Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I really do fear music  (Read 27813 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2006, 04:35:11 am »

One day I will form my alt-country band- The Uncanny Valley Family Singers.
"Free Beer" is a band that usually gets large crowds.

Tonight at The Pit: Everybody Gets Laid.

Also, I'm not ashamed to say that in the past I've sung along to Piano Man.

Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2006, 05:15:49 am »

OMG!  It just did it to me too!  (Pandora.com, that is.)

In an obvious attempt to placate me, the next selection was from a band named The Moles.

I think I did like a Billy Joel song once. Is it possible that they know my secret shame?

You know, it's not like he's absolutely lousy.  Well, maybe he is.  But yeah, I've enjoyed a song or two on occasion, and yes, it's probably that Pandora knows it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2006, 05:35:27 am »

I think I did like a Billy Joel song once. Is it possible that they know my secret shame?

Was it "All For Leyna"?  That's my Billy Joel secret shame.

Actually, no, that's not even a shame for me, because that song kicks much ass.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2006, 06:02:45 am »

Hey, there are far lower dirty musical secrets that Billy Joel.

Neil Diamond, anyone?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2006, 06:04:42 am »

Hey, there are far lower dirty musical secrets that Billy Joel.

Neil Diamond, anyone?

SWEEEET CAR-O-LIIIIINE, GOOD TIMES NEVER SEEMED SO GOOOOOD

... anyway, in terms of musical shame, I'm still vaguely ashamed of the fact that I'm (sort of) named after a Barry Manilow song. I mean, honestly, Manilow? Gaah.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2006, 06:17:38 am »

My dear, you get hella cans from me for having to courage to admit that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2006, 07:04:37 am »

Hey, there are far lower dirty musical secrets that Billy Joel.

Neil Diamond, anyone?

Neil Diamond is a dirty secret?  Fuck.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2006, 10:30:32 am »

Many years ago, there was a local band named Mister Resister and the Incapacitators.

I once determined that if I was ever in a real band* it should be called The Obscures, but that was in high school and I should probably update it.  Just in case.

As a side note, I believe many MST3K Beefy-guy/Superhero names would work as band names:

Sledge Riprock
Clint Stompheader
Buff Drinklots
Captain Ron Codpiece
Bolt Vanderhuge
Hack Blowfist
Absorbine Sr.
The Buttercats
Mrs. Martian
Johnny Action Finger

And now I think I have to watch some episodes...

*I was in the high school band.  I played trombone, which unless you are one of the two guys with the James Brown or Parliament Funkadelic gigs, is not at all cool.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2006, 01:10:38 pm »

Also, I'm not ashamed to say that in the past I've sung along to Piano Man.

See, I know that somewhere I have guitar chords to some Billy Joel songs or others.  That's a lot more of a committment than just singing along when Billy Joel alredy happens to be singing.  Can I blame it on my high school guitar playing friend who never worried if anything was cool?

Also, speaking of Barry Manilow, my mother bought the sheet music to "Mandy" despite my protests and I had to sing it a few times on the off chance that there'd be an inhertance in my future. Unfortunately she has not won the lottery since then. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2006, 01:13:09 pm »

"Free Beer" is a band that usually gets large crowds.

In the opposite vein, I swear I once heard of a band called "To be announced."  But it must have been a joke, it's such a bad idea.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2006, 05:22:28 pm »

The Buttercats

As a band name, it works, as a team of super heroes... what... what would be their special powers?  Cause, well, I'm just curious.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2006, 06:11:36 pm »

As a band name, it works, as a team of super heroes... what... what would be their special powers?  Cause, well, I'm just curious.

Extreme slipperiness, I presume...

When I was in high school, my ideal band name was The Pragmatic Ghosts of Science, based on a Kibo joke about Archimedes Plutonium. (I was sort of a Usenet dork in those days, see...) I still think it'd work for a prog act.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2006, 09:56:56 pm »

As a side note, I believe many MST3K Beefy-guy/Superhero names would work as band names:

Sledge Riprock
Clint Stompheader
Buff Drinklots
Captain Ron Codpiece
Bolt Vanderhuge
Hack Blowfist
Absorbine Sr.
The Buttercats
Mrs. Martian
Johnny Action Finger

Many of these would also work as porn star names.  My SO has a knack for creating amusing porn star names, some of which include Fun Size, Hot Rod, and The Dollar Genital.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2006, 04:56:03 am »

 Hack Blowfist - jeez that's awesome. Unfortunately, there has already been a singer whos given name trumps all others, be they band or superhero. Thurl friggin Ravenscroft!

When I think of a band name I like, usually I create an mp3 and begin touting it on message boards. This has lead to the formation of such reknowned groups as: Alternative Living Sandwhich, Bishonen Idolpop Genocaust, Ruthless Dukes, and Organism.
Logged
I am older now.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I really do fear music
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2006, 09:34:59 pm »

Wresting this thread back to the topic of actual music...

I got home from work on Sunday realizing that I had a 30 percent off coupon to Borders that would expire when the store closed in about three hours, so I went out in a panic and bought the first Barenaked Ladies I could lay my hands on.  Which was the greatest hits.

This is my my kind of thing.  They rock, but not too hard and not too relentlessly.  I don't like headbanging, but that Pandora.com sometimes seems to think that I like stuff that's awfully twee and folky.  God knows I've committed some pretty dang twee and folky stuff in my life, but it's really not what I am looking for. 

I am a bit cross though that the CD booklet doesn't have the lyrics in it.  Yes, yes, I know, the internet...

Oh and Cort:  I'd rather have a llama or an emu. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up