I've listened to a bit of
Architecture in Helsinki, and it's too loud and intrusive for my taste (I'm an Ambient Slut).
Sigur Rós is truly excellent, but I haven't listened to much of "Takk". My favourite album of theirs is "( )".
I cannot say enough good things about
The Decemberists. Colin Meloy (lead singer) was a creative writing major in college, and it shows. The lyrics are witty and leave you longing for the days of yore, when real men harpooned whales to make ends meet.
I got the same impression from
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah that I got from Architecture in Helsinki -- too directionless, too noisy.
Stars make some of the best indie pop out there, and "Set Yourself on Fire" is the pinnacle of their musical achievements.
Sufjan Stevens creates very enjoyable soft and pretty music. "To Be Alone with You" is a great song.
Broken Social Scene is hell of awesome. I haven't had the chance to listen to their self-titled release, but both "You Forget It in People" and "Feel Good Lost" are incredible. If you haven't heard the song "Anthems for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl," you should remedy that
post haste.
And here are a few of my recommendations:
1.)
Mogwai (Favourite band of Jeph Jacques of
http://www.questionablecontent.net.)
2.)
Denali (A band from my hometown of Richmond, VA that broke up some time ago, Denali nevertheless continues to be my third-favourite band of all time.)
3.)
Boards of Canada (Creepy electronic noises from remote Scotland.)
4.)
Forget Cassettes (They broke up for a while, but they're back in the studio!)
5.)
Hammock (Good luck finding their music, very few people have heard of them.)
6.)
Iron & Wine (Don't let Sam Beam's cover of that song by The Postal Service fool you, he's a powerful musician of his own right.)
7.)
Múm (From Iceland, like Sigur Rós.)
8.)
Portishead9.)
Neutral Milk Hotel (An acquired taste, but very good.)
10.)
The Album Leaf11.)
The Arcade Fire12.)
RJD2 (Is it hip-hop? Is it rap? Even if it is, it must be good for an indie kid like me to so thoroughly enjoy it!)
If anyone is interested in obtaining music by any of the above-mentioned artists (including those listed by John Allison), feel free to IM me, and I'll send 'em your way.