Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight  (Read 5703 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 06:25:50 pm »

I was going to ask whether y'all think crispy stellas is a Beefism for ice-cold Amstel. That is my hypothesis.

I was thinking Stella Artois (sp?)
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 07:44:38 pm »

I was thinking Stella Artois (sp?)

Are those any good?
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 08:03:42 pm »

Answer is YES.

Yeah, they're pretty delicious, but really hard to find most places.  I just discovered that one of my favorite bars here just got it on tap, so I'm quite pleased - before this, I had to scrounge a few liquor stores looking for year-old six-packs, which was no good for anyone.

Yeah, it's kinda Heineken-esque, all hoppy and whatnot, with some good bitterness, but a little more mellow.  Good stuff.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 08:03:50 pm »

Yes. I love the archetypal reversion to youthful behaviors upon contact with a friend's mom, and I love the further development of Mrs. Smuckles as she relates to the rest of Ray's little friends. Beef's insistence that he will try to keep it on as weight (my best guess for this is that it involves eating the cheese sandwich and taking a nap, yeah) is also precious. Who knew the ChatSack storyline would end up this way?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 08:06:39 pm »

So is this "Thank You Friday"?

Naaaaaahh, man.  Fuck you.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 08:18:33 pm »

I don't drink beer but my parents have about a half-dozen Stella Artois glasses from a bar that had it on tap and you got to take the glass home (1 per person per visit).
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2006, 09:04:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure we've seen Stella references before, and I've always guessed it was in referene to Artois.  Maybe Beef's descriptors apply to the alleged "crisp, clean and fresh" characterisitcs of said pils. 

I think it smells like a sweaty shoe and tastes like the foot that made the shoe sweaty.  If you're going to stack up some cold beer for a pool party, I would not choose Stella.

It's also omnipresent in NYC.  It seems like every bar has it on tap and the sloppy-haired douchebag hipsters can't fall over themselves fast enough to get one. 
Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2006, 09:14:36 pm »

They're obviously Stella-Dora breadsticks.

Too bad the crunchy Stellas are probably beer. Stella-Doras are the most deeeeeelicious things on Earth. (Pretty effective for keeping on as weight, too.)
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2006, 09:18:56 pm »

I know nothing of this Stella.  (STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

But I do love how Beef goes back to good boy mode, the way he used to do with Gramma K.  But really, don't your childhood friends' parents always retain more of their authority?  I just tried to imagine calling my best friend's parents by their first names, and I'm completely unable to do it, even though I am almost as old as they were when I first met them.

And a woman who would bring Coke and Pepsi to little league would so hand out five dollars for a sandwich.  She'd also probably give a $25 check for Christmas.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 12:04:37 am »

Dogg on a Hogg? 

Anyway, I like how Mr. Roast Beef not only gets polite but also reverts to childhood him.  He basically repeat just such as what Mrs. Smuckles says, and the "I hope that I find out someday" is an immediate implication of the innocent non-dating years which he's obviously not in; only she didn't really ask.
.

what is interesting to me, is why?  does Beef not mention Molly simply because he is acting like a child?  I think that Beef knows Mrs. Smuckles will correct you even for standing improperly.  Beef does not want to offend her.  So does he believe that contradicting her is rude, or does he believe that his having a girlfriend and growing up is offensive to Mrs. Smuckles in itself?  is Beef ashamed to be in a relationship - too ashamed to admit it to Ray's mom?

also, hell yes Milk and Cheese, misterqueue.  gin and sugar 4 life (mimes are more useless than parsley)
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 12:07:10 am »

what is interesting to me, is why?  does Beef not mention Molly simply because he is acting like a child?  I think that Beef knows Mrs. Smuckles will correct you even for standing improperly.  Beef does not want to offend her.  So does he believe that contradicting her is rude, or does he believe that his having a girlfriend and growing up is offensive to Mrs. Smuckles in itself?  is Beef ashamed to be in a relationship - too ashamed to admit it to Ray's mom?

also, hell yes Milk and Cheese, misterqueue.  gin and sugar 4 life (mimes are more useless than parsley)

A tiny can for you my friend!   Charles Nelson Reilly!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2006, 01:39:47 am »

hmm.
this is funny, because I have to eat more around my friend's moms. They always seem to think that I'm malnourished... they constantly offer me food.
actually, I probably am malnourished. The worst was this one time (in reality: a week ago. exactly a week.) that I started trying to explain to this guy's mom that I couldn't eat dinner, because I had just drank (drunk?) too much soda. And I was trying to say it without explaining that I felt sick, because I didn't want to seem rude. And I think she thinks I wasn't eating because I have some kind of eating problem. Mostly based on the fact that her son constantly accuses me of being anorexic. Now, yesterday, my mom informed me that "If lose weight when you go to college, you'll have to come right back home", as if I'm just waiting to get out of her sight to skip meals, since I secretly want to not eat food.

ANyway, what I'm trying to say is that I have akward parent-problems like food. I am like The Beef in this respect!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2006, 02:10:12 am »

From that back 3/4 view, I agree with Mrs. Smuckles.  Look at Beef's arms and shoulders, he is too thin.  Ray should be feeding him well.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 02:54:18 am »

So is this "Thank You Friday"?

I threw out Fuck You Friday at work today and it killed.  Killed I tell you.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 20, 2006 - I Promise To Try To Keep It On As Weight
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2006, 03:18:42 pm »

Stella is the beer of Belgium, and since my mom was adopted by Belgian immigrants and lived in Belgium for a little while, and since Belgium is the only country outside North America that I've spent any time in, I know Stella.  Here in Canada Stella is quite popular, and you can get it at most places.  You can also go to the liquor mart and buy it in cans, bottles, or keg form.  I don't find Stella to be all that foreign tasting, but then I've had beers imported from France where there's a thick sediment on the bottom and the beer itself has in interesting, deep, smoky flavour.  I had a special relationship with a thick, pungent beer of such a description, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.  It was from France and had a label with an animal on it - either a bull or a dog if anyone can help me.  We had a fourth act club in a play I was in, where the entire cast, except for 3 people, did not appear in the fourth (and final act) of the play, so we would sit in the boys' dressing room and consume as much alcohol as possible, then stumble out drunk for our bows.   Good times.  And someone had given the cast a case of this beer as a gift, and no one else liked it, and so I enjoyed and imbibed.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up