Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The In-N-Out 20x20  (Read 20087 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 06:27:24 am »

I have never had In-N-Out, but I have to say that I find Krispy Kremes pretty unpalatable. I don't get all the waxing rhapsodic over them.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 07:03:15 am »

Goddamn I wish we had Krispy Kremes over here, we used to have Dunkin' Doughnuts but these were too sophisticated for our little country so (as far as I can tell) they just decided to cut there losses since they all seem to have closed.
But I do miss them fancy doughnuts. That was some high quality shit.

I know I'm being low brow here but if I was going to make a religion freindly fast food chain isn't In-N-Out a little suggestive? I'm probably scraping the bottom of the barrel here but I just can't get the thought out of my head. Then again maybe they were cool with that.
It is certainly cool that there are still religious folk who can just put their message out there without being all in your face or judgemental about it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 08:02:50 am »

I too have only had but one In N Out burger. Also didn't see what the hype was about. Maybe because I'm Jewish.

I think there's some kind of a cultish appeal about it. Good drunk food. Good eating contest food. White Castle holds the same appeal out here in the midwest, and it's debatable as to whether that's even technically food.

They're too cheap for onions. They use onion flavored celery.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 09:25:01 am »

I was in LA for about 4 days, andalucia has some postcards about it, and my brother made me go to every local burger chain. When we cleaned our car out at the Hertz place, before getting on the plane to New York, we had to throw away a big ol' bag of In-And-Out trash.
I thought it was very good.
But I had just gone to a Fatburger.

ADVANTAGE- FATBURGER.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 09:52:00 am »

Quote from: "Fatburger slogan"
Converting vegetarians since 1952.


That alone might be worthy of another West Coast trip.

V-Adore

  • Guest
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 01:35:48 pm »

See, the Krispy Kreme/Dunkin' Donuts rivalry I can get because they have qualitatively different donut styles. White Castle/Krystal is the same -- definitively different product. But what is the In-N-Out difference? The one time I ate there, it seemed like, well, a good fast-food burger and not a lot else.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 02:03:44 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
However, when it comes to cynical little me, unlike the In-n-Out, which seems to be a family business gone big-ish, there are big businesses that try to inject the personal into the their product, just to insidiously convince you that they do care.  The Wal-Mart greeter?  Bah!  The more spin there is, the more cynical I become to the whole process of consuming, the more I want to go to the corner store, eat at the family run restaurant, etc., etc., etc.  I'm just so bloodly sick of being played.

Clearly you've been reading Burger King wrappers lately. They've gone to ridiculous extremes lately to make it seem like the wrapper for your Whopper is a personal message to you.

My only Krispy Kreme experience is with the "donuts" they sell at Safeway which come in a Krispy Kreme box. The only real donuts I've had are the unavoidable Dunkin' Donuts and the occasional Mr. Donut. But frankly, as long as they're decently made and there's still some Boston Creme left then I'm a happy camper.

Also, Five Guys burgers are awesome.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 02:32:28 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
and I don't really consider citations 'biblical content'.


ya, and i agree with you about all the other stuff.  If chik-fil-a wants to be closed on Sunday, fine, i won't eat there and all.

but, if a citation isn't biblical content, um, then what is?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2005, 03:00:34 pm »

I don't care if they worship Don Knotts and print quotes from "Three's Company" on the bags.  As long as they bring the burger, I'm all for it.  (Of course, In-n-Out is the only fast food chain I'll eat a burger at - thanks, Eric Schlosser!)

Krispy Kreme donuts are death.  You feel good about eating maybe the first bite and then the feeling hits you and sinks into your stomach: you are essentially eating a toroid of lard.  You finish the donut out of a sense of obligation (the secretary went all the way to Union City to get them, after all!  She waited four hours in line!) but quietly vow never to eat another again.  Your fingers are all sticky now.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2005, 04:54:49 pm »

Krispy Kreme recently moved up nawth here in a big way.  I liked that the plain glazed were heated before they served them to you, but usually I'm not eating donuts immediately after purchase, but bringing them with me to the office or some social gathering, so whatever goodness comes from being warm goes away when these tasteless dough-puffs cool off.

I do not understand the appeal.  They kinda sucked.

Maybe it's because I always used to get Dunkin' Donuts, or bakery doughnuts, but dang, Krispy Kreme just did not live up to the hype.

I did once see someone make a hamburger using two Krispy Kreme donuts as the "buns" and Cheese Whiz for the cheese and it was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen another human consume.

And I know a guy who likes to eat insects.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2005, 05:18:57 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I did once see someone make a hamburger using two Krispy Kreme donuts as the "buns" and Cheese Whiz for the cheese and it was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen another human consume.



Yummers.

V-Adore

  • Guest
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2005, 06:16:50 pm »

Quote from: "Emmoh"
Quote from: "jough"
I did once see someone make a hamburger using two Krispy Kreme donuts as the "buns" and Cheese Whiz for the cheese and it was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen another human consume.



Yummers.

Words fail. People ATE this. MULTIPLE, UNCONNECTED PEOPLE ate this.

...

:cry:
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2005, 07:06:56 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
and I don't really consider citations 'biblical content'.


ya, and i agree with you about all the other stuff.  If chik-fil-a wants to be closed on Sunday, fine, i won't eat there and all.

but, if a citation isn't biblical content, um, then what is?


Content has meaning.

If I wrote "Tom Saywer: Chapter 27, Paragraph 2" to you it's pretty meaningnless unless you've committed the novel to memory in an indexed way.

If I said to you Exodus 16:12 (kind of appropriate for a burger bag) it has no meaning to you unless you are an Old Testament Scholar. There is no content there for the masses. The tiniest fraction of people would get it at all and a large proportion of that fraction keep kosher, so it's wasted.

Anyhow, the point is, I don't think you can equate citation with content. Otherwise, footnotes would be either really long or unnecessary.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2005, 07:30:32 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


Content has meaning.



exactly.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
The In-N-Out 20x20
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 07:57:44 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Anyhow, the point is, I don't think you can equate citation with content. Otherwise, footnotes would be either really long or unnecessary.


Citing Bible verses, though, is a pretty well-situated, contentful thing to do, even if the exact content of the verse refered to isn't immediately known to whoever is reading the citation.  Just making a citation says a lot, e.g., I am a Christian, I'm not afraid to proselytize, etc.

Just like (and I'm jumping the Godwin gun here, sorry) if I wore a t-shirt that said, "Mein Kampf, p. 309" I couldn't honestly expect people to let me explain that, no, no, page 309 is where Adolf lovingly extolls the virtues of wildflowers and honeybees.

Not that I'm equating citing Bible verses with being a Nazi.  Flip open to a gospel and cite that fucker away!  The Bible is nice.  I just thought the Mein Kampf thing would make for a good metaphor.  I'm done now.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up