Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I really do fear music  (Read 27718 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2006, 01:34:07 am »

Cripes. Even I have a cd by this guy. He's not bad. Jingy is the track that got me (about a monkey... named Jingy...).

To be fair, it's not really about a monkey, the monkey is a metaphor.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2006, 01:49:30 am »

To be fair, it's not really about a monkey, the monkey is a metaphor.

This reminds me of an incident when I was in fifth grade. My teacher was very into music as part of the classroom experience, and at one point we dabbled in music interpretation; the most notable case of this was the time he played a folk song for us about, apparently, a gorilla. At least, that was my conclusion, based primarily on the first line of the song, which was "Ug was a Lowland gorilla." However, I distinctly recall my classmates having all sorts of interpretations, particularly that he was a slave during the Civil War (!). Maybe they were right all along; maybe the gorilla was a metaphor... or maybe the phrase "the (gorilla/ape/monkey) is a metaphor" is just too good.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2006, 01:51:57 am »

You may have heard The Old Apartment, One Week, and/or If I Had $1,000,000.

I listened to some clips but I seem to be familiar with none of it.  Also I realized I had them mixed up with the band that did the Kids in the Hall theme song.  Really, I swear, it's not that all Canadian bands look alike...  I'm not sure where I got this vague idea that I ought to like them, unless it is some relic of my brief period in Toronto.

Anyway, I wish I could find some whole songs online, but I'm afraid to Google their name.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2006, 01:52:45 am »

To be fair, it's not really about a monkey, the monkey is a metaphor.

~Paul

The monkey represents sharing.

I know, wrong comic.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2006, 02:07:45 am »

The monkey represents sharing.

I know, wrong comic.

And haven't you always wanted a monkey?*

*If you ever find If I Had $1,000,000 then this will be hilarious**. Otherwise just move along.

**By which I mean in you're head you'll go, "I get this reference" but you won't actually laugh or smile or anything.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2006, 02:21:04 am »

If you see Barenaked Ladies live, you will love them forever.  They have too much fun on stage.  For this reason I find Rock Spectacle, their live CD, to be the most approachable.  I also liked Gordon and Stunt.  I am making declarations.

Exclamation!
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2006, 02:47:47 am »

If you see Barenaked Ladies live, you will love them forever.  They have too much fun on stage.

This is true. I got to hear (Theme From) The Canadian Election one time and once at MCI they brought a security guard up on stage and got him to play guitar while they sang a song about him.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2006, 03:57:06 pm »

Oh, also I was thinking that maybe I ought to like the Barenaked Ladies.  Any thoughts?

If you are born in Canada you are issued a copy of "Gordon" with your health card.  "Gordon" is their best album, and "Maybe You Should Drive" was also alright.  I remember being at my first day in grade nine, which is the first year of high school here in Manitoba (and most Cndn provinces) and just hearing the track "This is me in Grade 9" running through my head all day.  Also, "Alternative Girlfriend" has a warm place in my heart, because it basically described me in my late teens.

I don't really care for any of their new stuff.  Maroon and Stunt, which was their cross-over to the American market hit, were received only half heartedly here in their home and native land.  There was the common backlash that always happens with Canadian bands that succeed in the US, but really, I just thought it sucked.  Also, they reshuffled the band at that point and changed from chubby lead singer Steven Page to skinnier Ed Robertson, which just seems like such an intentional Imaging thing.  I like Page's vocals much better, so went Robertson moved from back up to lead vocals... meh.

Basically, when I think of BNL, I think that they're a band that was good 10 or more years ago that has become significantly watered down. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2006, 04:03:30 pm »

And haven't you always wanted a monkey?*

*If you ever find If I Had $1,000,000 then this will be hilarious**. Otherwise just move along.

**By which I mean in you're head you'll go, "I get this reference" but you won't actually laugh or smile or anything.

Oh, Cort...

Have you ever heard a song from before Gordon, "You can be my Yoko Ono?"  If so, listen to the Dar Williams song "I won't be your Yoko Ono."

Also, I've always loved their song "Brian Wilson" and especially tie it to my days living on my own and wandering the streets alone, ending up in "a late night rechord shop."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2006, 05:02:33 pm »

If you are born in Canada you are issued a copy of "Gordon" with your health card. 

Basically, when I think of BNL, I think that they're a band that was good 10 or more years ago that has become significantly watered down. 

Dang, I did have a health card briefly, but I guess it doesn't come with the album unless you get it at birth.

The one really disturbing thing about this music research is looking at the information about recordings that I've never heard of and noticing that they were made ten years ago - like, I'm not just out of it, I have been out of it for years.  Also, noticing that 1996 is ten years ago now, so that I am also really old.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 06:04:23 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2006, 05:17:46 pm »

It's okay Wombat - you can get into an artist at any time.  Do you think that someone is waaaay behind the times if they totally got into Beethovan this year, when it was soooo 1799?  No.  I don't know who you think is secretly watching and "tsk, tsk" judging you as some sort of anti-cool person, but look at all your tiny Dr. Peppers.  I don't think folks who like new BNL are behind the curve - I just think that if you were to get into BNL it should be for their good quality stuff, not their new watered down stuff. 

We love you and do not think you are a loser.  You don't need to be ahead of any curve - listen for pleasure, and we will not mock you for liking what you like.  Unless it's John Tesh.

As for the best of last year, I listened to Damien Rice's "O" compulsively.

Also, is anybody else digging Amos Lee?  I really dig him too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2006, 05:20:51 pm »

I don't really care for any of their new stuff.  Maroon and Stunt, which was their cross-over to the American market hit, were received only half heartedly here in their home and native land.  There was the common backlash that always happens with Canadian bands that succeed in the US, but really, I just thought it sucked.  Also, they reshuffled the band at that point and changed from chubby lead singer Steven Page to skinnier Ed Robertson, which just seems like such an intentional Imaging thing.  I like Page's vocals much better, so went Robertson moved from back up to lead vocals... meh.

Basically, when I think of BNL, I think that they're a band that was good 10 or more years ago that has become significantly watered down. 

I just don't dig on songs like Conventioneers or Hidden Sun. BNL is supposed to be funny. I don't need a whole album of "When I Fall." But to be fair the band was against Pinch Me as the 1st single from Maroon because is sounded too much like One Week. Which of course is exactly why the label chose it as the 1st single to begin with.

And now in my head I'm singing "it'll still be one week till we say wasabi"

And don't feel bad Wombat, there's some bands that I'm just finding out about that were apparently releasing stuff in the 70's.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2006, 05:33:41 pm »

And don't feel bad Wombat, there's some bands that I'm just finding out about that were apparently releasing stuff in the 70's.

D00D you've got to check out the Bee Gees!  RAWK!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2006, 06:02:31 pm »

I don't know who you think is secretly watching and "tsk, tsk" judging you as some sort of anti-cool person

I fear a world full of record store clerks who you are afraid to ask about the album you are looking for because they will laugh at you... But see, that's just because I am old.  You don't have to go to those stores anymore because you can buy things online.

But still, where have I been.  The world is full of excellent things, and artists who need my money, and I have been neglecting them. I resolve to do better.

(And shh, don't mention the Dr Peppers, you might scare them away....)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2006, 06:45:30 pm »

And then but so let me recommend Mia Doi Todd, whose voice is like "what if Heaven was made out of fudge?" Beautiful tunes in that neofolk tradition (but no armpit hair, she's more modern, there are, you know, little bits of innovation and studio trickery here and there). In the same vein, Lisa Germano. Well, if you're into female voices, then you can just go all the way and get some Julie Doiron as well, although her stuff is more raw.
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up