Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Poll

Which of these potential TOUAMB message board software systems do you prefer?

Invision Power Board
- 4 (23.5%)
Phorum
- 0 (0%)
vBulletin
- 0 (0%)
Zorum
- 0 (0%)
UBB Threads
- 0 (0%)
Simple Machines Forum
- 2 (11.8%)
Vanilla
- 2 (11.8%)
Whatever, dude.  You know more about this shit than I do.
- 9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: December 12, 2005, 04:38:14 pm


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Board Software  (Read 11280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 03:33:56 am »

achewood.proboards153.com

yes sir
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 05:22:34 pm »

I agree with everyone who mentioned the 'read' feature being frustrating on the current board. If I close my browser or simpy wait long enough, all posts are marked read. I'm sure I missed plenty of posts this way. That's something I won't miss. Also, if emoticons are unavailable I won't miss those either.

I would miss board ranks, avatars, private messaging, and profiles that include web links.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 05:48:29 pm »

I don't think the current board's "read" feature is too bad. In my experience you have to leave the page open for like an hour before it marks everything as read which seems reasonable as far as these things go.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 05:53:19 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I don't think the current board's "read" feature is too bad. In my experience you have to leave the page open for like an hour before it marks everything as read which seems reasonable as far as these things go.

The problem I have with the read feature is when you pop on for five minutes and discover a shit ton of messages that you don't have time to read at that moment.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
New Board Software
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 06:12:16 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I don't think the current board's "read" feature is too bad. In my experience you have to leave the page open for like an hour before it marks everything as read which seems reasonable as far as these things go.

The problem I have with the read feature is when you pop on for five minutes and discover a shit ton of messages that you don't have time to read at that moment.


This is also my, and my only, compaint about the forum as it is.  It'd be nice to save messages for later.  But I know nothing about this shit.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 02:20:56 am »

One thing I like about Invision POWER BOARD is that it has a link in all the quote-boxes where you can go back to the post being quoted. That's good times.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
New Board Software
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 06:52:22 am »

I think I've settled on the Simple Machines Forum.  The layout and features are much like the current board, and they also claim a feature that:

Tracking of new and old unread topics, not just from your last visit.

This alone makes SMF the most likely option, but there seem to be a metric assload of other cool features:

http://www.simplemachines.org/smf/features.php

I've downloaded it and will be trying it out a little on a test forum this weekend.  

Hopefully the upgrade will be smooth.  I may close this board down a little at some point to switch over and run the converter.

At the same time, I'll also be moving the URL of this forum.  Stay tuned.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 02:19:34 pm »

Cool. I was considering opening a very small forum on my site and I can install either an out of date version of phpBB or Simple Machines. This helped me make my decision as well.

So nobody feels left out, my forum is only for people I know IRL. We had lost touch for like 8 years and need a way to stop that in the future.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 05:24:44 pm »

Quote from: "Simple Machines"

Forum Settings:
Ability to display page creation time and query count per page.
Put a board into maintenance mode, allowing only admins to login.
Word censoring, either full word or partial.
Ability to break up long words


Why would you need to break up long words?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 06:27:54 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Simple Machines"

Forum Settings:
Ability to display page creation time and query count per page.
Put a board into maintenance mode, allowing only admins to login.
Word censoring, either full word or partial.
Ability to break up long words

Why would you need to break up long words?

Because software considers links such as "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/909656/ref=stuffandsubnav_td1_/002-1532930-1389643" to be one word. But they can be so long that it makes the board scroll horizontally which is annoying.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 06:51:43 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
The problem I have with the read feature is when you pop on for five minutes and discover a shit ton of messages that you don't have time to read at that moment.


This isn't a software problem it's a human problem. What is it with you guys that no one will post for hours when I'm bored, and when I can't get to a computer all day, everyone has gone hog wild?

But yeah, if we could solve it with software that would be nice.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
New Board Software
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 07:22:05 pm »

Awesome. Simple Machines is a good board setup; I'll be looking forward to the test board.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 09:47:11 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Simple Machines"

Forum Settings:
Ability to display page creation time and query count per page.
Put a board into maintenance mode, allowing only admins to login.
Word censoring, either full word or partial.
Ability to break up long words


Why would you need to break up long words?


because sometimes, generally but not always when they are young,
words will try to stay together even if it's not in their individual nor
mutual best interests to do so.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 10:52:16 pm »

Does that make the link not work?

Also, don't most boards allow you to insert a hyperlink as (much shorter)text?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New Board Software
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 11:16:40 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Does that make the link not work?

Also, don't most boards allow you to insert a hyperlink as (much shorter)text?

In my experience if a link is split by the board then it's still clickable. And yes they allow that, and there's always tiA-CAPrl for all your long-ass link needs but people post long-ass links all the time anyway.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up