Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TAB(?)  (Read 21231 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 11:15:37 pm »

I miss Philly's own Frank's Beverages "Black Cherry Wishniak"

I mostly miss that "Wishniak" is meaningless.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 02:49:59 am »

A very similar drink to Fresca is 50/50. Anyone heard of it? I like it more than Fresca. It's the same lime and grapefruit mix. Very yumm. It came in both cans and bottles.

And since I can't remember how to make linked words here are some pretty pictures.



I like that bottle cap one a lot...hmmmm
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 03:05:04 am »

Let's be fair to Cel-Ray Tonic: it says right on the can/bottle that it is soda that tastes like celery. If you do not think this is a good idea and yet you drink it anyway, you have nobody to blame but yourself.
(It really does taste just like celery.)

Yes - and I went in knowing that. I just had to taste the hideousness for myself.

Dr. Brown redeemed himself with his black cherry and cream sodas; both were excellent.
Logged

Immortal

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 09:09:20 am »

www.sodapopstop.com

you can buy all sorts of crazy drinks on that site there
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 01:26:03 pm »

I used to drink something called Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge which was great.  I miss it.

Dear god, you actually like that stuff? Ewww...

Now Orangina, there's a beverage for me (and it probably tastes better with gin in than TaB does).
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 03:26:22 pm »

I googled 'wishniak' out of curiousity, and most of the hits linked it directly to some kind of Black Cherry Soda, and many noted that it's kind of a Philly thing (even Philly's wiki pages).  I did find a recipe, though, and it sounds tasty.  I also found this site which gives almost no information.

And there are some good sodas at that store's site (like this one).  I may have to make an order eventually.

Did any of you try the Jones Soda holiday flavors?  Some of the flavors, lke Pumpkin Pie or Cranberry, sound great, but they also have flavors like Turkey and Gravy and Brussels Sprout.  I think a new round of flavors come out every year, but it's the same idea.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 04:18:40 pm »

Frank's sodas were a Philly tradition - very popular here.  I actually never much cared for the black cherry when I was a kid (I love it now) but their orange soda was made with the most delicious artificial flavours, and it's still the best damned orange soda I've ever tasted.

When they were going out of business the local convenience store ordered many cases of Franks soda and I bought a bunch to hoarde.  I found a can in my closet about a year later and it was basically like treasure.  You can actually still buy Franks sodas online, for around $60 per six pack, or $10/can.

It may be worth it to be reminded of winning a little league game when I was nine years old.  Every time we won we'd get a Frank's soda (the only brand the local snack bars would stock) and a hot dog.  When we lost we'd get a Frank's soda.  I still think of little league a lot of times when I drink soda of any brand from a can.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 05:38:51 pm »

Did any of you try the Jones Soda holiday flavors?  Some of the flavors, lke Pumpkin Pie or Cranberry, sound great, but they also have flavors like Turkey and Gravy and Brussels Sprout.  I think a new round of flavors come out every year, but it's the same idea.

I had the sampler of those waiting for me under the Xmas tree this year, but I have yet to brave them.  I'm not sure that I should.  I did, however, try the Jones Caramel Appel they had out for Halloween.  It tasted like artificial apple and artificial caramel, way to sweet, but tolerable in the small cans.  I eventually finished off the entire six-pack, but dank the last one mostly just to get it out of the fridge.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 07:35:05 pm »

I drink Canfield's Peach sometimes.

What I miss is Arizona's Root Beer Float and their Chocolate Covered Cherry Soda. Now all they make is tea and I hate tea.
Logged

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 08:00:44 pm »

I like China Cola and I cannot find it anywhere!
Logged
R U Passionate??

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 04:03:57 pm »

I enjoy Fresca.  It has a nice astringent quality to it.  But then, who's the guy who bought a six-pack of Stella Artois this weekend just because a depressed cartoon cat on the Intenet recommended it?  Me.  (I am.) 

Anybody else remember OK Soda?  I don't know how widely-distributed it was, but it was available in Boston the year I lived there.  It was a triumph of packaging over content; I bought it for the illustrations by Daniel Clowes and Charles Burns, not so much for the soda itself, which tasted a little like flat Cheerwine. 

I'm more discerning now (although see paragraph 1, above).
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 05:16:29 pm »

We've bought both whiskey and vodka on the recommendations of a cartoon cat, if I recall.  But Stella is poo-pooed around my house as the Belgian beer for people who don't like Belgian beer.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 09:02:39 pm »

I really like RC Cola, and when I was a kid we used to be able to buy it here on the shelves next to Coke and Pepsi, but not anymore.  Now all shelf space in stores is owned by either Coke or Pepsi.  They've even choked out Jolt and Dr. Pepper in most places, except just around Philly where Dr. Pepper is bottled and distrubuted by the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. in South Jersey (and Mr. Pibb isn't).

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 09:19:22 pm »

RC Cola is a weird one, because for many years, I drank one RC Cola a year.  I like it, but the only time I ever drank it was when I was driving from San Francisco to Mendocino for my family Thanksgiving, we'd stop at a giraffe shanty around Bodega Bay to stretch for a second, and buy an RC.  Then, the first time I went grocery shopping in college, I was shocked to see whole cases of RC Cola just sitting on the shelves, waiting for me to buy it.  I bought one twelve pack, once, then stopped, because it took all the special away.  I do like it though, but it can't replace Coke as my cola of choice.  It's right next to Dr Pepper, I think, as a refreshing alternate beverage, but just above Ginger Ale, which I drink only on airplanes (I have no idea why) or with vodka, very late in the evening.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Thee

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • I adidas Rio
    • View Profile
    • New England Fashion Update!
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 09:29:01 pm »

I, too, only order ginger ale on airplanes.  Eerie.
Logged
R U Passionate??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up