Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: When did it become Xmas on the logo?  (Read 7131 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 09:08:06 pm »

Wait a minute.. MO?  Jeezus...

Is there any way we can transport STL over the state line so I could NOT be in a state where I'm on that list.  At least then I'd get to hang out with Chicago.. I heard she's pretty cool (and she puts out!)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 09:17:58 pm »

As the only official Jeopardy champion on the board, I have to admit that I did not know the state sport of Maryland was jousting.  Does everybody in Md. have "RENFAIRE" on their license plate?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 09:33:55 pm »

I'm a Christmas loving Athiest.  Merriness and Hugs to all!  

Seriously though, no matter what your spiritual base, it's emotionally healthy (and just plain fun) to set some time aside to celebrate the good things and spend time with family (be it a 'blood family' or a 'chosen family' like mine).  I did have a Jewish coworker look at me a little funny a couple months ago when I wished her a Happy New Year for Rosh Hashanah, then she got all excited, and was all "You're Jewish!  I didn't know that!"  I had to explain to her that I'm not Jewish, but that marking passages and building community by gathering together are very important to me too, and then we talked a bit about what she would be doing to celebrate.  I don't tend to tell most people that I'm an Athiest, because a lot of times people then assume that I'm judging them and their spiritual path, when indeed I'm not.  Actually apart from my SO and some former coworkers at a heavy-drinking office retreat thing, you're the only folks who know this about me.  Basically I realize that unless you're a total moron, that once you've reached adulthood that you've put some thought into your life path, and the big questions.  I'm always for people getting together to celebrate.  And fuck*ng.  Vote for the Party party.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 10:53:18 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Ark, when did you switch to the all-beat-poetry format, anyway? Not that it isn't awesome and all, but I'm just curious.


uh, 1996 i think.

college was, um, interesting.

my memory's, uh, not what it used to be.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 10:55:19 pm »

Yeah christmas does indeed rock, I have major love for my catholic christmas masses.

The fuck christmas thing, we get shit like this from somewhere every year an my grandmother always goes on about it. A couple of assholes complaining != plot by teh EVAL FOREIGNERS!

I want to go back and live permanently in the mid nineties when no one gave a shit about religion or politics (or at least I didn't which is good enough for me).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 11:01:00 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
You forgot Hanukkah, Wombat.



Why aren't both answers right?


They are, but there are THREE questions.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 11:55:44 pm »

Creeeeepy Christmas moment at work.
A woman told me that Christians were "under-represented" on the Upper West Side because we were all sold out of advent calenders; I sort of Phil Ken Sebben laughed because I didn't get the joke, but it HAD to be a joke, right? Nobody's just going to out and say "THE UPPER WEST SIDE IS FILLED WITH HEATHENS AND I DON'T LIKE IT!", are they? Then I tell her, okay, let me check our other stores- which of the following calenders do you want: Waiting for Santa, The Whistle Stop Christmas or Kittens in Mittens (the ones that we had had in stock)? She gasps, LITERALLY gasps, and say, "Well, we wanted a religious advent calender. I guess we'll take our business elsewhere."
Ergh. I understand that she would be displeased that we don't have religious advent calenders, but she just made it really creepy with the first statement.
"Sorry, we don't carry Advent calenders; We're proud members of the International Jewish Conspiracy. Would you like a pamphlet?"
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 12:18:29 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
You forgot Hanukkah, Wombat.



Why aren't both answers right?


They are, but there are THREE questions.


Oh, I meant both answers to the third question.  If I did forget Hanukkah (and I'm not sayin'), Christmas is also correct.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 12:18:53 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Creeeeepy Christmas moment at work.
A woman told me that Christians were "under-represented" on the Upper West Side because we were all sold out of advent calenders; I sort of Phil Ken Sebben laughed because I didn't get the joke, but it HAD to be a joke, right? Nobody's just going to out and say "THE UPPER WEST SIDE IS FILLED WITH HEATHENS AND I DON'T LIKE IT!", are they? Then I tell her, okay, let me check our other stores- which of the following calenders do you want: Waiting for Santa, The Whistle Stop Christmas or Kittens in Mittens (the ones that we had had in stock)? She gasps, LITERALLY gasps, and say, "Well, we wanted a religious advent calender. I guess we'll take our business elsewhere."
Ergh. I understand that she would be displeased that we don't have religious advent calenders, but she just made it really creepy with the first statement.
"Sorry, we don't carry Advent calenders; We're proud members of the International Jewish Conspiracy. Would you like a pamphlet?"


Even I laugh at people like that. It's nothing to do with her being any kind of Christian (and especially a poor 'underrepresented' one) and everything to do with having a need to find that factor in EVERYTHING that indicates she is a victim.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 12:34:16 am »

Hang on a minute, if you were sold out of all the Advent calendars, doesn't that mean there are tons of those Christians around who already bought them up?  I don't get the complaint even on the complainer's own terms.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 12:52:54 am »

Yeah, I'm a little confused too. Wouldn't "sold out" imply that they had already been sold to happy believers, as opposed to never being in stock because of the Jewish Conspiracy?

That said, I now want a Kittens in Mittens advent calendar. It sounds delightful.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 01:00:57 am »

What if they <never> actually stocked them? That's just the kind of thing these bastard secular liberal bookstores would do, you know. Keep them on the stock list but don't take precious space away from Santa and Al Franken to show the REAL Christmas.

Fuckers.



If this lady was THAT big a Christian looking for the Christ Child in cardstock with little bitty doors, she might have thought of looking in a Christian Bookstore. I'm just saying is all.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 01:03:13 am »

I bet that lady's name was Pat.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 02:19:33 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
As the only official Jeopardy champion on the board, I have to admit that I did not know the state sport of Maryland was jousting.  Does everybody in Md. have "RENFAIRE" on their license plate?

Well MD does have the 2nd largest* Ren Fest in the country. So almost.

Post-game update: They finally conceeded on my Kislev question as othewise our "holiday" category only had Christmas questions. Nobody got it right. Or my two questions in the slogans category: Hungry? Why Wait? and If You Don't Get It, You Don't Get It.

Only one out of four got my Final Jeopardy Question right. The category was 19th Century British Serialized Fiction.

Place your wagers.
.
.
.
The question: how many ghosts visited Scrooge in A Christmas Carol?

They said 3. Which admittedly was my intent.

*in acres, not attendance.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
When did it become Xmas on the logo?
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 02:37:24 am »

mann.

if I hear one person rant about "political correct"-ness, I will begin believing in gun ownership. Seriously. People say they're "anti-pc", but what they mean is "I am going to say whatever rude things I want, and you can't be upset by them." I'm sick of it.

My favorite comment has been this. A girl called in to the radio station, and said the following: "what really gets me bent out of shape is this. I tell someone "happy holidays", and they get mad at me. I'm telling them that I hope they have a good holiday season, and they're offended. "

But
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up