Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntington Utah  (Read 35143 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2006, 09:19:31 am »

Slam Bradley has been 'stached up for the occasion. Whatever this occasion might be.

Unused alternate mustachioed Slam:
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2006, 06:50:07 pm »

All this time I thought it was a coffee cup on a saucer. Wow.

That's more plausible than its actual origin which is, if I recall correctly, from one of the very first threads on the board -- here (thank you, search function!) Ah, back in August 2003, when I was a shiny newb.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2006, 07:04:11 pm »

Ah yes, back when I'd just declare a topic "LAME" and lock it, a la Onstad back on Dumbrella.

Lovely.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2006, 08:48:33 pm »

That's more plausible than its actual origin which is, if I recall correctly, from one of the very first threads on the board -- here (thank you, search function!) Ah, back in August 2003, when I was a shiny newb.

Okay, I do not feel so bad. That is not the sort of backstory that you would immediately guess. I mean, not feeling bad aside from that I apparently should have read all the archives by now. I did like the thread ending, nice and to the point.

Hey look, more biology nerd humour!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2006, 09:14:51 pm »

I am surprised that I only get four hits when I search 'googly eyes.'  I could have sworn this was a topic we discussed more often.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2006, 09:29:54 pm »

Hey look, more biology nerd humour!

swinehund, you have redox-ed your way into my heart.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2006, 09:52:48 pm »

swinehund, you have redox-ed your way into my heart.

So I working on how evolutionary rates at each site in a protein are affected by general structural factors, and ADH is one of the enzymes I'm working on. I'm all computing the RMS distance between isoforms, trying to consider how differences in substrate or flexibility of binding may complicate things. Blah blah blah. Not too long ago, I could draw the structure of all 20 common amino acids from memory, and push electrons around the TCA cycle quite readily.

Did you know that while writing the description for that picture, I had to pull out the LeO the Lion goes GrrrR (loses electrons = oxidation, gains electrons = reduction) mnemonic from high school to figure out what happened to ethanol? It was not a proud moment.
Logged

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2006, 10:03:39 pm »

Science Stuff...

Suddenly, I feel dumb.  I don't know why...
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2006, 10:04:46 pm »

Did you know that while writing the description for that picture, I had to pull out the LeO the Lion goes GrrrR (loses electrons = oxidation, gains electrons = reduction) mnemonic from high school to figure out what happened to ethanol? It was not a proud moment.

I wish I had known that mnemonic last semester.  I have relied on the dull knowledge that since electrons have a negative charge, gaining one is a loss of positive charge, hence reduction.  Yawn.

If it makes you feel better, I pulled out my notes on the subject of fermentation and spent about ten minutes trying to think of a pun, but to no avail.  But I'm glad I did scan my notes, because I almost posted "You have oxphos-ed your way into my heart," which would have been embarrassing.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2006, 11:15:51 pm »

Usually I resist this sort of tomfoolery, but I had to join in on the mustache avatar business.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2006, 11:16:53 pm »

I'm trying to come up with a pun dealing with injecting Wnt1+myc reporter constructs into fertilized zebragiraffe eggs and then immunohistochemically assaying for proliferation and Wnt1 activity, but it just ain't coming. Aside from maybe the wild backfire of the TSA -- for when you want your fluorochemistry to turn out like your last vacation!
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2006, 01:00:33 am »

I'm trying to come up with a pun dealing with injecting Wnt1+myc reporter constructs into fertilized zebragiraffe eggs and then immunohistochemically assaying for proliferation and Wnt1 activity, but it just ain't coming. Aside from maybe the wild backfire of the TSA -- for when you want your fluorochemistry to turn out like your last vacation!

Yeah, these things run the risk of being severe in-jokes, even if they're good. I have to admit I didn't even get the TSA bit.

The closest I came to a decent one was when I had a pet rat, and she had attacked a zucchini and left a few little nibbles in it. I called them yum binding sites and thought it was funny. I'm not so sure now.

Hey wait, I've got one. Why did the chicken cross the road? Sexual selection.
I'm having a really hard time here.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2006, 01:07:38 am »

hmm.

the inner dork in me is crying. I want to have a good joke to tell! I am jealous!

You're all a bunch of geeks! Who cares about your stupid science anyway! *rushes off in tears*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2006, 03:50:44 am »

I've finally cracked and I've applied a beard to my avatar. Looking good, eh? Although the floatingness of it all is creeping me out a bit. What was this thread about again?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Huntington Utah
« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2006, 06:33:46 am »

Yeah, these things run the risk of being severe in-jokes, even if they're good. I have to admit I didn't even get the TSA bit.

That particularly weak "pun" was based on a double meaning of TSA: "Tyramide Signal Amplification," a method by which you improve fluorescent labeling during immunohistochemistry but which actually just makes your embryos these homogenous glowing green wads, and the Transportation Safety Authority, the jerkoffs who randomly search my bag way more than would be truly random.

Quote
The closest I came to a decent one was when I had a pet rat, and she had attacked a zucchini and left a few little nibbles in it. I called them yum binding sites and thought it was funny. I'm not so sure now.

Hey wait, I've got one. Why did the chicken cross the road? Sexual selection.
I'm having a really hard time here.

Man, it's okay. I'm reminded of the time at UCI that I was asked by a drunken postdoc what my favorite enzyme was, and I choked and said "holdases!" Which aren't even enzymes, because I'm an idiot.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up