Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)  (Read 12031 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« on: December 02, 2005, 03:09:32 pm »

Okay, we need to construct some sort of beer hierarchy, because you cannot simply say that PBR is an absolute shit beer without noting the existence of the Beast and Natty Ice. We're going to have to rate things. It might get tough. Tensions might be revealed. Dare I posit that tempers might FLARE.

I think we can safely say that Natural Ice is at the very bottom (in the dog piss category), followed by Milwaukee's Best (dog piss), etc. We need to categorize into "Dog Piss," "Piss Water," "Hobo Piss," "Cheap Beer," etc., all the way up to "Reward Beer."
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

tcc

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 03:31:45 pm »

As an aussie I would be very keen to see a rated list of US beers.  Also if you could manage a list for "tastes good when already stoned" and "awesome after a root" - that'd be way cool.
Logged
wangtime, mongoose style

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 04:05:13 pm »

Beer snobbery is a preposterous idea.  Have some dignity.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 04:34:09 pm »

I'm not a beer drinker, so I can't help rate, but I would love to see such a list myself, because I'm a nerd like that.

If anyone wants to do a whiskey list, though, I will try any sent to me.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 04:34:34 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Beer snobbery is a preposterous idea.  Have some dignity.

~Paul


There's nothing snobby about drinking beer that doesn't taste like molding onions soaked in hoss urine.  On the other hand, I'll admit....

I sometimes drink PBR.  The bar right down the street from my house has it on tap for $.50, and it is drinkable - several notches above, say, Busch Light, Milwaukee's Best (Light or not), or Keystone.

I'd like to clarify this by saying that I also appreciate actual good beer, beer that I'd be willing to pay more than $.50 for.  I don't think that appreciating beer is snobbery, nor ranking beer - snobbery implies that you have an aversion or attraction to something based on non-practical reasons - for instance, idiots like designer clothing not because it's attractive (most of it isn't), but because it's expensive and recognizable, and therefore a status symbol.  I like good beer because it tastes good, regardless of price or brand.

So, sorry Paul, much respect for you and whatever you're drinking, but let the classification commence!

edit:  Let me also say that this discussion should probably be moved to Sports and Leisure.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 05:09:54 pm »

Realizing that there are people in this world who actually drink non alcoholic beer.  I ask you, would any of you drink even the best tasting beer in the world if it did not have the accompanying intoxicating effect?  I say no because even the best tasting beers are pretty damn bad relatively speaking.  No one ever drinks beer for the taste ever.  Ever!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 05:40:43 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Realizing that there are people in this world who actually drink non alcoholic beer.  I ask you, would any of you drink even the best tasting beer in the world if it did not have the accompanying intoxicating effect?  I say no because even the best tasting beers are pretty damn bad relatively speaking.  No one ever drinks beer for the taste ever.  Ever!

~Paul


Good argument but...wrong.  I drink beer for the beer taste!  The unfortunate thing about beer is that in order to get that taste, it has to have alcohol - the breakdown of sugars by yeast produces a lot of the flavor, and the alcohol allows it to last more than 8 minutes - unfortunately, non-fermented beer is pretty much the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive in, and is also non-carbonated.  N-A beer tastes terrible because they've had to do all sorts of things to remove the alcohol while still making sure it won't kill you.  

When I'm drinking good beer, usually I drink one - no intoxicating effects whatsoever, just delicious flavor.  Actually that tends to be why I drink more when I drink terrible beer, because as the drunkening commences, the terrible flavor is less and less of a problem.  Good beer I drink for the delicious beer flavor, as do most other beer lovers.  If they could make NA beer that tasted like some of my favorite beers, I'd be drinking it ALL THE TIME.  Rather than reaching for a glass of water or a coke, I'd be having delicious beer, all the time (and would probably develop a weight problem).  As it stands, however, I only have a beer once a week or so, and it's special and delicious, and I hope that someday you too will find a beer that you would like to drink for flavor alone.

edit:  Why does phpBB add an extra (/b) when I've clearly already done so?  WHY!?
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 06:20:24 pm »

Good post!

I agree. At a restaurant, I will drink a premium beer (just one or two) and enjoy it.

I rarely drink beer for the effects - it takes too much of it for the effect to be interesting.

Now Tequila, on the other hand...
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 07:01:48 pm »

i used to drink natural lite.  don't remember if i drank ice or not.
it really wasn't bad.
i keep looking for busch lite, because i figure it will be cheap like busch.
i kind of like busch, after the 1st half of a bottle.

whenever i get confused about why someone rabidly thinks his chevy pickup is vastly superior to someone's ford pickup, and vice versa, a take a nce long pull off my miller lite and vocally scorn any and all who drink that crap that pretends to be beer, bud lite.  and then i go help the chevy guy beat up the ford guy.

good times.

so,
can you afford it?
do you like sitting in it?
and, to me, most importantly, does it get you where you need to go?

i mean,
is someone with an overbored 1.8->2.0 liter, turboed, and nitrous'd
requiring octane booster to pump 93 when running full boost getting
4 mpg really justified in saying how ineffiecient that dude in his escalade really is?

i mean, dude, you are throwing cash at something and it is getting you where you want to go.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 07:42:23 pm »

I drink beer for the taste. Oh, god, do I love beer. Beery beery beer.
If I'm drinking for taste, I'll get a nice Brooklyn Pale Ale, maybe a Magic Hat, depending on how I feel. If they have a special seasonal Magic Hat out, I'll grab that (The HI.P.A. tastes like weed. And also, amazingly, tastes good.).
Right now, I'm happy to have discovered Woodpecker English Cider- 4.2% alcohol by volume (about the same as Bud Light), and really quite delightful. I have declared it the "beer of breakfast," as the apple accents really go well with sausage and eggs. Boddington's is the "beer of lunch," and Guiness is the "beer of dinner," or possible just "dinner," as it is basically like eating a pound of potatoes.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 08:00:30 pm »

When I was down in New York for Thanksgiving, my cousin got me hooked on Belhaven. That's a beer to love.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 08:06:14 pm »

Hell yes I drink beer for the taste.  

Or I did, before I started this diet.  I been on the wagon all week, and beer's pretty much verboten anyway even when I can drink.

To address the question at hand:

I can appreciate Beef Tenderloin, yet I still eat at White Castle occasionally.  Thus it is for beer.  There is a time and a place for all things, including cheap beer.

Do I recognize that Bass is better than Stroh's?  Sure.  But I still drink Stroh's sometimes.  Or Little Kings.  Or Miller High Life.  Or Milwaukee's Best.  Because sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

Actually, I miss some of the regional cheap brews.  I'm thinking mainly of Sterling at this point.  I know they still make it, but it's in cans and it doesn't taste the same as when it was in the old squat brown bottles.  Miss that stuff.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 08:10:08 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I ask you, would any of you drink even the best tasting beer in the world if it did not have the accompanying intoxicating effect?


I have to say that the most disappointing thing about moving to NYC from the Bay Area is the fact that a lot of folks in NYC seem to have pmcd9's attitude.  It is much more difficult, on average, to get good beer in a NYC bar it is in a bar in San Francisco (or Oakland or Berkeley).  It's like they don't even care about beer over here.  In the Bay Area even the diviest of dives would have like awesome microbrews on tap, but here in NYC I think people don't even want to hear the word "microbrew."  Or even "local brewery" (Brooklyn Brewery excepted).  "Drink your Sam Adams and be happy about it!"

Maybe I'm just going to the wrong bars.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 08:35:14 pm »

The worst Beer I ever tasted was Shaeffer.  I think it was .99 for a sixer.  Mind, this was in the early 80's, but still, that's f'n cheap.  Damn was it bad.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 11:04:38 pm »

I was at a New Year's Eve show that featured a Natty Boh toast a midnight. It was so bad that virtually nobody took more than the first sip. This was free alcohol on New Year's Eve at midnight and people still weren't interested.

This is how bad National Bohemian is.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up