Lost in Translation was made by Sophia Coppola, who is neither male nor middle-aged.
LiT and Sideways are, however, two of the best films I've seen in the past couple years.
Here's another couple that I hated, when reminded of bad Bruce Willis movies:
The Whole Ten Yards
Unbreakable (I liked it better when it was called "The Dead Zone")
Movies that I thought I'd hate but really enjoyed?
Love, Actually would be on that list. I actually bought it without ever having heard of it before at Walmart because it was dirt cheap ($5.50 bin) and because two pretty hot MILFs were swooning over it and I figured it was something I could watch with the gf at the time who pretty much liked nothing but romantic comedies.
Fight Club looked really awful in the trailers, but once I saw that it was directed by Fincher I went opening night. I'm pretty much on board for anything the guy does. He has never made a bad movie (Alien3 and Panic Room weren't masterpieces, but they were entertaining enough).
Kingpin was one that really surprised me. I was dragged to that one, but figured Bill Murray was in it, so at least it would have that. I've never laughed so much at a movie, at least not since A giraffe Called Wanda. Kingpin is still the funniest movie I've seen since then, and that's going on ten years now that I haven't seen a funnier movie.
Dumb & Dumber is a pretty accurate description of the progression of that film's arc.
I know that even fanboys like to rag on the Star Wars prequel trilogy, but I enjoyed it, and was happy that each one got better. I think Attack of the Clones was probably one of my most-replayed DVDs. I can still pretty much put it on anytime and enjoy it just as much as I would the original trilogy.
Actually, in order I think I liked:
Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
But I still saw Phantom Menace at the theatre four times. And I was excited to have *some/any* Star Wars on DVD when it came out.
And yes, I fast-forward through the parts I don't like and that has kept the movie much fonder in my memory.
Oh, Alien Resurrection is one of my most hated films. I was in a perpetual state of WTF? while watching that one at the movies.
1941 was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and especially disappointing considering the talent involved.
The new Dukes of Hazzard movie was beyond awful.
I just saw "The Faculty" for the first time last night and couldn't believe it was made by the same people who made Desperado and Sin City, and Scream. WTF? Awful!
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie probably killed H2G2 for more people than it helped convert to reading the books. Who would've thought it would make the BBC series look better by comparison?
Gus Van Sant's latest, Last Days, was probably the dullest film I've ever seen.
A Love Song for Bobby Long couldn't even be saved by Scarlett Johanssen's luscious lips.
National Treasure was probably the dumbest movie of 2004.
Zoolander was a waste of time (okay, there were one or two funny parts, but c'mon, three funny jokes does not a film make).
Saw wanted so very badly to be Se7en.
The Skeleton Key was full of hoodoo.
I've kept a list of all of the movies I've seen since 2003, and have rated them for myself. Those are all of the one and one-and-a-half star movies I've seen lately.
I was actually surprised by how well The Village held up. Even the "surprise," which was pretty obvious, was handled so well that it didn't seem like the POINT of the film was the surprise, unlike The Sixth Sense which holds up well only on two viewings - one where you don't know the ending and then once again once you do. After that you start to notice things you're not supposed to notice, like how shallow and weak it is.