Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TAB(?)  (Read 21242 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2006, 02:54:46 am »

Does this make booze more or less expensive up there?

In Utah you can only buy liquor and wine from State liquor stores, and in Washington it's the same with liquor.  It was so weird the first time I stepped into a grocery store in Tucson, AZ and saw the liquor aisle.  Did I say weird?  I meant divine.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2006, 03:02:16 am »

our's can sell cold beer but nobody can sell between midnight and 6am (but you can serve until 2)
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2006, 03:16:25 am »

Wow acoxcat, that totally sucks the big teat.  It's basically silly.

When it comes to the cost of booze, all I know is that wine is definitly significatly cheeper in the U.S. as your country has many climates a kin to actually growing grapes (okay, there are a few places in Canada that grow grapes, but really.  Really.), and that when I was a kid, my parents always stocked up on huge amounts of booze at the duty free shop at the border. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2006, 03:21:38 am »

Does this make booze more or less expensive up there?

"total tax on Canadian alcohol is 83 percent (as opposed to 44 percent in the United States)"
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2006, 05:27:30 am »

"total tax on Canadian alcohol is 83 percent (as opposed to 44 percent in the United States)"

Yeah, but that's in Canadian dollars so it evens out.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2006, 06:12:25 am »

Here in Pennsylvania you can only buy beer at "beer distributors," and liquor and wine at State Stores, which are indeed run by the state.

Trivia: the state of Pennsylvania is the largest single purchaser of alcohol in the world.  We like to drink here.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2006, 02:12:33 pm »

Yeah but you people have no sales tax and you can pick up a sixer at a bar or "sub shop" so it's not as bad as it sounds. Can those places also sell other low-alcholol beverages like Mike's or Smirnoff Ice?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2006, 05:34:58 pm »

I believe they can--when I tended bar in PA many moons ago we sold six-packs of wine coolers.  (Or I should say, we had them available for sale.  Didn't actually sell that many.)

To sell carry-out beer, your establishment had to do a certain percentage of your business in food.  I am quite sure that our bar routinely falsified the books to make it look like we sold more food than we did in order to meet this requirement.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2006, 05:38:19 pm »

I've been told that in VA the minimum food percentage applies as well but don't know for sure if it's true. But it would explain why I've never seen a regular bar here.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2006, 05:46:46 pm »

I just want to say that I can buy Vodka at the gas station if need be where I live.  This is a wonderful thing I think.


"Gimme 14 on pump 8 and a 1.5 ml of Absolut please."  Because you just never know, YOU NEVER KNOW.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2006, 05:48:34 pm »

I just want to say that I can buy Vodka at the gas station if need be where I live.  This is a wonderful thing I think.


"Gimme 14 on pump 8 and a 1.5 ml of Absolut please."  Because you just never know, YOU NEVER KNOW.

See, when I left St. Louis, this is what I left - I could buy a 40, some gas, porn, and over-the-counter amphetamines at the same place - in Indiana, I have to make 4 stops to do that.  It's bullshit.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2006, 06:00:41 pm »

Hell, you left out Lotto, a backroom blowjob, and angsty teen pumpmaidens; that's probably another 3 stops right there.


Unless you can mix the latter two somehow.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2006, 06:06:15 pm »

Yeah, bars can sell packaged beer, wine cooler, and malt beverages (Smirnoff Ice, Mike's Hard Whatever, &c.).

And delis and such can pretty easily (although EXPENSIVELY) get a liquor license that enables them to sell beer, malt beverages, wine coolers, &c., but not hard liquor or wine.

Resturants and bars can of course serve all manner of spirits, but cannot sell packaged hard liquor or wine.

Also, we have some small wineries in PA that can sell their own wares on the premises.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »

Virginia indeed has rules that pretty much prohibit "bars" as the rest of the world knows them. And it was recently big news when some of the ABC stores (state-owned liquor shops) started opening on Sunday. But not the one near my house. Dammit.

I am reminded of my old friend Tara, who argued (quite seriously) that closing the shops on Sundays was good because it gave people one less reason not to go to church (which was something EVERYONE should have been doing anyway), and furthermore that in addition to the holidays they currently close for, they should close for Valentine's Day, because (again, she was serious) people who were single might be tempted to drown their loneliness in alcohol, AND THE STATE SHOULD NOT LET THAT HAPPEN. And St. Patrick's Day, because there was "already enough debauchery associated with that day."

Tara had a unique worldview.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TAB(?)
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2006, 08:55:49 pm »

There are 3 ABC stores within walking distance of my house and they're all open on Sundays. Which is actually pretty convenient.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up