Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tell him I'm not in.  (Read 9152 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Tell him I'm not in.
« on: January 23, 2006, 10:42:44 am »

I've never been huge on comics mainly because the market seems to be split into people trying to be 'artistic' which usually seems to fail miserably and people pandering to the lowest common denominator, but I think it's worth remember every once in a while, at least we don't still have storylines like this.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 11:00:41 am »

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

I always said that the mainstream superhero comics were basically Soap Operas intended mostly for boys.  So, there you go.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 02:07:13 pm »

C'mon, guys! How can you not be moved? Superman is crying a SINGLE TEAR.

Maybe, somewhere, someone is throwing Kryptonite onto the highway.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »

A tiny can to doc for making my morning a laughter filled morning. Alfred was all flustered because he originally told Clark that Bruce was there, "Oh sure Supes, let me go get him. Bruce! Bruce you there?" pause "I am sorry Mr. Kent...Mr. Wayne...that is to say..." Clark clutching the phone cord, oh man that's classic.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 04:11:28 pm »

This once again enforces my feeling that Broke Back Mountain is an unoriginal load of crap.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 07:57:02 pm »

I dunno, maybe I'm too far inside the giraffebowl but I think that other than the overwrought narrator and single tear this was okay. Those elements make it humorously overblown, but I can't rank this as a crap comic. Funny, though.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 08:16:31 pm »

I've never been huge on comics mainly because the market seems to be split into people trying to be 'artistic' which usually seems to fail miserably and people pandering to the lowest common denominator, but I think it's worth remember every once in a while, at least we don't still have storylines like this.

I still think there's a lot of ground between these two extremes you're talking about... I've just finished reading Top Ten by Alan Moore, and that's exactly a super hero soap opera... only awesome.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 09:51:29 pm »

I dunno, maybe I'm too far inside the giraffebowl but I think that other than the overwrought narrator and single tear this was okay. Those elements make it humorously overblown, but I can't rank this as a crap comic. Funny, though.

I think the part that gets to me about it is the weird cliche comic-book emphasis choices in what is otherwise everyday dialogue. Clark's soliloquy in the upper right is the best example of this: "Batman's been really TOUCHY since that argument he had with me and the rest of the JLA. Despite what's happened, we should still be FRIENDS. I don't want to LOSE that!" I mean, okay, it is emphasizing the important concepts in the thought bubble, but it's just a bit goofy.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 09:55:23 pm »

I told my little brother (ie: he's 14. and taller than me. so, not so little.) to read Red Son. He enjoyed it, but commented that he couldn't read the words in bold without heavily emphasizing them, almost to the point of yelling. It led to some funny dialogue.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 11:28:47 pm »

And of course, someone already made this.

I promise it wasn't me...
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 12:56:40 am »

This once again enforces my feeling that Broke Back Mountain is an unoriginal load of crap.

Now, I haven't seen the movie.  But aren't you marginalizing homosexuals by emphasizing this too much?  I mean, sure, it's not the first time a male homosexual relationship has been the focus of a storyline, but does that automatically make it a load of crap?  Can a story about two men in love only be good if it's the first one out there?  It almost seems that you mean to say that the only possible purpose of such a story is to push the envelope.  Perhaps we've reached a point in our culture where a story like that can be told for the story's sake.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 01:02:00 am »

I think the problem is that there has been too much made of the movie as some kind of iconic 'strike' against the perceived move toward conservatism in general and, especially, the incredible commercial success of movies like "The Passion of the Christ". To my mind, the hype for "Brokeback" has been nothing short of desperate given the poor commercial performance of movies in general. As long as it's perceived as a political statement rather than a film that challenges people individually at the level of their own beliefs and perceptions about their fellow human beings, it won't shake off that perception. Regardless of the content.

What I want to know, though is do the gay cowboys eat pudding?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 02:15:00 am »

From everything I've heard it was a movie designed to win an Oscar. Not a movie designed to be good or entertaining.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 02:23:50 am »

See, I think the entire "they're gay cowboys, GIVE THIS MOVIE AN OSCAR" push is misguided in any case. If the movie sucks... well, then it sucks regardless of gay cowboy involvement; end of story. If it's good, though, you end up doing it a disservice by implying that it is only notable because it's a love story between two men, and that's disheartening.

Haven't seen the film, so I can't say whether it's good or not, but... yeah.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tell him I'm not in.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 02:29:03 am »

What it boils down to is that cowboys are always lame. The only entertaining cowboys ever were in a little movie called Blazing Saddles.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up