Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rosa Parks is dead  (Read 8565 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Rosa Parks is dead
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2005, 02:39:04 am »

I'm happy to say that my gut feeling is the opposite Paul.  

I grew up and started school shortly after desegregation.  I started the first grade in 1971.  I was around black kids throughout my grade school career, unlike my parents.  We had more contact than any generation before us.  This has extended through my life.  I've had female, black and black female bosses.  20 to 30 years ago I think that would have been highly unusual.  It's not uncommon today.  Hell, we have a black female Secretary of State (who is lousy, which has nothing to do with her race or gender) who replaced a black male, who replaced a white female.

The culture has changed.  It was common for me to hear overtly racist comments from adults when I was growing up.  I don't think my children ever have.  The mass media depicts more diversity in a less self-conscious manner.

I believe everybody has prejudices, some of them racial.  I believe that my generation is more aware of mine and do more to fight them than my parents' generation did.  I believe my kids will do better than I did.

I'm not saying things are perfect, or even close to where they should be.  But I do believe things are getting better, gradually.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Rosa Parks is dead
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2005, 06:01:46 am »

Dude, I used to sit in the back of the bus all the dang time.  I ain't proud.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Rosa Parks is dead
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 01:20:43 am »

Parks may be the first woman to lie in honor at the Capitol.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Rosa Parks is dead
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2005, 01:27:06 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Dude, I used to sit in the back of the bus all the dang time.  I ain't proud.


The shorter the bus, the less the esteem i guess.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Rosa Parks is dead
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2005, 02:21:31 am »

Zing! Winner.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Rosa Parks is dead
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 03:15:51 am »

I'm glad that a thread can be so really touching (AW's) and then be followed by a short bus joke. I'm serious, I'm very happy I can see that.
We are well-rounded.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up