Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I really do fear music  (Read 27783 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2006, 07:15:36 pm »

the common backlash that always happens with Canadian bands that succeed in the US

Is this happening to Broken Social Scene? Because that would be a shame.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2006, 10:21:59 pm »

Is this happening to Broken Social Scene? Because that would be a shame.

or Arcade Fire!

...really, I think they're safe.... for now....

I listen to a lot of Canadian bands, but most are still underground enough to not worry.

---

As for The Barenaked Ladies... I know of 'One Week' and 'Pinch' -- also, I once had a live version of them doing a Wham! cover 'Careless Whisper', but it's on the dying pc.. I think I just liked 'One Week' 'cause Sailor Moon was mentioned and well, I was in a huge Sailor Moon phase back then.. should I be ashamed of my former self?  hah.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2006, 11:39:59 pm »

And don't feel bad Wombat, there's some bands that I'm just finding out about that were apparently releasing stuff in the 70's.

I've just now gotten around to seriously listening to the Kinks.  Thanks AllofMP3!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2006, 04:18:06 am »

Also, I've always loved their song "Bhran Wilson"

Funny thing, I heard this song for the first time New Years eve.  Actually it was new years morning at about 4-5 ish, damn I partied all night long.  Anyway I heard this song and it made me think I wish I was listening to Brian Wilson instead of this crap.  But I really wasn't listening to it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2006, 06:09:27 am »

Second the Lisa Germano recommendation.  Well, 'Geek the Girl,' anyway.  Also, 'OP8', an album she recorded with Howe Gelb (Giant Sand), Joey Burns and John Covertino (Calexico).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2006, 06:55:02 am »

Paul,

What the hell, when I look back at my original post, I didn't spell Brian wrong, but when you quote me it comes up "Bhran." 

I must admit, I'd be interested in hearing the music of Bhran Wilson.  I think him and Sandeep Smith made a record together in the late 60's didn't they?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2006, 07:14:00 am »

Is this happening to Broken Social Scene? Because that would be a shame.

Well, I guess it never happened to Neil Young.

Oh, and Womabt, I'm not sure if you are still wondering, but I googled for the name of the band that did the KITH theme song, because it was driving me crazy, and this it it:  Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet.

I think I will watch the Terrier song from my shiny and new Season 3 DVD set now.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2006, 07:33:07 am »

Studies say they prolong old people's lives.
And no one wants to die,
Like this guy died.
Die! Die! Die! Die!
Worms in your... eye!

Also, hell yes the backlash happed to Neil Young.  Way long ago.  He once swore he'd never come back to perform Winnipeg after my fair Provence shunned him after he moved to the states, and it looked like he was going to finally let it go when he agreed to perform in Winnipeg at the Juno's (Canadian Music Awards) last year here, and then what happened?  Two days before the Juno's he up and had his brain problems, and well, there were a lot of people who paid scary amounts of money and ended up seeing Avril Lavigne mumble through an acceptance speech instead of hearing Neil Young sing.  You can imagine the sentiment.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2006, 01:13:32 pm »

Paul,

What the hell, when I look back at my original post, I didn't spell Brian wrong, but when you quote me it comes up "Bhran." 

I must admit, I'd be interested in hearing the music of Bhran Wilson.  I think him and Sandeep Smith made a record together in the late 60's didn't they?

It's this new keyboard, it just jumps around and does weird stuff.  I must have changed your original quote inadvertantly.

I don't know Sandeep Smith, but in the late 60's BW was mostly just sitting in his room bring crazy and planning his comeback in 2001.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2006, 02:04:56 pm »

but in the late 60's BW was mostly just sitting in his room bring crazy and planning his comeback in 2001.

~Paul

I love you, man.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2006, 02:12:43 pm »


I think I will watch the Terrier song from my shiny and new Season 3 DVD set now.

That is such a good song.

Those Shadowy Men sound nothing like Barenaked Ladies, right?  I don't know how I mixed them up.  I am sorry, Canadia.  But they are both really great band names.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2006, 02:53:05 pm »

It's this new keyboard, it just jumps around and does weird stuff.  I must have changed your original quote inadvertently.

I don't know Sandeep Smith, but in the late 60's BW was mostly just sitting in his room bring crazy and planning his comeback in 2001.

~Paul

Paul, I made up the name Sandeep Smith, because I thought it sounded like the sort of guy who would hang with someone named Bhran Wilson.  That's what I did Paul.  Everyone here just assumes there is some loop that they're out of, eh?  I'm gonna start making up random band names that sound cool.  Infact I used to do this in high school all the time.  My best friend and I made up our own band called the Sugar Babes, and we had our own logo and stuff, only we didn't have any musical training.  We took guitar lessons together and realized that things were going to be a lot more complicated than we expected.

Anyway, some cool made up band names off the top of my head:

Total Renal Failure / The Total Renal Failures / The Total Renal Fail Experience
Flange
The Big Titted Mamas
The Bacon Band / The Great Canadian Bacon Band
The Gag Reflex ( I kind of assume there already a band out there with this name, but I'm afraid to search it at work)

Feel Free to use these names, as long as you thank me in your liner notes.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:02:24 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2006, 03:03:30 pm »

Just a note to say I'd totally go see "The Big Titted Mamas", even if they turned out to be a bunch of bloated, gross, and hirsuite men.   Because if you can roll with that name, then it's gotta either be really good or absolutely awful. 

Both of which have entertainment value.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 04:14:16 pm by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2006, 04:11:28 pm »

Thank you.

Indeed I would go see the "Big Titted Mamas" in concert too, hence why their name made the list.

There are other bands with names that are sort of close, like the Bare Naked Ladies, and also the Cherry Popping Daddies, but something about that name, it just pleases me.  I would be in a band of that name.  Even if I were the only girl.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2006, 04:19:32 pm »

That is such a good song.

Those Shadowy Men sound nothing like Barenaked Ladies, right?  I don't know how I mixed them up.  I am sorry, Canadia.  But they are both really great band names.

I think my favorite line is:  Napoleon had one to prevent misery.

I don't think so.  They are kind of surfy, I guess, at least from what I've heard from them on KITH.  But, you know, only three songs by the Barenaked Ladies come to mind:  One Week, (is it called) Pinch Me (?), and then I swear I heard them do a cover of Fight the Power, like, years ago.  So I guess I'm not really an authority on what either band sounds like.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up