Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)  (Read 12005 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2005, 09:34:19 pm »

American coffee is pretty strong - at least it is when I make it.

Of course, we don't GROW coffee here, so we rely on Columbian, Jamaican, and Italian beans.  Brazillian coffee is still popular, although not as much as it was in the 80s.

Actually, I think coffee is grown in Hawaii, right?  That's still America.  

But your basic cup o' joe here is usually Columbian grown.  Juan Valdez is a popular character.

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 04:43:44 am »

Erdinger. Erdinger's the name of hed pliy gfhmm
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 06:28:05 am »

Whoa, so I've missed this entire beer discussion till now.

Anyway, I really like Sam Adams.  Someone dissed on it earlier in the thread.  Every beer they make is good, and is always a good standby.  In fact, after my flight over the Atlantic back to the US this summer, I ordered a Sam Adams at a pub in the airport (I can't even remember which airport, I was so fuck*ng tired.  I'd have to look).  It tasted so good.  And I slept the entire way to Salt Lake.  

Guiness is my favorite beer (stout, but beery enough) that is easy to find.

The best beer I've ever had (also a stout) I picked up in Copenhagen when I was staying in Germany.  I brought it back and cracked it open on my birthday.  It was made by Ceres and called Royal Stout (picture).  Now, the beers I had picked up were over 7% alcohol by volume, and this was the fourth beer I drank, so I was already starting to feel it a bit.  But holy shit if it wasn't the tastiest stout I'd ever had.  I also had Beamish for the first time in Germany, and it was every bit as good as Guiness, as I recall.  

I pretty much prefer stout to anything.  There are a few good locally brewed stouts here.  The other night we ordered three pitchers of a Christmas Raspberry Stout.  The sample tasted excellent.  The first pitcher was good.  The second was OK.  The third we realized that the raspberry taste was a bit too overwhelming.  But their standard stout--Latter Day Stout--is excellent.  Not Guiness, but close enough.  Their IPA is also excellent.

Quote from: "wombat"
V is right that there's nothing snobbier than tea


Agreed:  tea is a good thing to be snobby about.  So is wine and certain types of hard liqour.  Not exactly healthy, but healthier than beer.  Anyway, I've wanted to spend more time with tea, but don't have it, or the money.  Soon enough...
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2005, 09:38:41 am »

Quote from: "jough"
American coffee is pretty strong - at least it is when I make it.

Of course, we don't GROW coffee here, so we rely on Columbian, Jamaican, and Italian beans.  Brazillian coffee is still popular, although not as much as it was in the 80s.

Actually, I think coffee is grown in Hawaii, right?  That's still America.  

But your basic cup o' joe here is usually Columbian grown.  Juan Valdez is a popular character.


We grow coffee in Hawaii.

Tea may not be an option if he's quitting because of the caffeine - or the acidic quality - if so, then he's gotta drink green tea.

I had to switch to decaf when my guts went cattywumpus. It was the caffeeine and the fact that apprently there is a good chance I hypersecrete adrenaline (which explains a lot). The actual test for that is both really expensive and not available here on Danger Island.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2005, 05:36:51 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
apprently there is a good chance I hypersecrete adrenaline (which explains a lot).


That's a malady I've never heard of.  It would seem to have lots of comedic potential in an SNL skit sort of way.  Not to minimize its impact on you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2005, 06:18:02 pm »

so i bought some Pete's wicked and six in cans of tecate,
hadn't realized the gas station known for beer actually
had beer for the 12 years i've lived here.
sad.
forgot how good pete's is,
and the tecate, oh dear, i assumed would be much cheaper.
much cheaper.
i assumed, so much, that i didn't look at the price before i bought it.
oh dear.
who pays almost 10 dollars for a six in cans of anything?

oh dear.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2005, 07:10:36 pm »

Ok, having survived some solid drinking last night I come back with some names. Duvet, Kwak and Erdinger - they're all from Belgium, and they are very strong - 8%; Kwak comes in a funny glass (a funny 500ml glass - it takes a while to finish them...). And asking some friends, this is what there is about the beer scene over here:

The most popular is called Skol, then you have a tie with Brahma and Antarctica below; scattered with some fanatic followers you have Itaipava (piss beer), Bavaria (bad-to-you beer); and then some smaller, specialized brews - your same-type deal of dark ales, winter ales, sweet beer (for me sweet beers are a bit like Mitch Hedberg went about pancakes: "you start 'em all excited, but then by the end you're fuck*ng sick of 'em"). Your Miller is very popular here (my favorite, actually), we also get Budweiser (which is just too bitter for me)... The other day Antarctica ran a TV ad where a woman licked beer foam out of her lips like if it was sperm. People here are fuck*ng *subtle*...
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2005, 09:38:48 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
apprently there is a good chance I hypersecrete adrenaline (which explains a lot).


Hypoglycemia sucks, I want to hypersecrete adrenaline! I'm imagining it giving you a dragonball-esque boost in energy in dangerous situations. That is probably not what it does.

Whenever I quit coffee, my dad makes me a merciless latte. Thanks, dad! Seriously, I am appreciative of his lattes.
Logged
I am older now.

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2005, 03:07:27 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Where in New York do you live? Perhaps I can point you in the direction of some cool places.


I'm up in Inwood/Washington Heights.  "The Part Of Manhattan That's So Far North It's In The Bronx."  I might be beyond help.
Logged

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2005, 03:14:19 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Anyway, I really like Sam Adams.  Someone dissed on it earlier in the thread.  Every beer they make is good, and is always a good standby.

That was me.  I'm fine with Sam Adams, I just get frustrated when it's like the only drinkable beer available at a bar.

Quote from: "miles"
I pretty much prefer stout to anything.  There are a few good locally brewed stouts here.  The other night we ordered three pitchers of a Christmas Raspberry Stout.  The sample tasted excellent.  The first pitcher was good.  The second was OK.  The third we realized that the raspberry taste was a bit too overwhelming.  But their standard stout--Latter Day Stout--is excellent.  Not Guiness, but close enough.  Their IPA is also excellent.


Maybe you can post a list of good local Utah brews?  I left the state when I was too young to drink (and too emotionally immature to realize that it was an Okay Thing To Do) and have therefore never really had any good drinkin' when I'm back home over the holidays.  Anyway, it would be cool to know what the good stuff is.  So I don't have to get the 3.2 Bud from the supermarket.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2005, 03:46:54 pm »

Quote from: "aparrish"
Maybe you can post a list of good local Utah brews?


Yeah, and you can PM me if you'd like for specific locations, too, like near where you'll be.

These guys have some decent beer.  Actually, I've only tried one, the Polygamy Porter, but it's good.  I've heard the quality is pretty consistent across the board.  They are up in Park City, but you can find the stuff in grocery stores and bars in the Salt Lake area.

I've tried a few from these guys.  Or at least a couple.  The Barley Wine is good, but you can only get it at liqour stores (unless some bars carry it--or maybe if you visit the location).

These guys have a pub downtown (I haven't been to this one, only the smaller one they have at the airport) but it's supposed to be good.  I've tried a lot of their brews, and they are probably my favorite local brewery.

I can't find a website for Desert Edge, but it's at Trolley Square.  Their Stout, Pilsener, and Utah Pale Ale are very excellent.  Here's a decent site.

Most of the breweries make a really decent Hefeweizen, too.

If you want really strong beer at home, you have to go to the liquor store (which has shitty hours and is closed on Sundays).  They sell good beer at grocery stores, but as you know, there's a limit to the alchohol content.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2005, 06:46:59 pm »

Quote from: "antioch"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
apprently there is a good chance I hypersecrete adrenaline (which explains a lot).


Hypoglycemia sucks, I want to hypersecrete adrenaline! I'm imagining it giving you a dragonball-esque boost in energy in dangerous situations. That is probably not what it does.


Nope. I wish. I wish the shit could make me fly

In piecing together other pieces of my life, it makes sense to mel

Dx'd 'Hyperactive' in grade school despite non standard presentation
Generally high level of nervous energy
General problems with self-discipline and self control growing up
High level of difficulty in tense sedentary situations (like high pressure meetings)
Unusual physical reactions to situations where I get very angry or otherwise emotionally riled

You see, the adrenaline is scecreted and the body can do NOTHING with it, so it hangs around. It seems to wind up affecting the most active system it can, which is the digestive system - leading to symptoms very similar to IBS.

I've found I do well if I maintain a moderate, consistent level of aerobic exercise, avoid caffeine, consistenly provide myself with adequate levels of fiber and water, and work hard to let things go, and make positive progress.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2005, 09:12:48 pm »

Eek, that sounds like me.  Not the childhood stuff (I was an angel, seriously) but as an adult I have like five out of six of those symptoms.

Does giving up caffeine really help?  I would really miss my snobbish tea habit.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2005, 09:16:47 pm »

Giving up caffeine was probably the second biggest help, but getting in a good hour of aerobic exercise (monitoring the heart rate constantly to keep it up) was probably the most important thing.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2005, 02:10:36 am »

I was kind of hoping that it made you into the Incredible Aloha Hulk- a kinder, gentler Hulk, who wears bermuda shorts and kayaks. Maybe he has a beard.
But I know how the adrenaline thing is, although my ongoing experience with it is short-term- because I'm going off that medicine, my body is basically experiencing a low-level panic attack at all times. My adrenaline levels are boosted to the roof right now; consequently, every time I eat something, there's a two hour period that comes twenty minutes later where I get a constant stomach pain, the kind you get from a square-on hit in the balls. Is that the sort of stomach pain you had, AD?

Quote from: "aparrish"
I'm up in Inwood/Washington Heights. "The Part Of Manhattan That's So Far North It's In The Bronx." I might be beyond help.


137th and Broadway, boyee! I'm not in Inwood yet, but I feel your pain- none of my Brooklyn friends ever want to come up. But I'm thinkin'....
There's a cheap reggae bar in the West 120's- WE SHOUD PARTY.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up