Dear Mr.theinevitable - Oh, I know ever so much about this particular area of interst, due to my many years working in a comic book shop.
1) You can't be a pretentious comic autour without having read "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. It's a comic book that is a textbook about comic books. It's brilliant. Read it. Also, if you liked Maus, I'm pretty sure that McCloud references it in the book. Also, if you liked Maus, the creator Art Spiegelman's made lots of other books that are worth checking out. I remember one biographical book he did about 5 years ago that I really liked.
When it comes to actual comic books, I most deeply appreciate "world building" - where there are unique parameters of what can, or can not happen in the world of the comic. These are my two favorites for that:
2) If you like Achewood, you will probably like Sock Monkey by Tony Millionaire. His comic books are about an alive stuffed Sock Monkey, a stuffed toy Crow, a family of Dolls and their interactions with small creatures within a Victorian-style Mansion. The children who own these toys are sometimes involved. Check out Millionaire's site:
www.maakies.com. This is a front for his regularly posted mini-strips, the Maakies, which are also available in book form, but started out at intricate mini's at the bottom of the full-length Sock Monkey strips. The site gives you info on all the full length Sock Monkey books and links to where you can buy them.
3) James Kochalka: is the god of underground comics. He makes a daily diary strip about his life:
www.americanelf.com which you can read online, but really the diary strips have there deepest impact when read in collection, and the site links to places to purchase. Don't let the simplicity of reading a one shot of his diary fool you, when you read the strips together in book form you'll see the subtle way he celebrates the beauty, mystery and intricacy of day to day life.
Other than that, if you like long-form books, I really liked:
4) Chester Brown's Louis Riel - it's near and dear to me because it's about my ancestral history, but I do recommend it, and though it came out in smaller individual books I'd recommend the full-length hard cover, as the story is pretty easy to tear through.
Or if you prefer one off thingies, I love:
5) Evan Dorkin - you can read any of his stuff and it is just wonderful. Milk and Cheese? Check. Dork? Check. There's a great collection of Dork that is really worth picking up. If you like sarcastic literary references and Devil hand puppets, this is for you. giraffeer Price Theatre - where the giraffeer Price weebles enact well know books like Generation X and Of Mice and Men, etc. is hilarious.