Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!  (Read 26921 times)

Lister

• Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: I demand a bio-pic for Freddy Mercury!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 10:08:47 pm »

Queen is one of the few bands that deserves to have "best of" albums.

This is the highest praise I can give to a band.

Seriously, I haven't ever found a song of theirs I don't like, and some are just fuck*ng genius.  Even the theme from Flash Gordon* is a shade of awesome.  Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens is pushed from awesome to awesomer by the Queen references.

Queen music is raw emotion in audio form.  It enters your hindbrain and goes straight to your low-level nervous system, where you dance like Freddy Mercury's puppet.

* FLASH!  AAAAAaaaaaaaaa!
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 770
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 11:25:12 pm »

How could anyone think Queen isn't cool?

Way to leave us hanging though, sideshow. If you want a biopic, who would you want to play him? I can't really think of anyone who would do him justice.

I would say Tim Curry, but he's getting pretty old and stout.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

• Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 11:25:32 pm »

Will Ferrell.

Does Queen have any songs that feature cowbell? Cause Will Ferrell can play the SHIT out of the cowbell.

John Leguizamo came to mind for me for some reason. He's pretty...um...fluid.

Bozack

• Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 11:36:44 pm »

I am such a fan of Queen I abandoned my Batman, although I might bring him back.
If someone can listen to "Killer Queen" and not start dancing, they are either legally dead, Hitler, or legally dead Hitler.
Hey, things are going okay now!

robot_roll_call

• Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 11:45:29 pm »

* FLASH!  AAAAAaaaaaaaaa!

KING OF THE IMPOSSIBLE!
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

side_show

• Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 12:34:40 am »

How could anyone think Queen isn't cool?

Way to leave us hanging though, sideshow. If you want a biopic, who would you want to play him? I can't really think of anyone who would do him justice.

Oh, yeah, well I actually think Scott Weiland (formerly of the Stone Temple Pilots and now of Velvet Revolver) might actually be an interesting choice - he's got that femmy-but-hot thing going for him - but who knows if the boy could act himself out of a paper bag?

Also, Paul, please tell us your story!  I'm tingly with an-ti-ci-pa-tion, and I will give you three tiny cans of Dr. Pepper for the privilege.

Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

• Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 606
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 04:01:07 am »

Also, Paul, please tell us your story!  I'm tingly with an-ti-ci-pa-tion, and I will give you three tiny cans of Dr. Pepper for the privilege.
Ok, I'll do it for the tiny cans of Dr. Pepper*.

First I need some music.  Jazz, yeah that's the one.

Ok, as we all know Freddy Mercury had AIDS and the general public (aka Me) was unaware of this until only a few days before his death and even then we didn't know how sick he was.  The night he died I dreamed about him.  We're all familiar with the strange nature of dreams, in this one I was Freddy Mercury's son.  And he was basically showing me around and telling me everything that I needed to know to carry on after he was gone.  We were backstage at a concert and we were in the studio, all the while he was pointing out little things.  I can't remember a single specific thing he said, but I remember it as being fatherly advice.  It was one of those dreams that makes you feel like a million dollars when you awake.  Just enveloped in a total warm glow.  I was still listening to the rock and roll radio station then (they weren't calling it classic rock yet) and so shortly after being awoken by the clock radio I was informed that he had died.  Talk about going from euphoria to depression in record time.

In the unrelated or is it department.  I held out against Cd's for a long time. Finally my record player quit.   This was several months before Freddy's passing.   Records were already hard to come by at that point so I switched.  My player had died right in the middle of a song and I just left it, needle sitting in the groove, right where it stopped.  It sat there for months.  I finally went to put the record away and pack up the player as I was moving.  This was now some time after Freddy's passing.  I noticed what record it was and remembered that it was Queen Jazz that was playing the day my record player died.  The song?  You guessed it, Dead on Time. Spooky huh?  Realizing that attaching spiritual significance to these events puts me in the same category as people who flock to see the visage of the Virgin Mary on a corn chip or cracked window pane or whatever, but I do attach spiritual significance to these events.  So there you have it, that's my Freddy Mercury story.

~Paul

*That's a lie, I'm doing it because I have an internet crush on Side Show.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 04:41:37 am »

Realizing that attaching spiritual significance to these events puts me in the same category as people who flock to see the visage of the Virgin Mary on a corn chip or cracked window pane or whatever, but I do attach spiritual significance to these events.  So there you have it, that's my Freddy Mercury story.

~Paul

Wow, that's... sinister, to say the least. I'm not sure I would assign it spiritual significance, but I would at least be creeped out.

Eerie!

Doc

• Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 12:29:29 pm »

Queen did the Flash Gordon theme? Damn and I was watching that (Hilariously bad) movie the other day too. But now I hum it back to myself of course it was them.

Re: Biopics. I've got this horrible feeling that if it ever was made it would end up starring Johnny Depp. Not that I don't have much love for the Deppman, but I don't think he'd be quite right.

I really wish I had an awesome Queen related story, Paul you being the one to carry on Freddy Mecury's flame just seems Right somehow, just go on existing as a mix of danger and sexiness.
Actually I just remembered a (pretty crap) Queen story: a couple of years ago when I finished highschool the senior year went on a camp that (for whatever ungodly reason) ended up involving karaoke, some friends and I decided that Bohemian Rhapsody had to be sung, and despite our desperately poor rendition(about 7 guys trying to sing it at once choosing parts at random) such is the power of Queen that it was the only song all night that got everyone dancing (well moshing, it was a small room) which, when you consider everyone consisted of about two hundred 17 year old males, caused the teachers some concern.
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 636
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 03:12:49 pm »

Well now I have an urge to go take the Christmas music off and put on some Queen.  Also I just had to go add some Queen to my Amazon wish list.  And since I'm the only one who ever buys me that stuff, you guys are costing me real money now.

My lamer Queen related story is that I bought A Night at the Opera when it came out and years later when my mom moved to Florida and made us take all our stuff out of her house, I couldn't find it.  It turned out later that my sister had taken it - because it was a first edition or whatever you call that when it's a record. and she didn't think I was a big enough fan to deserve owning such a thing.  Which I wasn't, I guess, since I was perfectly happy to go out and buy a CD of the same recording.

My best guitar-playing friend and I used to play and sing the song '49 from that album all the time.  You know, that science fiction song.  It has really good harmony.  Does anyone else know that song exists?
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1312
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 03:34:51 pm »

We're all familiar with the strange nature of dreams, in this one I was Freddy Mercury's son.  And he was basically showing me around and telling me everything that I needed to know to carry on after he was gone.

Please tell me you won't be putting on one of these as a result.
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bozack

• Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 08:45:06 pm »

Please tell me you won't be putting on one of these as a result.

And if I know Paul, there are GONNA be pictures!
Hey, things are going okay now!

side_show

• Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 04:51:23 am »

Oh yes, Bozack, your new avatar was the reason why I posted this thread to begin with - I forgot to mention that in the original post. 

Paul, I have given you two tiny cans thus far - I apparently can only give out one can per hour, so the final can will be awarded the next time I'm on-line.  But thank you for the story.

Carlos, thank you for reminding us that the Lycra unitard, cut to expose the chest, is probably the most embarrassing clothing item ever invented.  When else is how and where you position your unit such a fashion-related-quandary?  When else do pro-wrestlers and rockers shop at the same store?

jough

• God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 145
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 04:53:57 am »

Next on my board-fixing-up list: remove the marquee.

side_show

• Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2005, 05:03:11 am »

Yeah, that is bullshit, I thought it would just be there in the text scrolling, not given it's own dedicated line.  It looks so terrible, but I'll leave it as is as a sort of cautionary tale for the children.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up