Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I really do fear music  (Read 27838 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2006, 04:20:34 pm »

Yes, some friends and I had a band in which we didn't play any instruments.  Imagine, I dunno, Stomp with less talent.

It became a running gag to say we were "in a band" and then have to come up with something completely offensive or off-the-wall as a name on the spot in front of others.

I think my favorite as "Big Dumb Swedes" either that or "A General Sense of Dismay and Ambiguity".
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2006, 04:36:07 pm »

I think my favorite line is:  Napoleon had one to prevent misery.

I don't think so.  They are kind of surfy, I guess, at least from what I've heard from them on KITH.  But, you know, only three songs by the Barenaked Ladies come to mind:  One Week, (is it called) Pinch Me (?), and then I swear I heard them do a cover of Fight the Power, like, years ago.  So I guess I'm not really an authority on what either band sounds like.

Miles, you've got it right, the Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet are very jangly-surf guitar-esqu and also, as far as I know, they have no vocal tracks.  They had a really annoying hit on this side of the border around the same time as BNL were getting popular here too.  But they are indeed, as wombat postulated, very different bands of the same period and country.  Also, even though the music is different, because they are both sort of intrinsically goofy they sort of fall under the same category.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2006, 04:51:28 pm »

because they are both sort of intrinsically goofy they sort of fall under the same category.

Ah, yes, that is an important category, that might explain it.  Still, mixing up a band with no singing with another band... well let's just say it's good I straightened it out.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2006, 07:43:30 pm »

Was there an all girl punk band called Dracula's Teabag? Or did I make that one up?

I also thought a cool name would be Spanky's Monkey or The MonkeySpanks

Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2006, 02:53:55 am »

I've made up three band names in my life, The Walking Assholes, Fatal Apple, and the one that actually played shows, Instigator.

I'd go to see Big Titty Mama, but only because you are in it Mel.

There was this ex girlfriend who I used to call Big Titty Girly (which she liked btw), because, well, she had big titties, and her name was Charissa which was close enough to Chrissy for me.

Now she's dating some other dude (also) named Paul.  Weird.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2006, 05:46:55 am »

my old band was called "Hell Yes, Noise!". this was right before we were aware that there were other bands who had !'s in their names, and that those bands were very bad. Before that, we were called "Dig This"

My personal favorite is probably the Butthole Surfer's one-time name: "the inalienable right to eat fred astaire's asshole"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2006, 03:39:07 pm »

My band was called the Incoherents.  The name was from an bit about rock music in Mad Magazine from way back, in which one of the bands they spoofed was so named.

I was briefly in a band called Spitshine.  We were originally called Throwing Things Down the Stairs, which I liked much better, but we were overruled.

If I ever do anything like that again, it'll be called New Century Schoolbook.  Daisy Hill Puppy Farm is also a great band name, but you'd probably get sued by Charles Schulz's people.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2006, 04:41:13 pm »

My buddies from college and I used to make absolute LISTS of band names. I always said that if I had been born with any musical prowess whatsoever, I'd have formed a swing band and called it Caps Lock and the Shifters.

Local Traffic would've been my rock band's name.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2006, 06:19:17 pm »

I just wish I could track down some of the music from The Shit. Especially the song Don't Bury Me. But they are a tough band to Google.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2006, 09:07:28 pm »

Fuck is a cool band name.  And, from what little I've heard, they make decent music.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2006, 09:52:38 pm »

Caps Lock and the Shifters.

CAPS LOCK and the Shifters.  Or, if you want to be ironic, caps lock AND THE SHIFTERS.

My made-up band name, circa 10th grade: Hooray with a Headcold.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2006, 10:06:17 pm »

CAPS LOCK and the Shifters.  Or, if you want to be ironic, caps lock AND THE SHIFTERS.

My made-up band name, circa 10th grade: Hooray with a Headcold.

Love it.  Tiny can.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2006, 01:01:04 am »

I don't really have a band name, but if I ever become a Country & Western singer I'm changing my name to Faron Warmer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2006, 03:05:46 am »

Except it played a Billy Joel song for me.  Billy Joel, people.  Billy. Joel.

OMG!  It just did it to me too!  (Pandora.com, that is.)

In an obvious attempt to placate me, the next selection was from a band named The Moles.

I think I did like a Billy Joel song once. Is it possible that they know my secret shame?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2006, 03:59:58 am »

One day I will form my alt-country band- The Uncanny Valley Family Singers.
"Free Beer" is a band that usually gets large crowds.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up