Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!  (Read 3642 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sam_spade

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« on: November 14, 2005, 06:11:32 am »

http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=11142005

The teller receives multiple gunshot wounds in this one. Discuss.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 06:30:15 am »

I love this strip.

This strip is pure character development.  Beef and Biz are interacting in front of a blank background.  It's just the two of them.  There are lots of ways both of them can go from this point.  Given that Beef is a (the?) main character, a twin brother can only help to create interesting plot developments.  

Evil Twins?  That's getting awfully close to cliche country.  Careful, O.

I hope Biz develops into a complex character like Ray.  We don't need another cardboard cutout asshole like Pat.  Two-dimensional characters suck.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jmcc

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 06:56:41 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I love this strip.

This strip is pure character development.  Beef and Biz are interacting in front of a blank background.  It's just the two of them.  There are lots of ways both of them can go from this point.  Given that Beef is a (the?) main character, a twin brother can only help to create interesting plot developments.  

Evil Twins?  That's getting awfully close to cliche country.  Careful, O.

I hope Biz develops into a complex character like Ray.  We don't need another cardboard cutout asshole like Pat.  Two-dimensional characters suck.

He's already getting dimensions. Look at how dejected he looks when asked if those are the only two countries he knows. I think he's just a dude who wants to connect with his brother and is having a hard time.
Logged

Jimmy Kustes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 07:44:39 am »

Pat does have demensions. He did something nice this week by relieving the sample lady so she can go off and cry.

He's one of the most fun and relatable characters.
Logged

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 08:31:44 am »

Congrats, Showbiz, it was the first time you made me laugh, when your brother pointed out that you ate a hot dog bun spread with a somewhat exotic cheese because you thought it was past-date mayonnaise. Good show.

The alt-text is interestingly sarcastic today.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 11:30:00 am »

What the hell guys? No one mentioned the CH-CHK! This is the defining Showbiz moment: he is the guy without shame, he is the guy who is living his dreams because he has nothing else.

What I truly fear is that Showbiz is going to meet up with Todd, though I'm sure they've met each other before. Seems they'd travel in the same circles. Although at least Todd actually runs smack in his van, I doubt Showbiz has even clawed his way that high on the petty crime ladder.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

sam_spade

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 11:52:57 am »

Yeah, the whole pistol thing is awesome.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 01:32:16 pm »

I'm actually pretty intrigued by Showbiz. He's nicely walking the line between "heedlessly assholish" and "just pathetic," and he's slowly developing a real personality, too, which is nice. Also, I like the fact that Beef seems to be getting more assertive towards him. I think it's a positive development arc for Beef that more and more of his interactions with assholes have actually been questioning/sarcastic instead of passive.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 02:08:04 pm »

This is actually reminding me of Malcolm in the Middle except that Malcolm just assumes that every single person that he meets is about equal with Showbiz on the intellectual scale.

I'm still trying to figure out how picking up chicks while one has the runs works out.
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 04:46:11 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Evil Twins?  That's getting awfully close to cliche country.  Careful, O.


Up next, alternative universe Ray!



That's not Ketel One in that shaker.  It's Grey Goose.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 04:47:17 pm »

Showbiz loading a round into the chamber of his hand/gun made me snicker a little, as did his shooting the bank teller IMMEDIATELY after demanding money (and then Beef again for calling his ignorance into the light).

Stupid people tend to know they're stupid, I think, and try to overcompensate by coming up with ideas that they hope other people will agree are clever.  They tend not to like it when you point out their mental limitations.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 05:07:29 pm »

Yeah.. the CH-CHIK sold it for me... as did the fact that both it and the first POW are afterthoughts to his statements.

I'm gonna start doing that all the time now,

"Hey I'll be right back.. I'm going to the grocery store...  POW!"
"Will you pick up milk?"
"No.. CH-CHIK!"
"Why are you such an idiot?"
"POW!"
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 05:42:51 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Showbiz loading a round into the chamber of his hand/gun made me snicker a little, as did his shooting the bank teller IMMEDIATELY after demanding money (and then Beef again for calling his ignorance into the light).

I assumed that he was shooting into the wall or something just to prove that the gun is real and loaded, not actually wasting the teller.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 06:45:58 pm »

Showbiz is kind of like the combination of Napoleon Dynamite and Uncle Rico. Weird combination.

I just think he's both socially inept and not very creative, so he's trapped in his own little world.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up