I know of people like Pat, or at least are share the same holier-than-thou veganism and such. There was a little alternative vegan co-op grocery type deal once I went into a few times because they had a few items not stocked by the local bigger health food stores of the HealthFoodCoCorp type and I was in a alt-diet phase then. It was run by a cheerful but clueless lady who dressed in long drindal skirts and wore lots of "authentic" Native American jewelry, and her staff consisted of surly nose-ringed [local crappy alt-scene band] T-shirt sporting types and stuffy, prissy Pat types. The sort of people who practically have strokes if a customer mispronounces a tounge-twisting product name by one lousy vowel and feel the need to vehmently correct them.
The whole thing reminded me of comic shops or indie bookstores run by people who are really into comics or books but have little business sense. And like "we'll get by because we may not be SUITS with NO SOULS but we are pure of heart" bookstores and comic shops and little niche record shops I have known, in between the poor organization, the constant bickering and bad, money draining business choices on the part of the owners, the thing fell through in less than a year.