Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying a Hash related death...  (Read 21683 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2006, 04:29:15 pm »

Also, the immature part of me wants to make a joke about any sort of fingers in a box.

Don't let us hold you back.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2006, 05:44:04 pm »

See, the only Munchkins I know of are the ones from Oz, so... really, I don't tend to think of Munchkins as hot, nor do I want them to be hot.  I could post a link to some horrible midget porn if I was so inclined to go looking for it, but I will not.  Also, the image of Munchkins crammed into a box of some sort for transport is also as inappropriately funny image to me.  For some reason, in my brain, there are Ommpha-Loompahs there too, in the box.   Also, the immature part of me wants to make a joke about any sort of fingers in a box.

Munchkins are a brand name for donut-holes, little nuggets of donut dough that are deep-fried without the signature toroidal shape. Their small size gives them a higher relative surface area and therefore crust-to-crumb ratio than a solid lump at full donut size would have, so the general flavor and texture of a donut is preserved.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2006, 06:09:55 pm »

1) With the plates/boxes/buckets it comes in little cups, which you dunk your chicken fingers and french fries in.  On the sandwich it is squirted on top of the chicken fingers before lettuce and the top of the bun is applied.  I can provide pictures later.

I meant in the sense of "how exactly does a mayonnaise-based sauce become orange? Is there a spice that does it?" I'm picturing a saffron-based dip, see... but yeah, I was aware of the physics of dippin' sauce. Thanks for the refresher, though.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2006, 06:40:23 pm »

Orange with bits of stuff in it?  I just sounds like Thousand Island dressing to me.  And Saffron is a very expensive flavoring agent, so all though their fair sounds damn tasty, I doubt with a menu like the image we see that their gonna be using saffron.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2006, 11:56:17 pm »

Orange with bits of stuff in it?  I just sounds like Thousand Island dressing to me.  And Saffron is a very expensive flavoring agent, so all though their fair sounds damn tasty, I doubt with a menu like the image we see that their gonna be using saffron.

Well, yes, that's why I don't think saffron is actually the flavoring agent. It was just the first thing that came to mind, is all.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2006, 12:31:31 am »

OK, people, I finally went to Chick-fil-A, and, in the context of a thread with frybread lard sandwiches in it, I was disappointed.  It wasn't greasy.

However, I noted that they are open for breakfast and that they have.... biscuits and gravy.  I really didn't need to know that there's a place five blocks away with biscuits and gravy.  I hope they're really bad.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2006, 12:38:58 am »

I'll stick with Taco Bell for the my drive-thru-related breakfast coronaries, thank you very much.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2006, 12:55:01 am »

OK, people, I finally went to Chick-fil-A, and, in the context of a thread with frybread lard sandwiches in it, I was disappointed.  It wasn't greasy.

However, I noted that they are open for breakfast and that they have.... biscuits and gravy.  I really didn't need to know that there's a place five blocks away with biscuits and gravy.  I hope they're really bad.

I somehow feel that I am to blame.  Maybe I hyped it up too much.  But I stand by Chick-fil-A.  No, it's not greasy.  It's less greasy than KFC, probably, but that's part of the appeal.  Plus, best fast-food coleslaw I've ever had.

Also, I want to try one of these frybread lard sandwiches.  Just once.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2006, 02:25:38 am »

I think I could eventually see the value of fried chicken that isn't greasy.  But I should have gone and satisfied the Popeye's craving first, to give it a fair try.

I keep meaning to say - somewhere the food writer Calvin Trillin, who will eat anything, says roughly that he thinks that Navaho frybread is the only food he ever came across that has no redeeming value whatsoever.  From the description I think it's like the frybread we were discussing earlier, and I wonder if the problem is, he never had it with more lard on it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2006, 03:25:04 am »

When fried chicken is prepared properly it isn't greasy at all.  But none of the major chains do it right.  I 'was going to post a picture of Fried Chicken done right, but I've  been in Houston only on the weekends for about a month now so I'm unable to do that.  I'm a little off of my game, sorry.

But that's not what I came here to say.  I just wanted to point out that we are a board of supposed food connoisseurs, yet this is about the 5th. time we've gone off the deep end veritably gushing over some of the lowest common denominator foods in the universe.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2006, 03:32:40 am »


But that's not what I came here to say.  I just wanted to point out that we are a board of supposed food connoisseurs, yet this is about the 5th. time we've gone off the deep end veritably gushing over some of the lowest common denominator foods in the universe.

Well sure.  Shouldn't a connoisseur know which are the best lowest common denominator foods? 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2006, 03:44:46 am »

Well sure.  Shouldn't a connoisseur know which are the best lowest common denominator foods? 

You make a very valid point, carry on.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2006, 03:36:35 pm »

**WARNING:  I do not recommend eating this.  EVER.**

FRY BREAD:

4 c flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c warm water
1 c lard (oil) for frying
Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Add warm water.
Knead until dough is soft but not sticky. (add more warm water if needed)
Cover bowl and let stand about 15 minutes.
Pull off pieces of dough and pat into round shapes about 1/2" to 3/4" thick.
Make a small hole in the center of each round.
Melt lard in a heavy frying pan.
One at a time brown each round (on both sides) in the hot fat.

For a frybread lard sandwich, let the fry bread cool compleatly, then slice in half, cut a fairly thick slice of lard, place in the middle and eat.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 02:44:29 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2006, 03:52:04 pm »

I make mine with warm milk instead of water, and don't use lard (shortening or canola oil, usually), but yeah, that sound about right.  I just made some last week to go with the batch of chili my gf made for dinner.

I try to limit myself to making fry bread no more than 1-2 times a year, but it doesn't always work.

I'm not going to try it with lard, though.


Not yet, anyway.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying a Hash related death...
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2006, 04:13:36 pm »

I pride myself on being willing to try eating anything once.  I feel strongly that the sweet, fat flesh of the pig is one of the planet's great gifts to humanity.  And I strongly suspect that we will one day arrive at that future predicted by Woody Allen where steak is a health food.

But, still, at the phrase 'a fairly thick slice of lard' I tremble with fear.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up