Angel, they both lasted 5 or 6 seasons, right? Browncoats terrify me because they are getting all Scientologist over something that had 12 episodes. I just cannot understand how such a rabid fandom can spring up over such a short-lived series. I have a feeling these people would commit suicide if Whedon told them to (and I'm surprised he didn't after Serenity's box office take).

And I should make it clear that I am not speaking of everyone who likes Joss Whedon. I know there are some of you on this board that are fans, and I can respect that. It's just the creepy cultists I hate.

I wonder what it is about Whedon that brings out this scary obsessiveness in people.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2005, 09:13:18 pm »

I saw one episode of Firefly and liked it pretty well. To establish that I am a gigantic dork, I saw it as part of the showings of Hugo-nominated sf films and TV at Worldcon, so I wasn't exactly surprised that it was pretty good. Probably not something I would become a hardcore fan of, but I would enjoy watching the rest of the series and probably will sometime.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2005, 12:50:08 am »

I have never been able to get into Buffy or Angel. The SO really likes both, but... eh, I don't hate them, but they really don't compel me to watch them at all. I'm not sure why I like Firefly better; my pet theory is that Firefly is a show that actually contains adult characters as the primary movers and shakers, but it might be the genre. Who knows?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up