Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...  (Read 13812 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2006, 11:54:45 pm »

Great Caesar's Ghost! People, can we at least try to have only one thread at a time that turns into a nitpicking prescriptive grammar session?  Have mercy!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2006, 12:27:23 am »

How can you have a contraction when one of the elements is not a word?

I'm with Aug if only that the logical argument is that 'ya' is a diminutive or lesser form of 'you' to begin with.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2006, 12:33:38 am »

Sigh. I guess not.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2006, 12:57:40 am »

We only have a few topics around here

Cartoons (occasionally)
Wrestling (occasionally)
Grammar (frequently)
Music (often)
Tiny Cans of Dr Pepper (incessantly)
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2006, 01:16:50 am »

Tiny Cans of Dr Pepper (incessantly)

You know, I'm going to start complaining repeatedly the next time Jesus or sports are brought up, because I find those things silly I think it's best if people don't discuss them on a board I'm on instead of just ignoring the discussion.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2006, 01:20:18 am »

Are there any rules about how to make a contraction out of two or more words that are already contractions?  For instance, would the contraction of "you all are not" be "y'all'ren't"?

NB: I live in the South, so "y'all'ren't" being incorrect will not necessarily preclude my using it.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2006, 01:22:14 am »

Remember when A Cox's girlfriend showed us pictures of herself eating Vanilla ice cream with specks?  Those were the days.  That's how i'll always remember this thread.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2006, 03:07:07 am »

We only have a few topics around here

Cartoons (occasionally)
Wrestling (occasionally)
Grammar (frequently)
Music (often)
Tiny Cans of Dr Pepper (incessantly)

That's partly what this was for.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2006, 08:10:56 am »

"Y'all" is singular.

"All y'all" is plural.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2006, 08:12:20 am »

Are there any rules about how to make a contraction out of two or more words that are already contractions?  For instance, would the contraction of "you all are not" be "y'all'ren't"?

My favourite correct contraction is "shouldn't've" for "should not have."

My Uncle Phil contracts "I think not" to just "I thinkn't."

It's funny when he says it.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2006, 07:57:09 pm »

You know, I'm going to start complaining repeatedly the next time Jesus or sports are brought up, because I find those things silly I think it's best if people don't discuss them on a board I'm on instead of just ignoring the discussion.

No one said you have to enjoy being here. You're entitled to your cognitive discomfort.


Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2006, 08:44:29 pm »

I could say the same to you.  My point was that no one is going to be happy with ALL the discussion but as long as it's not downright mean or something I would never go and say that people's posts were stupid and then bemoan it as you have done.

So in essence you could say the same thing to yourself. 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2006, 09:14:39 pm »

No one said you have to enjoy being here. You're entitled to your cognitive discomfort.

We're suppposed to enjoy being here??
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2006, 09:28:35 pm »

Does anyone remember that old Batman episode where the chief said Great Caeser's Ghost! so often that the ghost of Julius Caeser came to him and started making him do crimes? It turned out it WASN'T actually thr ghost of Julius Caeser.
And he would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for that MEDDLING BATMAN!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-introductions are my least favorite thing...
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2006, 10:29:42 pm »

How can you have a contraction when one of the elements is not a word?

I'm with Aug if only that the logical argument is that 'ya' is a diminutive or lesser form of 'you' to begin with.

i'd drop a tiny can of dr pepper on ya'll like a mick foley elbow to the concrete off the apron but
my computer ate my ability to click links while i was trying to listen to the best band ever, Clutch, on
my old computer using a weird front end for an old version of winamp that i saw recommended in the
comments section of some hipster-off-the-wall webcomic that sucks.

ps
how can you have a word if the word is not a word?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up