Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05  (Read 5754 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2005, 05:06:44 am »

I took it to mean that his lifestyle was making his diabetes worse.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2005, 08:17:52 am »

"This is the kind of lifestyle that diabetes is designed to smack into".
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2005, 04:32:30 pm »

Yeah, I don't think that was what Onstad meant.  I believe it's more of a "Ray's lifestyle drives in diabetes like a hammer does a nail."

But still, it's not a very good analogy/simile.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I don't think that was what Onstad meant.  I believe it's more of a "Ray's lifestyle drives in diabetes like a hammer does a nail."

But still, it's not a very good analogy/simile.


Dr. Andretti didn't go to med school to craft witty analogies. He went to med school to become a doctor.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2005, 05:20:34 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I don't think that was what Onstad meant.  I believe it's more of a "Ray's lifestyle drives in diabetes like a hammer does a nail."

But still, it's not a very good analogy/simile.


Dr. Andretti didn't go to med school to craft witty analogies. He went to med school to become a doctor.

I dunno, I thought his bathroom poem was pretty deft. (Can't be bothered to CortJstr -- my apologies.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2005, 06:30:27 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I don't think that was what Onstad meant.  I believe it's more of a "Ray's lifestyle drives in diabetes like a hammer does a nail."

But still, it's not a very good analogy/simile.

Dr. Andretti didn't go to med school to craft witty analogies. He went to med school to become a doctor.

I dunno, I thought his bathroom poem was pretty deft. (Can't be bothered to CortJstr -- my apologies.)

You mean If It's Yellow Let it Mellow?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2005, 06:34:18 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I don't think that was what Onstad meant.  I believe it's more of a "Ray's lifestyle drives in diabetes like a hammer does a nail."

But still, it's not a very good analogy/simile.

Dr. Andretti didn't go to med school to craft witty analogies. He went to med school to become a doctor.

I dunno, I thought his bathroom poem was pretty deft. (Can't be bothered to CortJstr -- my apologies.)

You mean If It's Yellow Let it Mellow?

Thank you, Cort. Truly you are the CortJstr of my soul.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2005, 06:37:28 pm »

August west--
there are no longer analogies on the SAT. I cried hot tears when I discovered this.

And then, a -year- after they made all of the changes, my school asked me to write an article about it for the school paper. long after people had stopped caring. I got pretty upset about that, too.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2005, 12:16:27 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I don't think that was what Onstad meant.  I believe it's more of a "Ray's lifestyle drives in diabetes like a hammer does a nail."

But still, it's not a very good analogy/simile.

Dr. Andretti didn't go to med school to craft witty analogies. He went to med school to become a doctor.

I dunno, I thought his bathroom poem was pretty deft. (Can't be bothered to CortJstr -- my apologies.)

You mean If It's Yellow Let it Mellow?


That's not an Andretti original, though. I heard it a long time ago in the context of correct toilet practice during water shortages, albeit not with the final line.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer 12/09/05
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2005, 04:49:00 am »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
That's not an Andretti original, though. I heard it a long time ago in the context of correct toilet practice during water shortages, albeit not with the final line.


We've all heard that part, but the final line is what makes it brilliant.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up