Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I really do fear music  (Read 27803 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 12:05:33 am »

eMusic had Anniemal on their Top 50 of '05 list. I listened to the samples but didn't think it was quite my thing. Actually this afternoon I listened to samples of the 15 albums that sounded the most interesting and didn't end up DL'ing a single one (although I already owned 5 from the list, IIRC).

I really liked The Best Party Ever from The Boy Least Likely To as it's another one of those that I can't be sad while listening to. I especially like the lyrics of I See Spiders When I Close My Eyes
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 12:11:07 am »

pandora.com

Oh, now this is fascinating, and perfect for the lazy - er, busy person.  It doesn't just list what you might like, which you then have to go out and look for.  It actually goes ahead and plays it.  Wow.  Now this is the future.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 12:23:27 am »

last.fm has a similar system. It bases "similar artist" on what people actually listen to as opposed to genres. But you have to DL their proprietary player to listen. But there is an "I can't install software on this PC" version for workplace listening.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 12:30:12 am »

I would also recommend last.fm.  My page: http://www.last.fm/user/phoenixfirefly.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 01:11:45 am »

The interesting thing about this Pandora thing is that it bases its recommendation on its analysis of properties of the music.  Like "mild syncopation" and "mixed acoustic and electric instrumentation."   What I'm finding a little frustrating is that I want to get in and hack the properties instead of having it guess at them.  It's giving me a case of mild syncopation.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 01:44:08 am »

Broken Social Scene is hell of awesome.  I haven't had the chance to listen to their self-titled release, but both "You Forget It in People" and "Feel Good Lost" are incredible.  If you haven't heard the song "Anthems for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl," you should remedy that post haste.

You could add that they are really cool and totally nice people.

These are almost Crimes...


Cause = Time = AWESOME

Death Cock

~Paul





« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 01:51:55 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2006, 12:37:08 pm »

To AD and everybody else who's trying to stumble upon new great music. I will post the secret for achieving just that (and I'm gonna do it here and now, and if you don't do it, then you're just a bitchy-bitch bitch man:

1. make yourself a profile at http://last.fm (theirs is the best content I've ever seen online, in quantity - they seem to have EVERYBODY there - to quality) ;

2. enter the name of one band you dig;

3. fire up their radio player in the "SIMILAR ARTISTS" station and LISTEN.

You can block bands that suck, and mark as favorites the ones you happen to love. Great clean way to get acquainted with new dudes who rock. Meself, I came to know and love The Walkmen, Ratatat, Boards of Canada, Tom Lehrer, amongst others, via their service.










not that last.fm had not been mentioned here already. but.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 12:44:06 pm by yu-huang »
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2006, 07:24:24 pm »

Meself, I came to know and love...Boards of Canada...via their service.

That deserves a tiny can of Dr. Pepper.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 08:53:21 pm »

That pandora thing is really nifty.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 10:15:05 pm »

I don't have pictures, but I saw them at Coachella in 2004, and they rocked out with their cocks out.  One of the dudes proposed to his girl on stage, which was sweet.  Oh, and 'Anthems' absolutely kills, live.  'Stars and Sons' too.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:50:44 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2006, 11:03:39 pm »

Jealousy!  How do they sound in person?
Best Concert of '04.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2006, 11:04:29 pm »

Oh, now this is fascinating, and perfect for the lazy - er, busy person.  It doesn't just list what you might like, which you then have to go out and look for.  It actually goes ahead and plays it.  Wow.  Now this is the future.

I just mentioned my approval, but I'm really digging it.  I think I'll have to try this Last.fm business now (but signup's currently disabled).

I'm having one of those "the internet is so cool" moments right now.

Except it played a Billy Joel song for me.  Billy Joel, people.  Billy. Joel.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006, 11:27:15 pm »


Except it played a Billy Joel song for me.  Billy Joel, people.  Billy. Joel.

There was something they played for me that I was appalled at... but now it's been knocked right out of my memory by this. 

I had a little trouble with the restriction on how many songs you can skip per hour - I found out I'd reached my limit when I tried to skip a live Grateful Dead track, which of course went on for another two or three hours, I swear.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 11:45:57 pm »

Gaah. Last.fm has none of this ban-per-hour limit nonsense. I just ban ban ban the day away (extracting immoderate pleasure from blocking those tasteless tunes from Pavement, Weezer etc).
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up